Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sears Rascal???
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
manxvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Sears Rascal??? Reply with quote

I am new to this forum, although i have been lurking for a few years. I have purchased what I believe to be a Sears Rascal body with an unknown roof and side pods. I have a few questions i thought you all may be able to help me with. First is that there is a cardboard tube glassed in under one side of the body but not the other, it does not appear to have been cut out. Should i try to put one back in? Also the body seem to be slightly twisted in the rear, the right rear corner is quite a bit lower than the left when sitting on the chassis, any suggestions on how to remedy this? Thanks for your help.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I hope i did this correctly...newby.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it could possibly be a Rascal. A photo of the rear and of the dash would help.

Also, put a transaxle in the chassis to ensure it clears the package trey in the rear. Almost every Rascal I have seen, the body hits the bellhousing top. A small body lift cures it.

Welcome to the Samba! And, nice first buggy project.

(I like your Stingray too. Must be a Fiberglass thing.)

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba manxvw! To all my east coast buggy friends manxvw is a long time "west" (best) coast friend that has relocated to the "other" coast. So now we will have to help him get ready for "Manx over the Falls" and "MOTB"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my first buggy, but my first ground up build. Just moved to South Jersey from California and didn't think I would use an off road buggy here. Also need a project for that thing called winter that i am unfamiliar with. Here are photos my first buggy, the dash and back area. Have you ever seen that style roof? Thanks for your help.

manxvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks manxvair, i'm going to need all the help i can get to be ready for the falls.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure does look like a late Sears Rascal. Nice body that looks to be in decent condition.

Cannot comment on the roof, do not know much about them.

That white stuff we get in a few months sure does seem to last forever out here.

Nice former buggy!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dash from my Rascal with the "radio leg" on the right.

Looks like you have the "late tail box" variety.

What Joe mentioned about clearance is important to check. Two other places that the bodies have clearance issues are the rear lower corners and the front shock towers. I believe Joe found that a 1.5" minimum lift solved these clearance problems.

I also found on my body that the L shaped lips used to attach body to pan were "pigeon toed" from years of warping while not attached to the pan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: