Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NO oil light on with ignition on or engine running
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: NO oil light on with ignition on or engine running Reply with quote

Ok so I'm sure I made a stupid mistake just hoping its not too big.

I was cleaning the engine bay, spraying the underside with rustoleum truck bed liner. When I went to start the engine and drive it off the ramps, I noticed NO red oil light. It was previously working fine and as supposed to. So I'm thinking I must have bumped something loose or disconnected something

Any tips on where to start? I've checked what I knew to check ( have not checked bulb, yet- was thinking light was just working fine- may be something else. Thanks.

Keith
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely the wire onto the oil sender was knocked off. The sender unit is horizontal, and screwed into the engine near the distributor.

Or the sending unit could be bad. If you touch that wire to engine metal with key in "run" position, the warning light should come on; if not, check the bulb.

The sending unit is a "normally closed" switch which opens when pressure is high enough to move the contact away from its spring-held seat.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cusser. I will try that in a few min. This site is always great with timely and informed help.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, hang on, hang on.

The oil light should NOT normally be on. When it comes on that means something is bad. Are you saying it used to be on all of the time and now suddenly it is not?

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: NO oil light on with ignition on or engine running Reply with quote

Keithinky wrote:
When I went to start the engine and drive it off the ramps, I noticed NO red oil light. It was previously working fine and as supposed to. So I'm thinking I must have bumped something loose or disconnected something

I took his post to say that when he went to start the engine, he noticed that the oil warning light was not working. He didn't actually say that he had been driving with the oil light on prior to this.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion. When turning on the ignition I normally get gen light and oil light. When engine is started and a preset psi is reached the oil light extinguishes. Gen light soon to follow.

My prob now is- no oil light on with ignition on. I will follow Cussers advice- it got late so tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Keith
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem was the metal connection (female end) was connected to the male end of the oil sending unit. It appeared normal. I checked it closer and the copper wires from the green wire that inserts in to the female metal spade were broken off and not touching the female spade.

Trimmed some more insulation off wire, stuck in a new female spade, connected to the sending unit. Turn ignition on- red oil light on.

Have no idea how that happened
Samer1275
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you fixed it. By the way, the Muir book say if these lights don't light up in the "run" position then you shouldn't drive until it is fixed. The reason for oil light is simple, no working oil light means you could lose all oil pressure and would not know until something very bad happens.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: