Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changed rear brake lines and brakes no longer work
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I said, I might be wrong. I stand corrected

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zak414
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have a Bentley manual. I've followed everything outlined in there and that's why I'm here now.

I've been able to do some pressure bleeding like was suggested and I did start to see some fluid come out of the rear driver's side bleeder. At that point I decided to try to bleed that wheel cylinder. Upon doing that I noticed that I get a different feeling when pumping the pedal while bleeding the rear brakes than I do when bleeding one of the front brakes. When I bleed the front, the pedal goes down smooth until it bottoms out and I get the feeling that fluid is being pumped through the lines. However, when I try to bleed the rear, the pedal goes down and builds up pressure near the end of travel. I get this feeling whether a rear bleeder is open or closed, it is in fact the front brakes being applied.

Does that sound like a failed master cylinder? Or am I just giving up too soon on the pressure bleeding as well?
Big Cap Distributor rebuilt by Tasb
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zak414 wrote:
Yes I have a Bentley manual. I've followed everything outlined in there and that's why I'm here now.

I've been able to do some pressure bleeding like was suggested and I did start to see some fluid come out of the rear driver's side bleeder. At that point I decided to try to bleed that wheel cylinder. Upon doing that I noticed that I get a different feeling when pumping the pedal while bleeding the rear brakes than I do when bleeding one of the front brakes. When I bleed the front, the pedal goes down smooth until it bottoms out and I get the feeling that fluid is being pumped through the lines. However, when I try to bleed the rear, the pedal goes down and builds up pressure near the end of travel. I get this feeling whether a rear bleeder is open or closed, it is in fact the front brakes being applied.

Does that sound like a failed master cylinder? Or am I just giving up too soon on the pressure bleeding as well?

You're not done yet, keep pressure bleeding. You'll get a full pedal once all the air is out... The initial pedal travel is air compressing in the circuit.. The resistance at the end is hydraulic pressure coming up.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zak414
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, do you have the Bentley manual? There is a fantastic section on description & operation of the brakes. Once you wrap your mind around how the main parts function together, it will be cake.

Completely true statement here. Once I went back to basics and started looking at things I realized what my problem was. I never realized that my brake fluid reservoir has two chambers, one for the front and one for the rear. So, the whole time I thought my reservoir was full, only the front section was therefore sending nothing but air to my rear brakes. Once I got that sorted out, bleeding the brakes took no time at all and everything is working good.

I feel very stupid for not have noticed this over the last year of owning this car. I do appreciate everyone's help to lead me to a solution and I have learned a very valuable lesson after all of this.
Big Cap Distributor rebuilt by Tasb
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zak414 wrote:
Quote:
Also, do you have the Bentley manual? There is a fantastic section on description & operation of the brakes. Once you wrap your mind around how the main parts function together, it will be cake.

Completely true statement here. Once I went back to basics and started looking at things I realized what my problem was. I never realized that my brake fluid reservoir has two chambers, one for the front and one for the rear. So, the whole time I thought my reservoir was full, only the front section was therefore sending nothing but air to my rear brakes. Once I got that sorted out, bleeding the brakes took no time at all and everything is working good.

I feel very stupid for not have noticed this over the last year of owning this car. I do appreciate everyone's help to lead me to a solution and I have learned a very valuable lesson after all of this.

Great!! Glad to hear it. It's nice to find easy fixes like that. I make mistakes on my vw it seems like every week. Thes cars/buses are very different from most any other vehicle I've worked on and it can be tricky sometimes to work on them.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: