Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone have a MINI Countryman S All4?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Anyone have a MINI Countryman S All4? Reply with quote

Lately I'm kinda diggin' these things! Anyone have one and can comment about: experience/ownership?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

working on one now. if you plan to pay for service, go for it. ignore mini's 15k/12 month (now shortened to 10k/12 month) oil change interval.

the issues with them are 2 fold...1 was sludge and 2 was every car on the planet burns oil...when the mini would get low on oil the hydraulic chain tensioner would collapse and you would skip teeth on the timing gears...or eat a head...or eat an engine

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/motoringfil...z3H1lxpMeG

that's about the oil change.

I would only buy new, and if you plan to work on it yourself, imho you will need a 2-3K scanner. none of the cheapies will come close to helping you diag any issues.

again, buy new. these cars used are poison due to the oil change intervals. the joke around the shop is:

for sale 2012 mini
1 owner
15,000 miles
needs engine
Laughing

that's my insider info for ya.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
working on one now. if you plan to pay for service, go for it. ignore mini's 15k/12 month (now shortened to 10k/12 month) oil change interval.

the issues with them are 2 fold...1 was sludge and 2 was every car on the planet burns oil...when the mini would get low on oil the hydraulic chain tensioner would collapse and you would skip teeth on the timing gears...or eat a head...or eat an engine

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/motoringfil...z3H1lxpMeG

that's about the oil change.

I would only buy new, and if you plan to work on it yourself, imho you will need a 2-3K scanner. none of the cheapies will come close to helping you diag any issues.

again, buy new. these cars used are poison due to the oil change intervals. the joke around the shop is:

for sale 2012 mini
1 owner
15,000 miles
needs engine
Laughing

that's my insider info for ya.

Yikes Shocked !!! So basically you are saying... If you can verify the oil changes were performed at 10K mile intervals (or less) then you are ok buying used... if not... only consider buying new? Thanks for the heads-up! Very Happy
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I am saying is even at 20K, that car should have had about 6 oil changes. not 2.

sludge starts to form at the 10-12K mark from what I have seen. the engine, even though it is 10-12K old looks like a old diesel inside.

all of this extended o/c interval crap is for the stinkfoot greenies/manufactures to make the public think there is no (or little) maintenance hence the car is "cheap to own"

google mini oil issues, mini blown engine etc etc...you will have a stroke when you see how these extended intervals are killing a otherwise decent product

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Between your replies here and via PM, you just blew my mind and probably saved me thousands! Thank you!!!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just mini.....all of the mfg's are doing this "extended" crap....engines are running hotter and hotter to meed epa standards. Its suicide to think you can stroke your car along for 10k between oil changes and not have issues.

I always suggest 3-4k oil changes. Those who listen don't have problems. Those who don't pay my morgage Cool

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do my own oil on my VW's but I go to an oil change place for my commuter. They say if you are just driving highway conditions you can go 7500 miles. I do 3-4K most of the time but sometimes i'm bad and go longer. It's a 1998 Tacoma 4cyl. with 224,000 miles so if it goes the way of the dough dough bird I won't complain. My better half's 2013 Mazda 6 had 7500 mile oil change intervals.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife had one for a loaner for a few days while hers ( standard Cooper) was in for service. I wasn't all that impressed. Not as toss-able due to the extra weight and center of gravity, but my biggest gripe was the lack of vision out the rear window because of the three headrests from the back seat. I mean, really? They couldn't have designed a car to have a) removable headrests or b) ones that folded down so you could actually see? Other than that, the cabin is more user friendly than the older cars, but I still wouldn't buy one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Wife had one for a loaner for a few days while hers ( standard Cooper) was in for service. I wasn't all that impressed. Not as toss-able due to the extra weight and center of gravity, but my biggest gripe was the lack of vision out the rear window because of the three headrests from the back seat. I mean, really? They couldn't have designed a car to have a) removable headrests or b) ones that folded down so you could actually see? Other than that, the cabin is more user friendly than the older cars, but I still wouldn't buy one.

Well... as fate would have it... I saw and stood next to one (2012) for the first time today. I was fairly impressed. Probably about the same size as a Subaru XV I'm guessing. The rear seats actually looked like they had a truly reasonable amount of room for an adult. The bonnet is a bit short (like a coupe). Hope it's safe Shocked! Would love to take it for a spin. The owner said he loves it, especially the 4WD. Says its a ton of fun to drive. Wish I had gotten to sit in it (and drive it! Crying or Very sad ).
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
I do my own oil on my VW's but I go to an oil change place for my commuter. They say if you are just driving highway conditions you can go 7500 miles. I do 3-4K most of the time but sometimes i'm bad and go longer. It's a 1998 Tacoma 4cyl. with 224,000 miles so if it goes the way of the dough dough bird I won't complain. My better half's 2013 Mazda 6 had 7500 mile oil change intervals.
My 01 Tacoma is approaching 300,000. 5k oil changes without fail.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at Consumer's Reports frequency of repair listings.
The Minis are really bad.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:

Do you think that is a result of "typical neglectful owners" (lack of early/regular oil changes mentioned above) or more of a manufacturer's (BMW) design/engineering/build quality issue?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure I will be in another oil pan soon. I will post photo's of what I find.

imho, 4k is max. but hey, do what the manufacturer suggests. you will be in for a rude, expensive surprise when your timing chain stretches, your vvt solenoid goes apeshit because of lack of oil pressure/sludge....

it's a whole new world with modern engines. don't believe the hype, it will cost you....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure I will be in another oil pan soon. I will post photo's of what I find.

imho, 4k is max. but hey, do what the manufacturer suggests. you will be in for a rude, expensive surprise when your timing chain stretches, your vvt solenoid goes apeshit because of lack of oil pressure/sludge....

it's a whole new world with modern engines. don't believe the hype, it will cost you....

Sounds like you are saying "it's not just a Mini/BMW thing" and your experience goes for all modern engines regardless of brand?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Sounds like you are saying "it's not just a Mini/BMW thing" and your experience goes for all modern engines regardless of brand?

talking with other tech's from other brands we have all concluded 90% of the engine issues are due to shitty oil, or oil change intervals being stretched to moon.

so, lets say you DO adhere to the mini (for example) oil change schedule of 15k (now reduced to 10K) and you, like most say "aw shit, need an oil change" but don't have the time.....now you have done another 2k on the oil. what part of 17K on oil without changing a filter sounds like a good idea?

most of the time, the car comes in with NO oil on the stick. as oil get dirty, it gets thin and the car will burn it. you will never see any smoke, cuz the cat. converter burns it up....

and, oil change intervals aside, vw is having huge cam/lifter issues. they claim "bad castings" but they are failing at 50, 60, 70K. if a cam is bad, it will eat itself in a lot less time. the real issue? not enough zinc in the oil.

it's like the 80's all over again....

oil's cheap, engines well, not so much. I would run something with some zinc. a bad cat is less expensive than a bad engine. they stripped zinc out to keep the cat's alive. there is no ez way around some of the emissions crap.

there is also no reason for this day in age where a engine shouldn't be able to go 200K without being opened up. the 4,5,6K oil changes are just a marketing ploy in my opinion to make the consumer think "gee, this car doesn't require any maintenance"

and, not for nothing, most dealerships use super cheap bulk oil anyway. we call it school bus oil Laughing

sad that in todays society people will research a smartphone for more time than they will a car/big purchase. let's face it, you'll toss the phone before the car.

manufactures know most will shop on price/maintenance. it is just more appealing to the consumer if it *seems* the car is 'maintenance free'. it is soooo far from the truth, and I feel so bad for the end user when a catastrophe hits and they 'went by the book'.

I could go on for days about life under the hood, but really, who gives a crap Cool

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
OB Bus wrote:

Do you think that is a result of "typical neglectful owners" (lack of early/regular oil changes mentioned above) or more of a manufacturer's (BMW) design/engineering/build quality issue?

It is a huge survey of every kind of owners. The question asked is: "Have you ever had a problem you think was significant, whether or not it was under warranty." So part of a bad rating on a car could be from lack of maintenance on the part of some owners. Then again when a car has stellar scores on the same survey there could be just as many neglectful owners.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

got sludge?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

look at all the bearing material in the bottom of the cup...

so, I would suggest to anyone with a new(er) car that has a service interval over 4K, to change your oil 'like the old days' with 3-4K intervals.

or, wipe your tears at the service desk with the owners manual.

the car in question had 18K on it. so, basically just about 1 oil change. and, a check engine light for VVT issues. guess who is getting an engine?

"buu buu buut the manual said" bullshit....change your oil. this is coming from a guy who sees good, hardworking people get raped by car manufactures/dealer/salesman on a daily basis because they are getting sold lies about maintenance.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gross man.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What vehicle is that?

Very Happy

got sludge?

look at all the bearing material in the bottom of the cup...

so, I would suggest to anyone with a new(er) car that has a service interval over 4K, to change your oil 'like the old days' with 3-4K intervals.

or, wipe your tears at the service desk with the owners manual.

the car in question had 18K on it. so, basically just about 1 oil change. and, a check engine light for VVT issues. guess who is getting an engine?

"buu buu buut the manual said" bullshit....change your oil. this is coming from a guy who sees good, hardworking people get raped by car manufactures/dealer/salesman on a daily basis because they are getting sold lies about maintenance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil' off the title subject but...

Im a GM tech.. I tell those who want their cars to last.. 3-4k mile oil changes.. just like the old days.. and that goes for Synthetic oils too.
If you drive an E85 vehicle and use E 85.. its even worse.

Those that follow the "GM Oil Life System".. are wearing the oil out at around 4-5k and will drive it to less than 20%..or past 0% Rolling Eyes
Those usually come in with valve train noise some driveabilty concerns and no oil on the stick.
Our GM's really started sucking oil after 2007 thanks to a C.A.F.E standard bump..
Low tension rings, lets deposits and oil past the rings..
I know many manufactures have the exact same issues..
Our sister Honda dealer have ring jobs all the time.. more so than we do just because of more local product..
Stay away from off lease cars... They get the basic's only if needed... and thats it.. .

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: