Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Conversion and Rebuild of a 1984 Blue Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
conrad1468
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing job!! I just went thru the whole thread.

It gives me motivation to work on my 84 Westy. Smile

Sorry about the trans.
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FreshAirVWCarClub/info
thesamba link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363031
Official website
http://www.freshaircarclub.com/
Look us up on Facebook, too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conrad1468 wrote:

Sorry about the trans.

Thanks! Don't let my setback put you off. I should have factored in a trans rebuild since it is the right way to restore a 31 year old vehicle. The silver lining (sort of) is that I'll be regearing with upgraded ring and pinion gears that are better suited to the Subaru engine. I wouldn't have done this otherwise.

Stay tuned!

Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=610481&highlight=
BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conrad1468 wrote:

Sorry about the trans.

I just checked out your cruise to volksfest video! Man do I miss my '65 beetle.

Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=610481&highlight=
BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the van temporarily out of commission I though I'd get to the wiring. The Subaru conversion needs some mods to the wiring to make things look right.

I noticed right away that the battery light was staying on and I checked the circuit and the alternator was charging so I was stumped until kalispell365 told me that for Westfalias the blue alt wire goes to the battery check circuit and also to the fridge relay. The draw is too much and the light stays on.

The fix is to remove the blue wire to the fridge from the circuit and plug it in somewhere else where there is power on ignition.

The wire coming from the alternator is not on the fuse panel so it's a little hard to locate, but it's one of the only ones under the dash that is blue. It helps to trace from the pair of wires running behind the accelerator pedal. This blue wire gets clipped as close to the connector containing the alt wire as possible then like magic the batter light goes out when the vehicle starts.

Here are the wires going to the fridge circuit. You can get to these by pulling up the carpet behind the gas pedal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The mess of wire at the fuse panel.

This is the connector and the wire to clip. Put a female connector on the loose wire and plug it into a spare spade on the fuse block.

BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking the transmission out the second time is about half the fun. It's tougher to do with the engine in so I made up a support to be able to bring it done on my floor jack.

Ready for pickup.
I should have it back in a week or two.
I have the 3.27 ring and pinion gears coming from RMW so I can get it all done at the same time. Should be sweet.

BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the van immobile for a while I started on the underside recoating. I'm using 2 coats POR-15 gloss black with rust prep and doing my best to remove all rust and undercoat first. It's a tough and dirty job and I ended up at the optometrist to have bits of metal removed from my eyes. I'm so glad to have this part done. I'm going to finish with spray-on rubberized undercoat for extra protection. What could possibly go wrong with that?

Before:

Stripped, prepped and ready for undercoat:

Two coats of POR-15:

BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished undercoating the floorboards today. I'm glad to have that behind me. The best part was reinstalling the transmission cooler and the propane tank. Things are starting to come together.

Transmission cooler before:

After:

Propane tank before:

After:

BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the transmission back from the shop on Thursday. It got fully rebuilt and now has the Peloquin's differential and 3.27 ring/pinion which is supposed to be a better match for the Subaru engine.

They did a nice job on the outside too:

It's much harder to install the transmission with the engine. Much harder. Anyway it's in now and feels tight and new and engages exactly the way you would want.

Last edited by BlueNorthWesty on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the van for a while, checked for leaks, checked levels again and made sure the cooling system was doing it's thing.

The only thing left to do was take it on a road test. I did a short one to the car wash and then took my daughter out of town for the first highway trip. It went super smooth. We went toward the mountains and then headed north to Cochrane. There is a big hill on the way back to Calgary and I wanted to see how it would perform. I was able to do 100 up the hill with the pedal to the floor. It's not as powerful as I expected but still fast enough. I'm glad I went with the bigger Subaru motor!

We stopped along the way at an old farm and of course I got a few shots of the van. I need to get going on the body next.

Link

Last edited by BlueNorthWesty on Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic progress, you must be chuffed to bits.
My suby 2.5 in a westy would allow for good power up large hills in 4th, but down-shifting to 3rd wasn't out of the question in order to give it a bit more oomph.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what octane are you running? I have found 89 to be the best. I use NGK V-power gap 0.044
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That exhaust is way too loud for me - I wouldn't make it into Vancouver with that thing thumping away.

A hundred miles an hour uphill? With your daughter in the van?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

Van is in Canada. Think metric system.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build up!

Where did you send in the transmission? My automatic won't shift UP from 1st. The Vanagon runs perfect but won't get past 35Km/hr Smile
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POR 15 is a great product if used properly. You may be fine with what you did to the undercarriage but don't be surprised if the coating fails because you used it over existing paint-not a bare metal. From the web page... "CAN I APPLY POR-15 OVER OTHER PAINTS?
Yes, but you will lose the important benefits of POR-15. You must remember that ordinary paints are weakened by exposure to moisture. POR-15 can't stop rust if it isn't in direct contact with the base metal."

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
Nice build up!

Where did you send in the transmission? My automatic won't shift UP from 1st. The Vanagon runs perfect but won't get past 35Km/hr Smile

It went to National Transmission on 14th Street in Calgary. There's a guy named Brock who knows what he's doing. Two speciality VW shops I use here recommended him.

Where are you located?

BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
That exhaust is way too loud for me - I wouldn't make it into Vancouver with that thing thumping away.

The motor does growl when under load but cruising on the highway the road noise and air passing over the van are much louder. I can't compare since I never drove it before the resto, but the gearing probably helps by keeping the revs way down.

Jake de Villiers wrote:

What are you saying?? She's not that heavy. Shocked

Anyway those are kms not miles. All I'm saying is there was nothing left on the pedal and there are steeper hills, (although not too many).

BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
POR 15 is a great product if used properly. You may be fine with what you did to the undercarriage but don't be surprised if the coating fails because you used it over existing paint-not a bare metal. From the web page... "CAN I APPLY POR-15 OVER OTHER PAINTS?
Yes, but you will lose the important benefits of POR-15. You must remember that ordinary paints are weakened by exposure to moisture. POR-15 can't stop rust if it isn't in direct contact with the base metal."

I agree with you. The paint wasn't totally stripped but anything that remained was tough as hell and will go on protecting the metal under two coats of POR-15 and rubberized undercoat. The bits of rust you see on the upper right in this photo will be dealt with as I move to the next section of the undercarriage.

BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
fantastic progress, you must be chuffed to bits.
My suby 2.5 in a westy would allow for good power up large hills in 4th, but down-shifting to 3rd wasn't out of the question in order to give it a bit more oomph.

Yeah, I'm seriously chuffed. I had a smile on my face all day (and it wasn't just grimacing from all the pain I was in from putting the transmission in the day before)

I hope it all holds together for a very long time Rolling Eyes

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbrown wrote:

Van is in Canada.

Me, too. If it was going 100 MPH with the pedal on the floor and the young daughter in the van, there's something wrong with the driver.

If it won't go more than 60 MPH with the pedal on the floor, there's there's something wrong with the engine installation...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: