Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

differences thing to type one suspension , trans, ect
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modelmakerinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: differences thing to type one suspension , trans, ect Reply with quote

Hey guys I want to build a raised type 1 and am looking at buying a thing for parts, is there differences in the thing trans, output shafts, cv-s, rear suspension, trailing arms. that I need to consider.

I know the front beam is interchangeable which will give me my lift but the rear suspension I am not sure of. any help is appreciated. thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
h2operator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This info would be helpful for me also! Seems like a good topic for a " Sticky"!
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear suspension on a Thing will not give you any lift over a Type 1. The trans (gearing and nose cone), CVs (larger) and drums (wider and wide 5 pattern) are different than a Type 1.

Here is a picture of my kid's Baja bug. It has a Thing trans, axles, drums and engine. We used the stock Type 1 arms and boxed them in for strength.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you are looking to raise the rear, I would go with a set of Plates from Atomwerks. Wink

http://atomwerk.org/
modelmakerinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Shoyrtt, Why did you use thing parts? only for the wider drums? or because the larger CVS are stronger and have more deflection?

explain the benefit please?

And if the thing is about 3" higher in front than a beetle, How is the rear raised, is it only the index of the torsion bars, and the travel stops surely must be different orientation to the spring plates?

this is where I don't comprehend the rear of a thing comparitvey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modelmakerinc wrote:
Thank you Shoyrtt, Why did you use thing parts? only for the wider drums? or because the larger CVS are stronger and have more deflection?

explain the benefit please?

And if the thing is about 3" higher in front than a beetle, How is the rear raised, is it only the index of the torsion bars, and the travel stops surely must be different orientation to the spring plates?

this is where I don't comprehend the rear of a thing comparitvey

I used the Thing parts for several reasons. First, I had them on hand after switching to a Type 1 trans and disc brakes on my lowered 74 Thing. We are running 31" tires on the Baja, so the lower gearing is better with the Thing gearbox. The wider drums also give it a wider stance to match the wider front beam making the car more stable. And the Thing CVs are slightly stronger than Type 1s. It also runs the Thing stub axles which might be a tad bit stronger than Type 1s.

I do believe the rear lift on an IFS Thing (remember early 181s ran swing axles and type 2 reduction boxes) were achieved by turning the torsion bars. The bump stops on a Thing are different than on a type 1. On a lowered Thing you either have to notch the spring plates, cut the bump stops or buy a set of Atomwerks plates to lower it. On a type 1, I don't believe the bump stops are such an issue. So in other words (sorry I don't have a picture) I believe the Thing bump stops are different than Type 1s.

Another thing to consider is with a stock height Thing, the front is slightly higher than the rear. Now I realize that we are talking about a 40+ year old car, but my 73 has a totally stock suspension that has never been touched. Father time, weight and age may caused the rear to sag a bit, but the front is clearly higher than the rear.

Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had buggy guys buy Thing rear torsion assy's because they said it would raise the buggies about 2-3 in. more that using beetle units.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
I have had buggy guys buy Thing rear torsion assy's because they said it would raise the buggies about 2-3 in. more that using beetle units.

I didn't know that. Embarassed I wonder what is different?

Modelmakerinc, how much are you buying the "Thing for parts" for? I wondering if you are money ahead by picking up a set of lifted front spindals and raised spring plates over buying a parts car?
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing torsion assembly also has a bar welded across the torsion tube for more strength.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modelmakerinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoyrtt, That is exactly why I am inquiring. I can get a rolling shell for $500. but if the rear suspension is basically the same as the type 1 then I will need the trans from the thing also.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modelmakerinc wrote:
Shoyrtt, That is exactly why I am inquiring. I can get a rolling shell for $500. but if the rear suspension is basically the same as the type 1 then I will need the trans from the thing also.

I'm guessing you could go either way then. The 3" Tweed lifted spindals from Dan's run around $250 ($30 more if you want to run discs) http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/susp/buggysusp%20front.htm and the Atomwerks plates are around $200. Shipping and tax if any and your at $500.

You don't need the trans from the Thing. Run a Type 1 trans, CVs, axles and stubs. I'm guessing on your roller car, the Thing stub axles will be on it. Swap them out for Type 1 stubs. Use the Thing beam and torsions to get your 2-3" lift.

Costs seem to be about the same. The labor time on the Thing swap is probably a little more. But with the Thing swap you get the wide rear drums and wide 5 lug pattern, which is probably better. Again, you can go either way on this. Wink
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing you should be asking is why would you cut up a Thing worth a few thousand when you could cut up a type 1 worth a few hundred.
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: differences thing to type one suspension , trans, ect Reply with quote

modelmakerinc wrote:
Hey guys I want to build a raised type 1 and am looking at buying a thing for parts, is there differences in the thing trans, output shafts, cv-s, rear suspension, trailing arms. that I need to consider.

I know the front beam is interchangeable which will give me my lift but the rear suspension I am not sure of. any help is appreciated. thanks

If you buy a Thing for parts, I would like to buy the body and chssis from you, since you would not be using it.

This is a serious offer.
modelmakerinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a deal, I am in 33470 zip, Ill be fine with $250 for the thing shell, no suspension no body parts, it is just a chassis (pan) and exterior sheetmetal. I will attach it to rolling dolly for you. Laughing

you will have to figure out how to get it shipped.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:
The rear suspension on a Thing will not give you any lift over a Type 1. The trans (gearing and nose cone), CVs (larger) and drums (wider and wide 5 pattern) are different than a Type 1.

Here is a picture of my kid's Baja bug. It has a Thing trans, axles, drums and engine. We used the stock Type 1 arms and boxed them in for strength.

If you are looking to raise the rear, I would go with a set of Plates from Atomwerks. Wink

http://atomwerk.org/

Looks like you need to re-index those rear spring plates to get rid of that negative camber, and gain some ground clearance back.
h2operator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, According to the Tweeds site yesterday , the Thing lifting spindles are discontinued!
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

Looks like you need to re-index those rear spring plates to get rid of that negative camber, and gain some ground clearance back.

The picture is from probably a year ago but it was the only one I could find showing the rear. Torsions were reset and it now sports a set of 2.5 Fox bypass shocks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: