Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Equivalent VW Automatic Transmissions for Vanagons
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagonzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Equivalent VW Automatic Transmissions for Vanagons Reply with quote

Hey all I have a 1990 Vanagon with a blown 3 speed automatic transmission. I am trying to find a used one at a wrecking yard (not an easy task) to get it back on the road for as cheap as possible. I have heard that some makes and models of Audi and VW have automatic transmissions that will bolt strait up to the Vanagon automatic differential. I only want to swap the guts ie: the automatic transmission portion only, not the diff/transaxel or any other parts of the drive train if possible. Does anyone have a list of the year make & models of VW or Audi autos that have easily swappable automatic transmissions for Vanagons? If I had such a list I could broaden my search at regional junkyards. Also is there any additional checks I should do with my or on the "donor" auto-tranny to make sure it will work? Any information would be super helpful to me and probably to future automatic van owners for generations... Smile
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audi 5000 turbo, great info in link below

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253381&highlight=campground

itzdshtz wrote:
basically all the 5 cyl turbo engines in the 5000/100/200 had the stronger 4 pinion planetary sets in there up to 1991, after that they got the electronic 4 speed automatics which are totally different.

All the non turbo engines came with the 3 pinion planetary transmissions.

The early V8 Audi's were all quattro's and used a different transmission.

Herman

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically any VW/Audi from the late-70s to the early 90s with the 3-speed auto trans. Also any Porsche 924 or 944 auto trans. The Audi turbo and Porsche 944 have the stronger internals.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are fairly simple transmissions, what is yours doing or not doing?

when they say any they mean any automatic from VW/Audi from 1976-1992 is essentially the same. but there are 3 different transmission cases depending on trans cooler or dipstick location.
you very well may have to remove the guts from the good to the bad to exchange them over..

and by case i mean the transmission portion that mates to the differential portion. the 2 of these make up the complete transaxle.

unless you are comfortable with the internals of an automatic transmission there really isn't any cheap or free lunch..

the 5000 turbo link provided above is a very good idea of the work involved.

FWIW the vanagon AT should be able to be rebuilt by any transmission shop who can/will rebuilt a rabbit cabriolet (81-92) automatic. parts/labor should be under $1k but your local and limited shop resources will greatly impact the overall costs.

best of luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw your post on CL, I'm on Oahu right now.

Good luck!

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: