Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vanagon aftermarket fuel tank options
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: vanagon aftermarket fuel tank options Reply with quote

I have searched, but I am not satisfied..

I am looking to get a new vanagon fuel tank for my 91 westy. Prices at the regular vendors are different which make me believe that the tanks may also be from a different vendor.

Van-Cafe: $164.00 (pictured in silver)
Gowesty: $239.95 (pictured in silver)
Busdepot: $159.95 (pictured in black)

I have read that they are all from the same manufacture, but with the variance in price this can't be true, or can it?

I have also seen them on ebay for about $100

I commonly see these listed as part number VW3C (spectra?)

Anyone know if they are all the same? One better than the other? Are all the regular vendors selling the same tank?

Thanks.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call each vendor your interested in, ask the following

Where is the tank made?
What company makes and/or imports this tank?
Are there any markings or labels on the tank that may indicate manufacturer?

Once you get answers to these questions from the source, the folks that really know or can find out by simply looking in their own stock room, you will have your answer. I doubt a member here has personal knowledge of what tanks all three vendors currently have for sale. Keep in mind a vendor may sell a different manufacturers part form time to time, all depend on what the distributors have at a given time.

so ask the folks that sell the tanks, and you will be unlikely to get false or outdated information.

a price spread like you quote is normal, even for the same product. I just looked on line for some antifreeze, priced from $12.47 to $18.99 for the same stuff, same brands, same gallon jug, nearly the same price spread you see for the gas tanks.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon aftermarket fuel tank options Reply with quote

physast wrote:
Van-Cafe: $164.00 (pictured in silver)
Gowesty: $239.95 (pictured in silver)
Busdepot: $159.95 (pictured in black)

Rock Auto shows...

1)
  • Color: Silver
  • Manufacturer: Spectra
  • Part number: VW3C (VW part #251201075AH)
  • Included: Lock ring kit
  • Capacity: 16 gallons
  • Dimensions: 32-1/2 "x 28-3/8" x 9-5/8"
  • Price: $136.79
  • In stock: 2 remaining
  • Additional info: Innovative engineering, manufacturing technology and quality control ensure that Spectra Premium fuel tanks meet or exceed the performance of the original equipment they replace.

Unit is designed to OE fit, form and function requirements accomplished by leveraging OE fuel system design expertise
    Lock ring included with each tank to reduce installation time and to ensure a complete repair
    Made with corrosion resistant, OE approved, Ni Terne steel for durability
    Unit is leak tested after production to ensure product in free from fuel and / or evaporative leaks
    Each new fuel tank is road tested to ensure real world performance and to verify that each design meets our high standards for quality
    Engineered to stringent tolerances based on our Canadian engineers' in-depth knowledge of the OE part it's designed to replace
    Fit tested on the very same vehicle application for which it was developed verifying first-hand that the design fits properly and can be easily installed
    Packaged with double-layered foam wrap and heavy-gauge corrugated board to ensure product quality at installation

SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT Warranty Information: Fuel tanks, fuel tank straps, and oil pans - three years.

2)
  • Color: not shown
  • Manufacturer: Platinum Pro
  • Part number: FTK01022
  • Included: Lock ring kit
  • Dimensions: 32-1/2 "x 28-3/8" x 9-5/8"
  • Price: $112.79
  • In stock: 3 remaining
  • Additional info: Platinum Pro Fuel Tanks and Fuel Delivery Parts are a cost effective quality replacement to OE/Aftermarket Parts.

Lock Ring/O-ring Kits included to speed installation time
    All Tanks are painted to inhibit rust and corrosion
    Direct Replacement to OE for proper fit every time
    Every fuel tank is leak tested twice before packaging

PLATINUM PRO Warranty Information: Fuel tanks, fuel tank straps, and oil pans - 3 year warranty.

Spectra is considered the "OE" replacement for most water-cooled-era VW's.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some more info and it seems that the spectra tank is rated highly and most do not have issues with them.

I ended up just ordering from Van-Cafe. They have proven to be a great source of information and very helpful so far in my money pit adventure. It seems they have installed many tanks and they found one that works for them. It looks like a spectra tank from the images, but I will let you know when I get it.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used the van cafe 12mm outlet one in mine. easy install and it doesn't leak a bit anywhere.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is from VanCafe too.

I remember reading some people reporting what it feels like less internal baffles in some of these aftermarket tanks, which makes the fuel slush around more compared to the OEM tank. Haven't noticed that with mine.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
mine is from VanCafe too.

I remember reading some people reporting what it feels like less internal baffles in some of these aftermarket tanks, which makes the fuel slush around more compared to the OEM tank. Haven't noticed that with mine.

I don't feel sloshing but I do notice my fuel gage changing position with the pitch of the vehicle (points to more full when going downhill, less full going uphill). I didn't pay attention to whether I had that behavior before putting in the new tank. I did notice a lack of pre-filter screen in the tank but don't remember paying attention to baffles.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an original tank and the fuel needle is all over the map especially when I get down to a 1/4 tank. I watch it, but always reset my odometer when I fill up. I trust that more.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the stock tanks indeed allow fuel to slosh around inside and throw off the gauge when on a grade.

I had ample opportunity to observe this on our recent month-long roadtrip through the Rockies and Cascades ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank from van-cafe fit like a glove and seemed well made. I painted the top and put bedliner on the bottom for protection.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: