Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Biggest bloody knuckle PITA to replace on a Vanagon?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Not only a good idea, It would be prudent to load up the grocery bag with everything you could possibly think of to update, or change under there.
The full meal deal.

This operation isn't going to bust up your knuckles, but it'll suck up hours like crazy.

I denote it as an unsavory, I despise it kinda job that is much better done only once if you can get away with that.

Phooey.

TK, I hereby nominate you to create that list, and then I hereby nominate the mods to afterwards make that list a sticky.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh, mention of the 1.9 water pump job brought back a memory....and thanks for that.

I did the 1.9 w.p. in a downtown parking space in Seattle, feeding quarters into the meter as folks wandered around me....
I remember making some uh... modifications, to get through the job quickly, worried the cops would give me a "mechanic in the street" sort of ticket.

That was almost 10 years ago I think.

Hey, we had a similar thread going on with this same theme back then.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236401&highlight=water+pump
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading here on what a bear the water pump replacement for the 1.9, and what am I not getting... To me, on my 1985 it was a pretty straight forward simple job... Yes, couple of cuts on the knuckles, but at the most I remember it was a two hour job..... I believe I replaced three of them.

What I did do is buy a few sockets, bent some re-bar for handles for the hard to reach spots, welded them together and made a special tool. Should have saved those..... but they got towed away with the van.... oh well...

I will agree the spring clamps were a _______ to deal with.

On the other hand, this van didn't have AC or Power steering either... maybe that is what made it simple.

Last edited by nacradriver on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear gloves.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it wasn't a replacement as much as it was an installation. I bought a rear tire carrier from
RMW and everything in the kit was staright forward. Great directions and I have to say I am super
pleased with how everything turned out.
When I was installing it, I had to stick my arm down the rear vent collumn to line up the backing plate
for the carrier. There are several sharp screws inside that tunnel and I caught everyone one of them on
the way down and on the way up! Bleeding for my Westy! lol

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
I think it is all a matter of attitude (whether or not you are currently enjoying yourself) and expectation (whether or not you think it should be easier than it is).

[insanity]If you are currently not enjoying yourself and you think the job is harder than it should be then it is a PITA.[/insanity]

If you are enjoying yourself and see the job as a task that has to be performed that requires a reasonable amount of time and effort then every job is fun.

The often misunderstood fact is that everyone has control over their attitude and their expectations. If it is a PITA, you make it so in your own mind. If it is fun, you make it so in your own mind.

As I mentioned in the opposite thread, one of my favorite tools for adjusting both my attitude and expectations when working on a vehicle is entertainment. I place an audiobook on my ipod and press play. From that point on, the job could take 10 times as long as it 'should' and I don't really care. Often I get done with the audiobook and find it amazing how much my 'other self' accomplished while I was enjoying a good book.

Word!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

The Elder Hannover Gods are pleased with your blood sacrifice, the job is an assured success.

If you bleed, you succeed. Works every time, 80% of the time.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the should be simplest of job, i alway struggle with is getting the fuse box cover off of a late vanagon.
they go back on easy enough, i always need to fight to get them off Sad

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes for the Syncro w/locker starter, especially when replacing a stock starter with a gear reduction starter. I'd rather remove the dashboard and replace everything in there before touching my starter again.
I had to remove the locker, drop the right side engine mounts, remove throttle body, and God knows what else before I could get that new starter in there.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only one if have ever swapped out , didn't seem as much of a PITA as you are describing.

syncromike wrote:
My vote goes for the Syncro w/locker starter, especially when replacing a stock starter with a gear reduction starter. I'd rather remove the dashboard and replace everything in there before touching my starter again.
I had to remove the locker, drop the right side engine mounts, remove throttle body, and God knows what else before I could get that new starter in there.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
Terry Kay wrote:
Not only a good idea, It would be prudent to load up the grocery bag with everything you could possibly think of to update, or change under there.
The full meal deal.

This operation isn't going to bust up your knuckles, but it'll suck up hours like crazy.

I denote it as an unsavory, I despise it kinda job that is much better done only once if you can get away with that.

Phooey.

TK, I hereby nominate you to create that list, and then I hereby nominate the mods to afterwards make that list a sticky.

That thread already exists:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265457&sid=c3ea378640f8d0f361d2ed849d503c3a
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote trying to get the gas tank vent hose hook-ups.. what a pita... somehow all my fingers turn into thumbs when I go to work on the vanagon, but I get it done...
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta go with door number one…water pump (1.9 in my case).
Even with the engine out and on the bench this item takes too much thought. In the driveway it takes hours. The biggest hurdle comes if the t-stat housing has bolts either stuck or seized. These GEMS are made of un-obtainium and so require labor intensive work to restore. Torches, presses, chemicals and hammers OH MY! To top off this joyful procedure is the likelihood of purchasing a weep-hole leaker that will show it’s true self in about a years’ time.
Over all - my experience is that these engines are easier to live with and work on when compared to current vehicles. Consider last year when I spent DAYS removing and replacing the water pump in my wife’s ’03 Intrepid. Even R+R of the water pump on my daughters’ Neon was crazy nuts wickedness.
Cheers,
Jeffery
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
I'd have to say, ( and not because it's a knuckle buster but a big PITA job) anything that's forward of the two front seats.

Need a new wiper motor?
Pull the dash.
Need to work on or replace the wiper trans gear?
Pull the dash.
Need a heater motor?
Pull the dash.
Need a heater core?
Pull the dash.
Need windshield washer hoses?
Pull the dash.
I know there's guys that claim to have done the job in 2 hours flat.
Maybe pull the dash and put it back in without doing anything under it--maybe.

I enjoy working on older vehicle's, and trucks that everything is right out in front of me.
Not a trip into Wonderland to just have the opportunity to be able to get to --lets say, the wiper motor--
Time consuming, and might as well make a weekend out of the job--do everything all at once, get done with it all --

Big Pain--

I think the lesson here is if you pull the dash for anything then go ahead and replace everything that can malfunction. As for the designers of the Vanagon, I thing the head engineer was an Irishman named Murphy. I know everytime there are repairs to be made on the KrauteKan, Murphy seems to show up to help. I also think he helped to write the Bentley.
87 Syncro GL
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
one of the should be simplest of job, i alway struggle with is getting the fuse box cover off of a late vanagon.
they go back on easy enough, i always need to fight to get them off Sad

Good to hear I'm not the only one that struggles with this, I can never remember the proper way to remove this cover. Not really a PITA, just a bit frustrating.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x3

I just spent $25 to replace mine - now I'm afraid to open it... Rolling Eyes Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know but i had a helluva time getting uca bolt out yeterday.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: