Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crankshaft end play
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rileynewton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Crankshaft end play Reply with quote

I'm rebuilding my 1962 1200 beetle engine and I have around .010 crank shaft end play I have searched all over online for the shims too adjust the end play does anybody know if you can use 1600 shims on my 1200 And if you can't do you know where to get the correct shims
bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are different. 1600 shims don't fit a 40hp, the inside diameter is slightly smaller. I'll take a look to see if I have some extras.
'63 Karmann Cabriolet L54 Poppy Red
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113105289
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rileynewton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get 3 36 mm shims but I still have .009 end play I know the spec is .003 to .006 but will .009 cause a lot of damage to the engine, could I try using 4 smaller shims or would that be bad I really don't want to tear down the engine completely to check the bearings
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know when I did mine last I just made it near the max allowed. That was after hunting down the right shims.I would do it the correct way if I were you. If you go to the classifieds on this site and type in "flywheel shims" you will see a wide selection to inquiry to.I would have done it and left you the link but have never figured how to copy & paste on the cell phone.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through this recently with my '65 1200. Be sure you have the paper or metal gasket on the end of the crank, and be sure sure you have at least 200 ft lbs of torque applied to the flywheel.

I used the endplay measure tool, a brand new set of feeler gauges, 3 .36mm shims (just bought from Wolfsburg West). I really torqued the flywheel, and I also made absolutely sure the rear engine pulley was tight. I levered 2 large screwdrivers behind the flywheel, pulled towards me, set the endplay tool to where it was just touching the flywheel, then I went around to the pulley end of the engine and carefully levered the screwdrivers behind the pulley and pulled that towards me.

After all that, when I checked the endplay, it was exactly .004 inches which is within specs.

Good luck,
Ted
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To check to see if the bearing is moving in the case add enough shims so the flywheel is snug up against the bearing then try moving the crank back and forth... just don't try to rotate the engine.

I've had to use thicker shims while adding a second metal gasket between the flywheel and crank to get between .003 to .006".

A better way to move the crank back and forth to check the end play is to remove the distributor cap and just turn the rotor back and forth.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: