Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CSP Linkage for Webers/Dellortos Quality- To Shed Water
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: CSP Linkage for Webers/Dellortos Quality- To Shed Water Reply with quote

Hello, I am looking into running the CSP Throttle Linkage for a couple reasons vs. both the Berg Throttle Linkage or the Hex Bar Linkage simply do to its lower that Carb Set-Up..

Now you may ask why, reason, water......

The reason for the thread is that I am located in a state were as there car will be seeing rain plus be stored outside in the rain so since gravity is our friend on this one, the water can not "Seep" up the throttle arms into the carb shafts or drip/drain into the base plates as with the Hex Bar...

I am still looking at the Gene Berg Linkage, but from the way it looks, you have the linkage rods that connect to the throttle carb linkage arms then can do the same as the Hex Bar...

So, what do yall think on this, CSP the way to go, just like how the Kadron Linkage is, lower than the carb in stock set-up were as water does not drain up, but just drips off.

Oh, just to cover it, the plan is to run 914 Carb Rain Hats, I have ran one on my Street Rail with great success so plan to on my Super with the new engine, check the photos below, to see my angles that I have thought up and see work thus far...

But, if there are options out there that work in Rainy areas on Bugs that work, like to see them..

Thanks for ya'll help.... RB

http://www.csp-shop.com/products/20031

http://shop.914rubber.com/Rain-Hats-for-carbs-914RH.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by RailBoy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSP linkage is, good, pressed in ball joints tended to have some play in arms over time, but they are now tig welded. Linkage base is now CNC machined and a return spring is proposed as an optional item.

nice product

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider the manifolds too. Tall manifolds like big beef don't jive perfectly with center push/pull linkage because of the upward angles.

I run CSP center on my 2275 baja engine, and Berg fan mount on my 2275 street car.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, do you get much Rain were you are, how does the Berg Linkage work out with it?

Yea, just trying to prep a build here, have a new engine that is going in soon and like to do it properly. Have Kads on a 1600 right now and it works with the Rain Shields I made though they are not pretty, did not put a lot of time into them... RB
RHough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading about the tuning hassles on hex bar linkages I went with CSP. Good fit and once set the part throttle carb sync has never crept out of adjustment.

The only issue is if you have a left carb. The kit to move the return spring to the rear of the carb to make a 'left' carb from a right carb interferes with fitting the CSP throttle arm. 10 minutes with a grinder or file and everything is happy.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Berg linkage is grossly over complicated. Berg made lots of top quality products but his linkage wasn't one of them. The CB hex bar linkage is junk. It wears out in a couple years and has to be replaced. The SCAT linkage works OK for a street engine and is good for a low budget build, but the universal kit needs some tweeking and fiddeling to work correctly. In my opinion the CSP linkage is by far the best. I now have it on my 2276 and will convert the rest when needed.

I think the engine looks so much cleaner with center pull linkage.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Center Pull Linkage as well on my Kad/1600 DP and have have had no issues.. Though my engine looks messy in the below shot, the Center Pull Works well with no Adjustments since I put it on and Synked the Carbs from when I popped the engine into the car. This is the Scat Version below...

Note my P.O.S. Rain Deflectors I fabbed up in 10 mins for when the car sits, they do the job for keep direct water from getting into the engine when it sits, and just like a race car, keep the engine running in the rain it runs..... Just have to blimp the throttle some at stops to keep the idle up is what I have learned with the Kad/1600, hope I have no issues with the next engine, a 2180. The Rain Hats that I found and are in the photo above I plan to custom cut to fit the engine bay were needed for the Dual Dells..........RB

bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JKM linkage from Germany is even better quality over the CSP, but costs more $.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about rain haha but I love the CSP linkage

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty Clean, like that.. I am either going to purchase the Rain Hats that are for a 914 and cut them down or make some out of Lexan. The melting point on the Lexan is I think 300 Degrees, so it is no issue and I have not have an issue with what I B.S.ed together for what I have running now....

But yea, I will put more "Love" and "Attention" into detail on my next engine, won't be in such a rush dressing it out... Which hopefully will take car of any Rain issues.... RB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: