Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

OK, starting to look at paint.

I'm going two tone (sea blue and blue/white roof), but it's the transition I'm interested in here.

The cars were originally painted one colour, and then had the roof colour added over the top so there was a distinct ridge between the colours from the factory.

How have people done the two-tones today? A smooth transition or as per original? In line with the rest of the car, I'm leaning towards the ridge as per original, but I'm interested in other peoples thoughts/comments who have done a two-tone car.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Trial fit of fuel tank and spare tyre to check hood closure. All OK, apparently many Ghias can't fit a tyre here.

Paint shop opens on 11 Jan so will be getting sample colours then.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Nice! Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Angus, have you looked at Chris's (kiwighia68) Ghia? He's documented it very well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578994

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

jpjohns wrote:
Angus, have you looked at Chris's (kiwighia68) Ghia? He's documented it very well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578994

I've certainly looked at Chris' thread, almost managed to arrange a catch-up when I was going to NZ for work, but the trip has been delayed unfortunately. My thread will never match his literary prose!

Final bit of welding on the car! when the headlight buckets were fitted up, as can be seen in the photos below the concentricity was not great. Ended up with flat sections exposed around the edge of the headlight.

Looking in the gallery, it seems it's a common thing, I'm probably being overly fussy on it. But Barry will be re-working the metal around the headlights to improve that before welding out the buckets.

Another thing I noted was that the fit of the OG chrome rings was better than the repro Danish rings, so I'll be re-chroming the originals. This is with Euro headlight style as fitted to the Aussie cars.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:
...Final bit of welding on the car! when the headlight buckets were fitted up, as can be seen in the photos below the concentricity was not great. Ended up with flat sections exposed around the edge of the headlight...

The more I look at your build and others and remember how I walked the same road, the more I'm reminded of Tolstoy's statement that not all families are unhappy, but that every unhappy family is unhappy in its own unique way.

That certainly goes for our cars. Each has its own "unhappiness". Mine was bad but not around the headlights. And, of course, it had that hidden damage to the right side door hinge pillar assembly, which required a considerable detour on the road to complete the metalwork.

As to the "ridge" where the roof paint meets the body paint, the painter guy didn't like the idea when he painted my Ghia. So the transition is seam-less.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that when the car is all together I'd be the only one who actually noticed that bit around the headlights. But now I have it'll drive me nuts, so I'm getting it fixed.

In this case it wasn't even a uniform error, it was on the outside edge of one and inside edge of another. No-one else will care, but I'll Know! Smile
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Can I suggest that your panel beater test fits the ring with the rubber seal. I found that one side wouldn't go on as nicely once the seal thickened things. Timing is right to do it now before paint and I just wish I had thought of it when it was my time.

Just a small dab of contact cement every 30 degrees around the ring will keep it position during test fist and will clean off later.

This image is how my euro headlight fitted out on the side that got the new surround and bucket. The hook at the top of the bucket is has a 5mm gap to the headlight surround which is where the seal is squished the tightest

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Thanks Nicholas
We did talk around that, but I'll let him know you found it made a real difference, I'll be giving him a call tomorrow.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Been a bit of a gap since last update.

Here are some photos of the motor going together. Riechert manifolds, linkage and air cleaners, 28PCI carbs, 010 distributor, vintage speed exhaust. A few bits of tinware appear to have gone AWOL, need to dig through some boxes!

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Nice save of this Ghia! You got lucky to have found that body guy. He does good work.

I'm looking forward to seeing this beauty painted.

Cheers

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

That engine's a beauty! Cool
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf wrote:
That engine's a beauty! Cool

Thanks! I like the look of it. I'm getting the 6V genny re-wound to 12V by an old-school auto-electrician. It means I can keep the original backing plate which is a different stamping to the later 12V ones. 12V Bosch regulator is on its way courtesy of thesamba classifieds.

I've also got some offset Mann oil bath air-cleaners, which ones I use depends on the decklid springs. Either way it will be that period look which is what I'm after.
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Engine looks sweet Angus, Where did you get the carby kit from. Is it period? or did you make it up, where did you source the carby's and linkage from? Do you plan doing any internal work, cam, porting etc.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Rich62ghia wrote:
Engine looks sweet Angus, Where did you get the carby kit from. Is it period? or did you make it up, where did you source the carby's and linkage from? Do you plan doing any internal work, cam, porting etc.

Hi Rich

Kit design is by Riechert Tuning, http://www.riechertmotorentechnik.de/

I bought the manifolds about 5 years ago in a box of bits and pieces from a guy here in Oz. Never heard of Riechert before, but he made period speed parts back in the day. Still does, but he's pretty old now.

They either used Solex 28PCIs or Solex 32, depending on size of motor. These were intended for 1200 motors, or 1385 with the big bore kits.

I rebuilt this engine as a stock 1200 years ago, and don't really want the cost of a another rebuild on top of all the Resto costs of the car. I'm just going to drive it as is and maybe build a blueprint motor down the track.

The 28PCIs and 010 dizzy I bought restored by a guy in the USA who's name escapes me right now, but is well known for this sort of work. I was going to make a linkage but randomly thought I'd see if Riechert Tuning was still around - turns out they are. Called them and spoke with Berndt Riechert himself, a very helpful man. Bought the correct linkage and air cleaners from him, with a lot of help from a sambanista in Germany, Udo D. Berndt must be pretty old, and the whole thing about posting to Australia was too much, so Udo helped me out.

Happy to help out with more info if you want to do something similar.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Final metal work on the car! A little reshaping was needed around the headlight to sit properly. First photo you can see a bulge at about the 8:30 mark.

With a little heat shrinking, bulge gone.

And the same on the other side.

Front end done!

Paint is not far away!
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Looking good Smile
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Body in primer.

VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Well, isn't that just prime(red)! XD
Looking good! Cool
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Hi Angus, that is a great milestone. Did the panel beater lead wipe around the welds before primer or is he going to use plastic filler after primer?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 18

Jump to: