Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What would you charge?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love doing all types of fabrication and VW stuff in general. For me the labor rate is based on how much is worth putting my projects, family time, home projects, OT from work, etc aside? If you have an abundance of time then a lower rate might be right.

Also with regards to speed, I've worked in the telecom industry since '91 so working simultaneously with many circuits and colors, dressing, terminating, etc I'm pretty damn fast at.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched one of my buddies that works with alarm systems and he has a pretty neat set up with all the spooled wire and such. Plan plan plan plan the layout, pull wires together, bundle etc..

He'll be helping me wire my next buggy if I don't go with a Rebel Harness.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think to really appreciate a nice store bought harness, one has to wire a buggy from scratch.

One last word on the time it takes me to wire a buggy.

When I find a product that works, fits, looks nice, I stick with it. I look for quality, finish and fit in the items I use on my buggy's I build. Once I found TJ Kustoms Sombrero, I have stuck with it. A particular brand and style of head light lamps. A particular brand and style of license plate lights/frame. A particular brand and style of bed liner. Buffing solutions, paint products, master cylinders, peddle cluster years, shifters, shift rod adjusters, swing axle boots, and even down to a specific brand and style of bolts. This brings consistency in my building techniques, time to do tasks and the same style of final fit, performance and appearance of my projects.

So, in the last 2 years, I have wired 4 buggy's. I use exactly the same style of parts, same runs on loom placement, same type of end terminations, same fasteners to hold items, same bolt sizes, near exact placement of parts, same style of switches. When I start the wiring, it is just like following a cook book recipe. I have quickly gotten versed in what I want to do and it makes it quick and simple. So, my time to repeat the task is fairly consistent.

One task I am perfecting is what I use for windshield wipers. Working on a pattern of something simple, something that actually works well and parts that are consistent in quality/fit and easy to get. And do the job of cleaning the buggy windscreen.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:

One task I am perfecting is what I use for windshield wipers. Working on a pattern of something simple, something that actually works well and parts that are consistent in quality/fit and easy to get. And do the job of cleaning the buggy windscreen.

I think these will work well for you Joe:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/anc-4102/overview/

They are adjustable (length) so you can cover the whole windshield in a swipe. They will work with either threaded or non threaded posts. You can change the angle of the blade to "park" at an angle to your liking. They have an eccentric base so you can adjust how long or short the wiper arc. (within limits) The springs are strong enough to put proper pressure on blade to clear windshield even in OBX downpours and wind. But my favorite part is that they are stainless steel and have not rusted here at the beach in over a year of use.

I have used them on my last 2 builds and could not be happier with them.

The only modification that might be needed is to grind a flat area on the post for the set screw to rest on.

Oh and to answer Jeff's original question. I have seen pictures of your wiring (Jeff) and know that it is top notch!! Do not undersell yourself. Not many go to the time and detail to make the job neat (able to follow just by looking at it) and safe (relays, shrink tubing and well secured) If anyone sold a buggy you wired he would be able to ask for more and be able to stick to that number in no small part due to your wiring. And remember just because you can do it in a reasonable amount of time does not mean that everyone can. Your experience is worth a good bit too, not even factoring in your time. I have said something very similar to Joe as well.

Vince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vince!

I actually have those adjustable arms saved on my Summit Racing wish list page. But, I am going for a all VW approach and cross using parts. So far it is looking very promising.

One I get it figured out completely, I will post up for people to use, modify, re-engineer and so forth.

I too have seen Jeff's wiring, and it is top shelf quality.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe

I am very interested in what you come up with. I have used VW Rabbit arms that I drilled out the pop rivet and adjusted for height. They did get the coverage but did not put the pressure on the glass that the Summit ones do. (my experience only)

Vince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince/Joe,

Thanks for the very kind words.

I used everyone's advise when I gave the gentleman a quote for the wiring. He is supposedly bringing the buggy over this weekend for me to look at. I don't think he has a full grasp as t what is involved.

I asked him what he was looking for and he said "make it so it runs and charges". OK...whats that...4 wires maybe? Of course I responded and asked him if he was also looking for blinkers, brake lights, headlights, tail lights wipers, gauges, horn, etc etc.....you know all those silly things needed to get it registered.

His response was to have me "look at it" so who knows what will happen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: