Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilt transmission won't shift (at all) - 1969 VW bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
corbin_dunn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Rebuilt transmission won't shift (at all) - 1969 VW bug Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a 1969 bug and I just got a rebuilt transmission from MOFOCO.

Short: shifter won't work or move at all.

I tried to "manually" shift it by using some vice grips on the shaft under the seat. It rocks/rotates slightly side to side, and seems to be in a gear, but won't come forward or backwards no matter how hard I try. In my old tranny I can fairly easily shift it by hand.

I searched the forums; it sounds like this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573290&start=0

I just don't want to have pull the thing out and check the nosecone unless I have no other options.

How could it have gotten into this situation anyways?

Any ideas on what I can do?

Of course..I'm going to call MOFOCO tomorrow morning...

Thanks!
corbin
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

short answer is take a look down a gun barrel and liken it to your shift rod assembly, there is simply nothing inbetween the nose cone that will cause trouble. the only thing you can do is pull the motor and check the clutch and tranny. if mofoco did the work which I assume they did not because you are just know aware of a problem you would have realized when leaving their shop, let them service it. best advice I can give is chech the shift forks before you install a new one next time and make sure they are fluint in both directions. Good luck
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most rebuilt transmissions don't come with a nose cone installed so I am wondering if you installed the one on your transmission but either way you should have checked to make sure that it shifted through the gears before it was installed... Right now the only thing you can do is pull it and remove the nose cone to see what you have.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rebuilt one from The Wright Gearbox had the same issue.

The "dentent springs" that control/hold the actual shift forks were way to strong. I was told it was because of all the new bushings.

Installed in the car I couldn't shift AT ALL.

Factory manual says the force to pull (at the nose cone) for shifting gears is 35-45 lbs.

Mine was 85lbs

Ended up pulling the transaxle, bolting it to the engine on the floor, and then pulling hard till I could get it in 1st gear. Then let the engine run for 15 minutes between 1000-2000 rpm.

Shut it off, and did the same for the other 3 gears.

loosened up my transmission so I could shift, installed it in the car and it works fine now.

Still a pain in my ass.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you do take the nose cone off, make sure everything is lined up, and the hockey stick is between the shift forks. like in the below photo.

If they sealed it with silicone, clean it off and put a new bead.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt transmission won't shift (at all) - 1969 VW bug Reply with quote

corbin_dunn wrote:
Hi,

I tried to "manually" shift it by using some vice grips on the shaft under the seat. It rocks/rotates slightly side to side, and seems to be in a gear, but won't come forward or backwards no matter how hard I try. In my old tranny I can fairly easily shift it by hand.

I just don't want to have pull the thing out and check the nosecone unless I have no other options.

Thanks!
corbin

Yeah, I am considering sending transmissions without the nosecone and hockeystick installed. All of a sudden, I am having tons of problems and I can't figure it out. I test drive the transmissions in a vehicle and everything is great. We take them out and replace all the hardware with new hardware. Then I have a custom tool that is a T handle that bolts onto the hockeystick. I then manually check to make sure it shifts. I do protect the nosecone in the box when I ship it. I've had 3 people in the last 3 months have this problem where it won't shift. It always ends up that somehow there are two levers pulled out at the same time and it won't allow the hockeystick to rotate between gears.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt transmission won't shift (at all) - 1969 VW bug Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
...It always ends up that somehow there are two levers pulled out at the same time and it won't allow the hockeystick to rotate between gears.

Easy to do if not paying attention close enough. Although it's an easy-to-find problem if you ops check the hockey stick movement after installing the nosecone.. This should not be a problem that is found out after installing the trans in the vehicle.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.

Last edited by scrivyscriv on Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt transmission won't shift (at all) - 1969 VW bug Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
[quote="[email protected] ...It always ends up that somehow there are two levers pulled out at the same time and it won't allow the hockeystick to rotate between gears.

Easy to do if not paying attention close enough. Although it's an easy-to-find problem if you ops check the hockey stick movement after installing the nosecone.. This should not be a problem that is found out after installing the trans in the vehicle.[/quote]

Like I said, I can't figure out why it works here and then it doesn't work once it's installed in the customer's vehicle. We are the only place in the country that actually installs the transmissions in a vehicle and test drives them.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
The "dentent springs" that control/hold the actual shift forks were way to strong.

This is a BS answer. The detent springs VW made don't magically get stronger.

Most rebuilds from California are made from cores that have 10 million miles on them, so everything is worn out. Standard procedure is to install a bronze bushing in the bores for the forward shift rods. If these bushings are not reamed large enough, it can be difficult to slide the shift rod.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Mr.Duncan wrote:
The "dentent springs" that control/hold the actual shift forks were way to strong.

This is a BS answer. The detent springs VW made don't magically get stronger.

Most rebuilds from California are made from cores that have 10 million miles on them, so everything is worn out. Standard procedure is to install a bronze bushing in the bores for the forward shift rods. If these bushings are not reamed large enough, it can be difficult to slide the shift rod.

I'm stating what the transmission re-builder told me.

10 million miles on a core? Really?

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
corbin_dunn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt transmission won't shift (at all) - 1969 VW bug Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
corbin_dunn wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!
corbin

Yeah, I am considering sending transmissions without the nosecone and hockeystick installed. All of a sudden, I am having tons of problems and I can't figure it out. I test drive the transmissions in a vehicle and everything is great. We take them out and replace all the hardware with new hardware. Then I have a custom tool that is a T handle that bolts onto the hockeystick. I then manually check to make sure it shifts. I do protect the nosecone in the box when I ship it. I've had 3 people in the last 3 months have this problem where it won't shift. It always ends up that somehow there are two levers pulled out at the same time and it won't allow the hockeystick to rotate between gears.

Thanks Roy! I didn't get a chance to call you guys today (got busy at work).

It sounds like I don't have much of an option: pull the motor/trans and pop off the nose cone and see what is wrong. I'll probably give this a try this weekend.

Anything else you can think of?

Mr Duncan: Those pictures are super helpful! Thank you -- I will take a look at that too.

-corbin
corbin_dunn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt transmission won't shift (at all) - 1969 VW bug Reply with quote

Okay! I pulled the tranny out and took off the nose cone. I didn't quite see how the "hockey stick" was when I took it off. I verified that each gear shifted, pulled them all inline and put put it back together. Seems to be okay now!

I got it back installed and running; did a quick test up my hill and so far so good.

PS: I'm thinking about selling the car if anyone is interested. ~100 miles per charge. > 100 HP.

corbin

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: