Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sean's Mild Type 4 2056cc Build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air Cooleds Only
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Sean's Mild Type 4 2056cc Build Reply with quote

For your entertainment.... I bring you the journey of Sean's 77 Riviera Camper. Equipped with an 091 Transaxle & 1.8L Engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sean has owned this gem since April 2014. It was purchased in Boise, Idaho; immediately driven down to Prescott, Arizona. After the 24 hour road trip, the bus decided not to start.... Let the problems begin.

I met Sean right before the Jerome Jamboree. He was having problems finding a starter for his bus. After a couple failed attempts with used starters we found a rebuilt unit that worked just fine. Once running the engine had a prominent flat spot with the infamous weber progressive. I helped him get the jetting a little more dialed in so he and his family could get up the hill to Jerome.

After the Jerome Jamboree, Sean still bitched and moaned that his Bus still had some running issues Razz Hmmmm, I asked the usual questions, have the valves been done , dwell , timing etc. We got to compression and he remembered that one cylinder was lower than the rest. I double checked Compression, 105,105,104,95. Not terrible, but definitely on the low end of the range. To boot their were a number of oil leaks.. O and did I mention the lower engine studs were to short to get a nut on.

So Engine comes out & the questions start flyin... Should we just fix the obvious, should we do just the top end, or how about the whole damn thing???

If you read the Subject line...There's a good chance you know the answer to the previous question.

Before you read on. My knowledge of type 4's is not vast. Especially when it comes to turning up the performance level. I have built quite a few type 1 engines, in many different formats, this will be my first T4. Most likley I will have a few questions along the way , and would enjoy constructive input from our fellow samba members.

We have about $3k for parts to front this engine build, and have decided to try and build a 2056cc 71x96. I'm supplying the crank and rod cores from a 2.0 lying around the shop. Cam- undecided, something great for a camper Smile , AA Biral 96mm P&C's, AMC 1.8 Heads, Dual Decade 40mm Carbs.

So here we currently are. With a torn down 1.8L.

Since the majority of the internals are going to be put aside , all we are concerned about at the present is the case. After a good cleaning, first thing I noticed was one of the lifter bores was scarred up from some junk in the oil most likely.

I have a 914 case that I was willing to give up for the build , unfortunately it has an obvious issue as well.
The most common bolt that gets missed on the type 4 is the bolt that holds the oil pick up in place. That is the case with this case . Someone missed that bolt and had a few good whacks with a hammer most likely, until realizing there was a forgotten soldier.

P/O of this case proceded to install a long threaded helicoil. I feel that this fix will be sufficient for our rebuild . What are your thoughts?

Sean & I look forward to continuing with this build and sharing the process.

Chris
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Inspect the heads to see if they are rebuildable.

- Stay with 94mm cylinders for a heavy vehicle.

-If you want to spend some money get a 76-78mm stroker kit.

-Contact a machinist and ask which if either of the cases is practical to fix. Shocked
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always use new heads with any Type 4...the valve seats love to come loose on old heads. I recommend having the exhaust guides reamed on the new AMC heads. The valves like to get hot and seize to the guides. I have Painter's ream em out before installing.

Do you have the Wilson rebuild book? It has a lot of info on everything Type 4 (they had these things in the 80's Wink ). He says "type 4 cases can be welded, welded, and welded again. which is a good thing". Yes, that boss can be fixed, but I would not risk it. It's one thing to weld it and put it in the shop race car, it's another thing to weld it and put it in a customer's Bus.... That helicoil is funny to say the least.

Do you have any of the original injection parts? I'm guessing maybe not because it had a 1.8L in there?? (2.0L from 75 up) The FI is far superior to any carbs you can put on a type 4 and worth finding a complete setup. FI and stock cam are the only way to roll IMO.

Engine work is all about details and any shortcuts will come back to haunt you.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lower case bolt damage you have shown is known officially as "The Syndrome".

This is caused by someone over-tightening the oil strainer bolt at change time.

It would require some serious welding/machining skill to rectify.
No, a long helicoil is not a sufficient fix...

The best cams/kits come from the type 4 store.
A web 73 or 86 can be an economical choice if you are an a low budget.

Ditto on dished 94s.
96 AA Birals would be a fun, if somewhat short-term experiment.

42 x 36 valves are a good way to gain power, not making the cylinders thinner.

You will need a better exhaust if you are going to up the power, also.
72-74 spec.

Welcome to possibly the hardest aircooled VW environment to work with - Type 4 in a bus.

Best do some homework if you want to keep a good reputation in your area.
This is NOT an easy application to have any long-term success.

Good Reading:

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=a0fc7ac8acde1eac85e0cdda5ab9ab4f

What’s That Noise?!?
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good (and recent) info here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609633

The consensus is the best way to increased displacement on a bus engine is through stroke. Stock 94 bore (dished), 78 crank with type one rods seems to be the most conservative and logical approach. 2165cc.
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Sean's Mild Type 4 2056cc Build Reply with quote

Air Cooleds Only wrote:
For your entertainment.... I bring you the journey of Sean's 77 Riviera Camper. Equipped with an 091 Transaxle & 1.8L Engine.

Sean has owned this gem since April 2014. It was purchased in Boise, Idaho; immediately driven down to Prescott, Arizona. After the 24 hour road trip, the bus decided not to start.... Let the problems begin.

I met Sean right before the Jerome Jamboree. He was having problems finding a starter for his bus. After a couple failed attempts with used starters we found a rebuilt unit that worked just fine. Once running the engine had a prominent flat spot with the infamous weber progressive. I helped him get the jetting a little more dialed in so he and his family could get up the hill to Jerome.

After the Jerome Jamboree, Sean still bitched and moaned that his Bus still had some running issues Razz Hmmmm, I asked the usual questions, have the valves been done , dwell , timing etc. We got to compression and he remembered that one cylinder was lower than the rest. I double checked Compression, 105,105,104,95. Not terrible, but definitely on the low end of the range. To boot their were a number of oil leaks.. O and did I mention the lower engine studs were to short to get a nut on.

So Engine comes out & the questions start flyin... Should we just fix the obvious, should we do just the top end, or how about the whole damn thing???

If you read the Subject line...There's a good chance you know the answer to the previous question.

Before you read on. My knowledge of type 4's is not vast. Especially when it comes to turning up the performance level. I have built quite a few type 1 engines, in many different formats, this will be my first T4. Most likley I will have a few questions along the way , and would enjoy constructive input from our fellow samba members.

We have about $3k for parts to front this engine build, and have decided to try and build a 2056cc 71x96. I'm supplying the crank and rod cores from a 2.0 lying around the shop. Cam- undecided, something great for a camper Smile , AA Biral 96mm P&C's, AMC 1.8 Heads, Dual Decade 40mm Carbs.

So here we currently are. With a torn down 1.8L.

Since the majority of the internals are going to be put aside , all we are concerned about at the present is the case. After a good cleaning, first thing I noticed was one of the lifter bores was scarred up from some junk in the oil most likely.

I have a 914 case that I was willing to give up for the build , unfortunately it has an obvious issue as well.
The most common bolt that gets missed on the type 4 is the bolt that holds the oil pick up in place. That is the case with this case . Someone missed that bolt and had a few good whacks with a hammer most likely, until realizing there was a forgotten soldier. Chris

The best thing for you to do is talk to Jake Raby. Remember he gave all of us some good advise on 96mm in a bus. They don't stay round in the long run. You could rebuild the engine with t1 94mm pistons. As said before talk to Jake Raby, also ask him about using the t1 94mm pistons in your 94mm bus sleeves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air Cooleds Only
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
The lower case bolt damage you have shown is known officially as "The Syndrome".

This is caused by someone over-tightening the oil strainer bolt at change time.

That makes perfect sense .

Clatter wrote:

Ditto on dished 94s.
96 AA Birals would be a fun, if somewhat short-term experiment.

It seems there is not enough road time on these yet , the reviews are mixed.
I feel if a biral cylinder is designed to cool better, then 2mm cyl thickness loss should be compensated by better heat transfer of the biral cyl, no?

Clatter wrote:

42 x 36 valves are a good way to gain power, not making the cylinders thinner.

Good point , however if we keep the valve size stock then stock exhaust should work.

Clatter wrote:

You will need a better exhaust if you are going to up the power, also.
72-74 spec.

I'm curious on the performance differences in these... Anyone know of a good topic posted on this subject?

Clatter wrote:

Welcome to possibly the hardest aircooled VW environment to work with - Type 4 in a bus.

Thanks! Glad to be here.

Chris
Air Cooleds Only
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sean's Mild Type 4 2056cc Build Reply with quote

Bad bug wrote:

The best thing for you to do is talk to Jake Raby. Remember he gave all of us some good advise on 96mm in a bus. They don't stay round in the long run. You could rebuild the engine with t1 94mm pistons. As said before talk to Jake Raby, also ask him about using the t1 94mm pistons in your 94mm bus sleeves.

You're probably correct, except I lost Jakes cell no. Laughing
Jake has noted several times he has not tested the 96 birals .
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought part of the issues with 96's is the flat top piston, resulting in a compression ratio that's too high? Is it possible to machine a dish in the piston deep enough to correct this?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:

The consensus is the best way to increased displacement on a bus engine is through stroke. Stock 94 bore (dished), 78 crank with type one rods seems to be the most conservative and logical approach. 2165cc.

Not to get in a pissing contest, but one guy who puts 5000 miles on a motor is not "consensus".

I do value Torben's opinion on the subject,
however,
Jake has put more development work into the type 4 bus than anyone else on earth, except maybe VW.
And they hold different opinions on the subject, for different reasons.
Could go on about this for a very long time...

Have had a 76 Revmaster crank sitting on a shelf for about 8 years now, but wasn't really sure it would be worth installing, based upon my experience with strokers, busses, and reliability.
(and my labor is free)

To build a camper motor with a stroker crank that will last a long time being used in the AZ desert will require a lot more than $3K in parts.

If our OP's customer has $3K to spend in parts, a quality stock rebuild will eat that pretty easily.

It all depends upon your definition of quality...

What’s That Noise?!?
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
GTV wrote:

Not to get in a pissing contest, but one guy who puts 5000 miles on a motor is not "consensus".

I do value Torben's opinion on the subject,
however,
Jake has put more development work into the type 4 bus than anyone else on earth, except maybe VW.
And they hold different opinions on the subject, for different reasons.
Could go on about this for a very long time...

Have had a 76 Revmaster crank sitting on a shelf for about 8 years now, but wasn't really sure it would be worth installing, based upon my experience with strokers, busses, and reliability.
(and my labor is free)

To build a camper motor with a stroker crank that will last a long time being used in the AZ desert will require a lot more than $3K in parts.

If our OP's customer has $3K to spend in parts, a quality stock rebuild will eat that pretty easily.

It all depends upon your definition of quality...

I'm not sure who you are referring to with the 5,000 mile comment... I stand by my post, the most reliable way to increase displacement on a type 4 in a bus application is through stroke. I would like to see how the 96 birals are holding up in bus applications though, they are only marginally more expensive than the 94 replacements, but it looks like we're a long way from that.

Have you been to Prescott? All of Arizona isn't one big sand dune Rolling Eyes

Building a stock (in displacement only) 2 liter probably is the safe bet, given the budget. C/W the crank, small torquer cam, a bit of headwork and top it off with some 40's? What is the 1776/1915 of the type 4 world?? Easy to build, relatively little extra expense, with good gains in power?

I hate the fact that there is little to no information on type 4's in this forum. They aren't necessarily my bag, I'm just type 4 curious Wink
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.0 type IV is a 1.8 engine the factory put a stroker kit in. The crank journals are smaller so the bigger crank will fit in the case and to the best of my recollection it has b pistons in it. I believe all the cylinders above 94mm are thinner. If more power is wanted from a 2.0 ,I would stroke it 76-78mm and try to keep the side piston load to a minimal by keeping the rod ratio length close to a 2.0. Otherwise your most prudent options are a solid rebuild with the addition of a cam and induction. Tom tuna had a great web site that had a lot of type IV info on it but most of the links are dead.

Here is a great link for a stroker kit in a 914.

http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/page18.html
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
The 2.0 type IV is a 1.8 engine the factory put a stroker kit in. The crank journals are smaller so the bigger crank will fit in the case and to the best of my recollection it has b pistons in it. I believe all the cylinders above 94mm are thinner. If more power is wanted from a 2.0 ,I would stroke it 76-78mm and try to keep the side piston load to a minimal by keeping the rod ratio length close to a 2.0.

Correct me if I'm wrong: Stock 2L rod is 131mm, stroke is 71mm for a rod ratio of about 1.85:1. If you only go to a 76mm stroke, you would need a 5.5" (about 140mm) rod to achieve the same rod ratio, combined that would push the piston up over 11mm in the cylinder Shocked

That's a good build link. It would have been great to know the combo used though.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only I have a torn down 1.7 so I'll just go with what I can remember.

- B pistons put the rings closer together which allows the piston to rock more in the bore.
-A longer stroke crank with the same rod; if the skirts misses the crank at bdc angles the connecting rod more.

B pistons really should not have to be used in a ACVW because the cylinders can be shimmed out away from the case. Most builders state that b pistons are okay but the more you stroke it the more the same length rod is angled. It might be that the offset of the piston wrist pin is not modified and hence causes problems.

I don't think that everything a manufacturer does can not be deviated from at all but placing the rings closer together and increasing the rod angle is most likely the cause of stroker engines suffering from abnormal wear. For a daily driver I would be conservative about it. If I was racing type IV's and had a pile of used heads and cases ,I would be building 3.0 with them.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong: Stock 2L rod is 131mm, stroke is 71mm for a rod ratio of about 1.85:1. If you only go to a 76mm stroke, you would need a 5.5" (about 140mm) rod to achieve the same rod ratio, combined that would push the piston up over 11mm in the cylinder Shocked

I get the same answer. Edit: actually its to high by half the stroke increase because the pistons travel increases at both ends by 1/2 the stroke increase.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going from a 1.85 rod ratio to 1.75 is nothing to worry about.
5.325 rods are often used.

Consider that in a type-1 we use 82 stroke with 137mm rod, in thin flexy cylinders. 1.67 ratio IMO that is pushing it. 1.74 ratio is still very conservative.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found 2 really good webpages on rod length.

This one is based on a 5.0 stroker and is about engine geometry for engine life http://www.strokerengine.com/RodStroke.html

and this one is based on performance.

http://www.stahlheaders.com/lit_rod%20length.htm
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From above website:
Quote:

Connecting Rod Length Influence on Power

by William B. Clemmens

A spark ignition (SI) engine and a steam engine are very similar in principle. Both rely on pressure above the piston to produce rotary power. Pressure above the piston times the area of the bore acts to create a force that acts through the connecting rod to rotate the crankshaft. If the crankshaft is looked at as a simple lever with which to gain mechanical advantage, the greatest advantage would occur when the force was applied at right angles to the crankshaft. If this analogy is carried to the connecting rod crankshaft interface, it would suggest that the most efficient mechanical use of the cylinder pressure would occur when the crank and the connecting rod are at right angles.

Very good writing, but complete baloney!
Then below that is actual good info

Very interesting mix!
Just like the samba
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sean's Mild Type 4 2056cc Build Reply with quote

Air Cooleds Only wrote:
Bad bug wrote:

Correct...Jake has no comment on the Biral 96mm AA pistons, he's NOT tested them.

I myself and a 1/2 dozen others I know with varying mileage have had good luck with them in a bus application so far. I'm currently approaching 14,XXX miles with excellent results thus far. One of the 1/2 dozen I know is approaching 55,XXX miles.

If you go with the birals keep the compression between 7.8 - 8.0 and be sure to open the heads to 42x36mm. Also do NOT use a stock exhaust. Get your hands on a 72-74 heater box setup and use a Thunderbird or S&S header if you can source one.

Do not use the stock cam either...Web or nothing. Also get rid of the stock adjusters and go with Porsche swivel adjusters.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires

Last edited by udidwht on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Air Cooleds Only
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys love talking about rods... Rolling Eyes

So far Sean & I are still set on trying out the 96 Biral's .
Experimenting is always a surprise.
Stroking it sounds like a good time Very Happy
However sticking with the stock 2.0L 71mm crank and rods will help keep the cost down.
This will allow some extra change for Cam, & Valve Train Components, and all the other parts you don't account for right away.

From what I have read the T4 doesn't advantage all that much from a C/W Crank, unless it's a high revving machine . The case's are much stronger than the ole T1 platform.

I would like to get the full crank assy dynamically balanced.

At the present we need to decide which case to run with. Either one we can have fixed. Im leaning towards the 1.8 case, & having the one lifter bore repaired.
Tomorrow we will finish cleaning the case , measure & Inspect.

Thanks for all your input guys!

Chris
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sean's Mild Type 4 2056cc Build Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
Air Cooleds Only wrote:
Bad bug wrote:

Correct...Jake has no comment on the Biral 96mm AA pistons, he's NOT tested them.

I myself and a 1/2 dozen others I know with varying mileage have had good luck with them in a bus application so far. I'm currently approaching 14,XXX miles with excellent results thus far. One of the 1/2 dozen I know is approaching 55,XXX miles.

If you go with the birals keep the compression between 7.8 - 8.0 and be sure to open the heads to 42x36mm. Also do NOT use a stock exhaust. Get your hands on a 72-74 heater box setup and use a Thunderbird or S&S header if you can source one.

Do not use the stock cam either...Web or nothing. Also get rid of the stock adjusters and go with Porsche swivel adjusters.

How were you able to keep the compression down? Open up the chambers? Dish the pistons? Lots of deck?

I have to say, biral 96's do look like the easy solution. After adding up the variables, stroking a type 4 even modestly, looks to be much more of a hassle and a LOT more expense than a type one.

IMO, counterweighting the crank isn't just for high rpm's, it makes for a smoother running engine. I think the $100-$200(?) extra is well worth it. Can anyone with type 4 experience confirm or deny this?

What is stock valve size? And what's so special about the 72-74 exhaust?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: