Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Thing required for TV show
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Attaboytv2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: VW Thing required for TV show Reply with quote

Hello all

I work for a TV company that make a very well known show for the Discovery network/Velocity

We will be featuring a VW Thing on an upcoming episode, and are looking for a nice, original example in excellent condition to film with, for the opening scenes of the show

Ideally, we would love to hear from any owners in the southern California area. Other than being original, and in excellent condition, our only other request is that the colour is not white, orange or yellow- any any original colour would be fine.

We would cover any gas costs, and lunch with our crew. It might make a nice addition to your car's history file

I'd be happy to answer any questions here, or please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Many thanks for reading, and hope to hear from you soon

Best regards
James
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,that leaves out any 73's. It also brings to my mind an interesting question. "If the car is not the original color, is it still considered original?"
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize the "original" colors were white, yellow, orange and green. It sounds like you only are looking for a green 74.
Attaboytv2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks for your replies so far
I think we would be happy with any color that is "period correct"
It's in order to try and avoid clashes with the car we are featuring within the episode (which is yellow), other cars with similar colors on preceding episodes (Orange) - and cars that present difficulties filming (white)
Definitely open to suggestions- but ideally no camouflage or zebra stripes!
Best wishes
James
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunch, gas, and bragging rights?

One normally receives a rental fee from any unique vehicle used for TV/Film, depending upon how unique it is, how long it is needed, and how much the producer really wants it.

With only a few thousand made, and you saying you want "original", but no white, yellow, or orange, and preferably in southern California, you've brought your universe down to 1 or 2 cars, at best. I hope whoever takes you up on your offer realizes this and extracts a very hefty fee from you beyond lunch, gas, and bragging rights.

And for those of you who might not recognize the pseudo-nom of the original poster, Attaboy Productions is the production company for Wheeler Dealers.
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case no one else recognizes the pseudo-nom of the original poster, Attaboy Productions is the production company for Wheeler Dealers.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, they are doing a network TV show but they are "unable" to pay for the use of the car. I wonder how many other suppliers are willing to give time, or supplies like that?
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Producers are always trying to get everything for free. "You (or your car) will be in a major production!"

The film and TV business have some of the sharpest pencil accountants available. There are movies that have made humongo amounts of money at the box office and still show no profit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding is in LA I believe and his white Thing is about as clean as they come. I think he is in the " Industry" and knows the offer for Craft Services aka a breakfast burrito and a couple gallons of gas is ridiculous though.
I guess in business you don't get what you deserve you get what you negotiate.

The transportation coordinator from ABC's Hawaii five 0 contacted me last month and agreed to tow my car to set and back from my home and additionally pay 500.00. Per day to use it. I reluctantly agreed. They ended up filming on big island and used a car there.

Years ago I did one of these freebees on a low budget film for Lunch and bragging rights with my convertible 64 Galaxie. I ended up with 4 girls with 5" heels all over my upholstery and glitter all over my carpet. Bragging rights my a$$ It was the equivalent of watching a friend have fun with your girl while you watch. No thanks, Im getting paid for it next time.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call "JA" at 310-465-6375. Car in Redondo Beach.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:

Seriously, you're posting your phone number on a public forum?

It would of been smarter to send a PM since they are private.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Shoyrtt wrote:

Seriously, you're posting your phone number on a public forum?

It would of been smarter to send a PM since they are private.

Seriously if the number was private, "JA" would have not listed his number publicly. Why interject as a moderator here when no rules were violated, only that you believe that something could have been done "smarter"?

On top of it all, now that you quoted my post, the number is posted twice, so that even if I decided to edit it, your quote remains. Rolling Eyes
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because i'm a moderator, doesn't mean I can't speak my mind. I never said you violated any rules.

It was a suggestion.... hinda like "don't put your hand on the stove, it could be hot".

Actually there is a rule:
Quote:
DON'T post people's full addresses or phone numbers without their permission

So i'll ASSume you have permission... do you?

If you want it removed... PM me and i'll edit it out of all posts.

BTW... when you send a PM, the OP gets a email informing them there is one. If you just post, you're assuming they'll check back and see it. Many just go to the latest post and miss ones in the middle.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming this is for the show "Wheeler Dealers"? Great show. I'd love to help you but my car is orange. And in Northern California.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously!!! you guys are being ridiculous. A guy post saying he would like a couple of cars for a TV show. Why you gotta bash him over prices, food etc. If your not interested ignore the post. Maybe someone on here would lend it for the fun and possibly seeing their car on TV. If mine wasn't so modified per his request he could have it to use for free. I could care less.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess if at a show a magazine guy asked if he could feature your car you would asked him how much you were getting paid?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will be using our Thing for the photo shoot at Big Bear Lake in November. Just got off the phone with James. I could not understand all the bashing and never will. We are retired and like to have fun and this will be fun. You cannot buy fun in my book. We enjoy our Thing and enjoy taking it out to the shows and just driving it around and hearing what all the people have to say about it and the memories that it brings back and I'm sure the day of the photo shoot will stick with us for a long time.
Enjoy Life Guys it is to Short.
Bill
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germanbilly wrote:
They will be using our Thing for the photo shoot at Big Bear Lake in November. Just got off the phone with James. I could not understand all the bashing and never will. We are retired and like to have fun and this will be fun. You cannot buy fun in my book. We enjoy our Thing and enjoy taking it out to the shows and just driving it around and hearing what all the people have to say about it and the memories that it brings back and I'm sure the day of the photo shoot will stick with us for a long time.
Enjoy Life Guys it is to Short.
Bill

Bravo. That's the spirit.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfarii wrote:
Captain Spalding is in LA I believe and his white Thing is about as clean as they come. I think he is in the " Industry" and knows the offer for Craft Services aka a breakfast burrito and a couple gallons of gas is ridiculous though.

Thanks for those kind words. Yes, I'm in L.A.. My Thing is white, so it doesn't fit the bill. But even if it did . . .

I can see how one might enjoy having their car be part of a project, and enjoy seeing it on TV, in print, or whatever. Having worked in the film industry since 1983, I have a bit of experience with this topic. Many film crews, especially overworked ones, can develop a culture of carelessness with locations, props, and picture cars. Even in circumstances where such a culture does not exist, folks with the best of intentions can make mistakes and cause damage. Trust me when I say that the main priority of the crew will be completing their day's work — not making sure your car is returned in pristine condition.

"Um, we're catching the reflection of a light/flag/stand in the side of that car. Hit it with some dulling spray. Don't worry, it washes off." Not. Here's another good one: "We want to strap a camera to the hood to shoot the occupants. The rig won't leave any marks."

My advice to anyone willing to let their car be used by a production crew is to never take their eyes off it, and to have as part of their agreement that they have veto power with regards to what can be done with and to their car.

Make sure you have a copy of the production company's certificate of insurance, and that damage to your car is covered even if the use of the car is a donation rather than rental. If the company so much as bats an eye at giving you a copy, I advise you to pass.

Good luck.
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saddlesore1 wrote:
Seriously!!! You guys are being ridiculous. A guy post saying he would like a couple of cars for a TV show. Why you gotta bash him over prices, food etc. If your not interested ignore the post. Maybe someone on here would lend it for the fun and possibly seeing their car on TV. If mine wasn't so modified per his request he could have it to use for free. I could care less.

Sorry if I came off wrong. Its an open forum used to share opinions. I believe using a rare 20K car for food and braging rights is taking advantage of the owner and thought I would share the fee a network was easily willing to pay for the same request. Not trying to bash the guy, more just trying to help the friends in Thingdom

Keep in mind you could take a day off work ( assuming you work) drive to location, could be hours away. Spend the day in the sun waiting around till they get to your shoot, and it could all easily end up on the cutting room floor. And thats assuming there was no damage to your vehicle, I have seen damage numerous times first hand. All for free??? who is being ridiculous?

Captains advise was even more helpful and parallels my experience. You can almost guarantee they are spraying part of your car for glare at the very least. Oh and all of that cleaning you did the night before what if they want it to look driven? Well, there is a highly paid person for that too and the mud will start flying. In fact the only person not getting paid on that set will probably be the guy in the Thing.
I have worked on many sets as well and know the cars are sometimes not treated as good as I would like mine to be treated. I never said don't do it. I just gave a cautionary tale of one of my not so great experiences.

I do care about mine and want to be paid for it.

Ron Domeck
Quote:
So I guess if at a show a magazine guy asked if he could feature your car you would asked him how much you were getting paid?

Magazines don't pay money. I have been in a few and had to buy the copies of most haha. If I didn't know that from experience you bet I would ask if there was compensation. Why leave money on the table if they did? And if they did pay money I would want someone to let me know that and want what they were giving to last guy. Wouldnt You?

GermanBilly
Quote:
They will be using our Thing for the photo shoot at Big Bear Lake in November.
You cannot buy fun in my book.

But I buy fun all of the time Laughing
Truely glad you are stoked!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: