Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Learning slowly - stroker vs big bore
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.

Stroker or big bore or both
stroker
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
big bore
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
why cant we have both?
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 10

Newob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Learning slowly - stroker vs big bore Reply with quote

Ok so i am learning slowly. In my last post I learned that my heads are shot and I should probably just build a motor from the ground up. Remeber, although I could go buy a new engine quite easily, I want the knowledge and the customization of making my own engine. So with that in mind I called a shop and had a long talk with an experienced VW guy and here is what I gathered

I want an as41 case or a bubble top aluminum case rather than my old brittle and corroded 1969 H case. I am ok using used as long as it isn't going to cost me in the long run. The shop guy said he could get me a as41 in good condition for $350 and then spend $160 putting case savers in it. He said he would charge right around $100. Question - what are case savers and why do I need them?
potential case?

Now the thing is, I have seen on youtube guys getting 200hp out of a 2276 IDA engine
I would of course love that kind of horse power.

Can I combine a 94mm bore and a 82mm crank and get close to 2.2 liters?
since I need new heads, should I get dual port heads?

I have seen that people are either strokers or big bore.... but as of yet, I do not understand why not both like 94mm plus 82mm crank?

For those of you that are wondering, this is the 12 second vw bug that has 200hp and has a 2276 ida motor

Link

I am slowly learning and have been doing research.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

por que no los dos? Get a well built 2332.

Biggest thing is, you don't need ttttthat much power. It honestly depends on what tires and transmission you want to run. Are you going for sand or desert or trails?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KrAzY-BaJa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=12
ForYotaWagen: A Ford/Toyota/Volkswagen http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4871576&highlight=#4871576
Newob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for street legal dune buggy currently, but eventually i would take the engine out of the dune buggy and restore an vw bug and put it in it. The wife wants a turquoise vw bug that looks like this

If I own a bug like that, I want it to smoke anything else around - And the extra power while in the dune buggy wouldn't hurt.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to choose one thing man, these aren't trophy trucks.

street machine, sand machine OR offroad racecar

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am writing a tutorial on the subject at this moment. it should be in Performance Engines/Transmissions tomorrow.

Quote:
I have seen that people are either strokers or big bore.... but as of yet, I do not understand why not both like 94mm plus 82mm crank?

it's done all the time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should expand that chart so it includes 66mm stroke with 90, 93, and 96mm pistons. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just build a nice 5/1600 engine. I mean if education is what you're after. You can learn all the tricks that those builders employ as well.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any AS 41 case CAME FROM THE FACTORY with case savers. Your '69 H case may have them also. That is about the time VW started putting them in all engines. they are simply steel thread inserts for the cylinder head studs. MOST ALL VW engine cases which have been rebuilt over the decades since have gotten them installed if they didn't have them already. Check out your case and any you buy before you take it to the machinist to take your money for work not needed.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st off, you are not going to smoke everything around you. My wife's TDI Jetta will put most of the hoped up VWs in the area to shame. However, you will smoke / explode the trans. To get an engine like you describe, but will have any longevity for the street look at about 10G. Then look at the cost of the trans and the CVs as well. Another issue is that a power band that is well suited for a rail, will probably not work so well for a full bodied car. The days of building VWs that will eat a modern car are over, unless you build something that has a very limited lifespan.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
MetricMuscle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been my experience that the right proven combination of bore, stroke, valve size, cam grind, head design/mods etc. are what make a great engine. Some combinations just don't work well.

This is especially true for Harley Davidson engines. Lots of gains can be had with a good combo, partly due to the really terrible design of some OE stuff.

I'm not familiar with VW aircooled stuff yet but frequenting a forum like this and discussing who has used what and the results is a good way to get learned. Also finding a reputable engine builder is a really good idea. They already know what combos work well together and more so what ones don't or don't add much for the price or complication.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newob wrote:
I am looking for street legal dune buggy currently, but eventually i would take the engine out of the dune buggy and restore an vw bug and put it in it. The wife wants a turquoise vw bug that looks like this

If I own a bug like that, I want it to smoke anything else around - And the extra power while in the dune buggy wouldn't hurt.

A 2276 at 200hp (mentioned in first post) in a 1400 lb dune buggy is dangerous.... I run a dune buggy with a mild 2084, which puts out about 120 hp at the wheels and it will light up rear tires in first and second gear almost any time I want, if you build a dune buggy and put big horsepower in it you will be a danger to yourself and anybody else on the road.... Be very careful here....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2276 is 94mm pistons with an 82mm crank.
Stroke + bore is WAY more common than you are assuming it is.

The only reason i can think of about why some choose against going stroker and adding bigger piston & cylinders, would be someone on a tight budget that is trying to cut corners in their engine build.

Using your stock rotating assembly in a 1776 build would save about $ 100-$140.
That is short term savings though.

And then some people just don't desire or need any more power than what a nice 1776 will produce in their vehicle.

You're not looking at the big picture on the engine situation, you're just looking at the big engine which sounds impractical for what you're describing.

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: