Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Turn signal question Reply with quote

I have a '67 with two year old wiring. If a bulb burns out the dash flasher still works but at triple speed. It's doing that now but all the bulbs work. The right rear turn signal light is much dimmer than the left. I don't know anything about electricity. I do know most VW electrical problems have to do with grounding.

Any suggestions?

TIA

crvc
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check first to see if your bulb is in properly. The next thing I would look at is a bad ground at the light. Unscrew your ground wire and clean it up.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your taillights are still grounded through the housings (stock), then loosen the nuts (8mm I think), scrub the bolt-down areas with a brass brush- then retighten all 4. It will often restore matched brightness in the rears. The fronts can benefit the same way- but are less-so bombarded with road crud when driving.

A bad ground in one bulb makes the turn signal circuit "see" a decrease in resistance- thus the well-grounded bulb flashes double time because the flasher thinks the one good bulb is all alone in the circuit. You may also see a faint glow in the taillight bulbs due to the same phenomenon- the circuit seeks a ground via feedback through the rest of the taillight housing. You may have to pull the rear lenses and perform the same ground maintenance on the two anchor screws at the bottom of the reflectors- but they will come back.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can test each lamp socket for ground resistance by removing the lamp and reinstall it with a small test wire between the lamp base and socket. With the lamp on, measure the voltage between the test wire and the chassis, it should be less than 0.1 Volts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrKeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your bulb is upside down, if one is brighter than just take of the tai light covers and see if they are in properly.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smeared everything with dielectric paste. That didn't do anything. Now the right rear bulb doesn't work while the dash flasher stays on but without blinking. When I get the time I'll add a ground wire from the bulb casing to the underside of the fender.

Thanks for the help,

crvc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: