Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fitting a heater in a Buggy ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and regarding the turbo cooling, my engine came from Outfront motors without the turbo plumbed into the cooling at all. I've since plumbed it in very similar to the routing Jeff used. No problems so far, but any coolant at all has to be better than none.
Manxter #39 on a 1971 Pan
Turbo-charged Subaru EJ25D (DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3923620/1971-volkswagen-beetle#

-Adam
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

73Speed,
Being a factory turbo, my motor already had all the built-in connections for turbo cooling and oiling. The factory diagram shows the turbo cooling routing, which I copied using the same block outlets for turbo water/oil feeds. I did Tee into the turbo to reservoir line with the throttle body warm-up line, which also serves as an air bleed off the top of the water manifold, back into the reservoir at the highest point in the system, and eliminated the factory IAC valve and it's coolant plumbing (substituting another IAC valve to work with my M-Squirt). I've maintained plenty of constant flow past the thermostat, which I understand is the biggest tripping point in plumbing these engines (not getting enough "full flow" past the thermostat).
Jeff
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snagged a couple pics of my set-up. For reference, the return line from engine to radiator is on the passenger side; radiator back to thermostat/water pump is on the driver side - both down near the floor pan. As mentioned previously, I'm running a separate line from the heater back to the engine. You can see the crossover tube slightly forward and above the heater running to the drivers side and exiting out the fenderwell. That line makes a 90 in the fenderwell, then down and along side the main radiator to engine line.

I was trying to keep the heater lines out of the fender wells as much as possible, but not a whole lot of room in a buggy for these choices!

I tried different locations for the heater unit, needing to clear the wipers, hood, foot area (especially driver foot-box with pedals). Slightly biased to the passenger side and up near the front bulkhead seemed to work the best for my car. The top of the blower has about an inch of hood clearance. The electrical/fuse panel will be situated above the steering column on the drivers side, and somewhere in there I've got to fit the brake/clutch fluid reservoirs too. Front hood will be opening for access to all this stuff.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just below the heater I located the water control valve. I would have prefered to keep it out of the passenger compartment, but the only other location was in the side pod - right next to the battery and limited space. That didn't seem too workable. I'll be fitting an angled passenger foot-rest covering up this area, removable for access and maintenance. There will also be a bulkhead panel just forward of the water valve separating the front of the car from the interior. It was tricky coming up with a mount for this valve, V/A doesn't provide any guidance for this - but managed to google another installation and worked my bracket up from his design. Valve is just hanging semi-loose in the pic - it'll be squared up for final install!

Here's how I'm feeding the heater off the radiator return line. This was a mock-up, I think I'm going to run an angled section off the main return (like a Y fitting), then turning vertical like what's shown for the hose connection. A molded 90 hose will carry the water into the cockpit through a panel enclosing the side of the chassis there.

Battery died on the camera at this point but I think these get the general ideas across.
Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: