Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb issues...:(
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Carb issues...:( Reply with quote

1965 6v Beetle 1200 engine... with a 28Pict1 Carb

Starts right up and maintains a fast idle until it (choke)warms up and then dies. if I hold the choke plate closed manually, it runs smoother. But, as I let go of it, it sputters to a death.

Ive recently did a clean out of the carb ( not a full on rebuild ) and replaced the Acc. pump diaphragm along with the gaskets.

i've follow the adjustment procedures ( 1.5 turns out from bottoming out as a starting point ) but no success. In fact, I couldn't get the little guy to sit on a idle of any sorts before i adjusted the side screw.

The timing is set as well as the valves. new plugs, wires, points,condenser...

any help or guidance would be appreciated.

1968 Type 1 Beetle 1641 m/t conversion with IRS
1965 Type 1 Beetle 1200 Bahama Blue
2008 GTI
2006 Ducati Sport Classic 1000
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:arrow:Behind the auto choke is a "Idle Jet". Turn back 1/4 of a turn from seating and the engine should idle. Helps to blow some compressed air inside

There is a number on there...G145,G155,G165. You can go up one size if you wish.

What I did for my customers was install a G165 and if that did not work then would put a copper washer on and tighten. The copper will keep it from bottoming out and then you need to adjust the mixture screw leaner.

VW mechanic
Bogey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@HRVW thanks for the reply. it seems that may be the cause. I did crack the idle jet after mentioned it and was able to hold an idle after warm up. The car did sit for about 6-8 months so it may have just gotten filthy with varnish, gremlins, etc. I have it soaking in carb dip cleaner in the meantime to see it it helps. if not, I will try another jet and or jet size.

2008 GTI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Not always a need to soak the Carb considering we have Carb cleaner in a spray can (plastic nozzle) Compressed air does a lot. Every home should have one in the garage for many households needs besides for a car.

If you still have the idle problem with the Jet closed and unable to get a higher number use a copper washer under the jet to keep it from bottoming out and re adjust the mixture screw leaner...will work as like the TV Suit guys "I Guarantee It".

I did that washer deal on many carbs and still have about 100 of the washers in a jar from my business days (they came in gskt sets))

EDIT: See your in SD as I'm in Rosarito and will cross in a few days....can drop off a couple washers or a Idle jet in the PO for you FREE.
PM me if I can help you out.

Had a cat that was named Bogey after (Humphry Bogard actor)
Bogey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only soaked the idle jet for about an hour and blew it out. I don't have any washers so I burred the threads a bit so it would not fall out after turning it it out a fraction and it runs and tunes in. I think I can find another jet locally and perhaps a washer.. thank you though, very kind of you to offer Smile

2008 GTI
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised If you backed off the Idle jet 1/4 of a turn and the engine idles then I was correct in my diagnoses. I have done many repairs in the past.

I have extra Idle jets (New/used) and a bunch of the copper washers......

gosh......only would cost me a postage stamp to send a couple of the washers.

In the past have sold some items on trust and NEVER got paid.

(VW mechanic/engine builder/parts house owner of 28 yrs)
Bogey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm sent

2008 GTI
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogey wrote:
The car did sit for about 6-8 months so it may have just gotten filthy with varnish, gremlins, etc. I have it soaking in carb dip cleaner in the meantime to see it it helps. if not, I will try another jet and or jet size.

I've had cars that sat for a couple months and the idle jet plugged up.
I sprayed it out with carb cleaner and everything was good again.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bogey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that may have been the issue after all the poking around and take-a-parts i did Brick wall

2008 GTI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: