Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie - WBX Engine Rebuild - how far do i take it?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
callmeclive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Newbie - WBX Engine Rebuild - how far do i take it? Reply with quote

Hey all, I've been trolling for months now.

I recently bought a beater $1300 vanagon tin-top with a camper conversion. It's running on three cylinders.

I've just picked up a 1.9 engine, although the seller doesn't know the state. I'd love to ultimately just stick it in my van and drive, but I know that's not wise.

I realize I need to do some diagnostics and maybe some rebuilding, but I don't want to over do it, or overbuild it. The plan is to stick this one in while I rebuild (properly) the original one in the van.

I have limited tools - in possession of the normals - torque wrenches, some pullers, etc. I don't have anything fancy.

Time and money are precious - and my van is a turd, no matter how much it's polished. Where do you recommend I start with this new (to me) engine? I have no idea.

I see you're all a smart bunch - help?
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Time and money are precious - and my van is a turd,

time? money? if you don't have either... why did you buy it?

sorry.. are you expecting miracle with a turd vanagon?

Very Happy
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleveland. Take it all the way to Cleveland.
These vans REQUIRE time, money and passion. This is the Golden Triangle of Van Ownership.
Re-evaluate yourself, and decide if you make a wise purchase.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree

Theses vehicles require extra care and knowledge for happy ownership

Bail now or do it right

They can become a deep money pit / headache

Think it over, do you really want to do this
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read into what is being relayed here.

You can't make a cupcake out of a cat turd.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa!!

Back up Cowboy!

Running on three cylinders is not a sure sign of death!

WHY is it running on just three! It could be an easy fix, bad plug, bad wire, cracked distributor cap, bad injector, collapsed lifter............

Diagnose your engine before declaring it Dead and doing a transplant.

And yes, Vanagons historically require sums of money to keep on the road in good condition. Often massive sums of money to set a ratty one back straight.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if time is precious and one of those things you want to spend it on is working on your van, then go for it.

you may enjoy this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513083 - which i found while rebuilding my engine, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589769&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

i don't see anything unwise about sticking an engine in your van and driving it. they don't run well without them. check your old engine's compression and adjust the valves before you remove it.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bently manuel, fuel lines, compression test/ leak down, tuneup? , in that order
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On topic.....

How far to take it?
Pull the heads
Pull the lifers MARK THEM ON POSITION intake #1, exhaust #1 etc, I use baggies, clean cheap, write on with a sharpie.....

Pull the cylinders, MARK THEM TOO! Scratch or center punch ID

Pull the pistons and rods. ALSO MARKED!

Stop, examine rod bearing, all silver and smooth? Stop here, cranks is probably just fine, rods tend to go first.
brass colored or gnarly? Crack the case. New oil pump, crank polish or grind.

New rod bearings, new rings, lap/grind/replace valves or guides or heads as needed.

Gasket set
New hoses, fuel and coolant
Reassemble and go!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite the question, better yet, better answer's than usual--

If your asking this sort of question, I'd get the Van to somebody who could evaluate the current engines condition prior to you making any moves on your own.

Then if it's a wash out--have someone start at the top , and work to the bottom of the extra engine you have.
No point in half assing a reman only to find you screwed up by short cutting the job after all the work is said & done & it fails to run properly.

If your as short on Dracma's as your telling the crew here-- take off the rose colored glasses & bail on what you have got yourself into, and go find yourself a Chevy Van.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just go over everything and make sure everything is working first of all and valves are adjusted, injectors are firing and such... don't let em scare you lol just learn to live with less money to spend, cause you will spend it like a drunken sailor at times just to keep it going....
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
callmeclive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haters.

Thanks for the suggestions, not so much for those judging my character.

Not that I should have to justify my purchase, but I'm aware these things are labours of love. All I'm saying is that this tinner will never be worth 10k+. I didn't buy it to shine it, and I don't have 2k under my pillow to throw at it whenever.
I bought it to chuck a canoe on top, camp under sappy trees, and drive on salty winter roads to nordic resorts. Use and abuse.

I've diagnosed the dead cylinder. It's not a plug or wire, or distributor, or fuel injection.
I have gas in my oil, and oil being burnt. Zero compression.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine time
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

callmeclive wrote:
Haters.

Thanks for the suggestions, not so much for those judging my character.

Not that I should have to justify my purchase, but I'm aware these things are labours of love. All I'm saying is that this tinner will never be worth 10k+. I didn't buy it to shine it, and I don't have 2k under my pillow to throw at it whenever.
I bought it to chuck a canoe on top, camp under sappy trees, and drive on salty winter roads to nordic resorts. Use and abuse.

I've diagnosed the dead cylinder. It's not a plug or wire, or distributor, or fuel injection.
I have gas in my oil, and oil being burnt. Zero compression.

Slap a set of rings in it, drive it!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
callmeclive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's that easy. The guy I bought it from (not a brightest star in the sky) described a major knocking on his drive across the country. A mechanic told him to take it off the road immediately. He said it knocked around the entire drive, but since has stopped. He couldn't tell me anything else, but I'm expecting all sorts of Easter treats inside.

Obviously, I want to get that other engine in asap, after checking it out. Hence, this thread for your (already good) advice.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie - WBX Engine Rebuild - how far do i take it? Reply with quote

From what I've read, the 1.9 is reputed as having a very strong bottom end. If the 2.1 is coming out anyways, I'd put the 1.9 in and see what happens. If the 1.9 has any issues above the case halves then deal with it as needed. AFAIK, heads can be R&R'd with engine in place but doing it that way may be more trouble than it's worth. A "wash" if you will. I'm pretty sure you can mix and match parts to run a 1.9 with Digifant.

It would be mostly your time up until the point you pull the trigger on parts. At $1300 you should be able to get back most of that in parts. i.e. if the transaxle had checked out, IMO, that could be $500 right there.

Neil.

callmeclive wrote:

I've just picked up a 1.9 engine, although the seller doesn't know the state. I'd love to ultimately just stick it in my van and drive, but I know that's not wise.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the easiest and shortest route... may be not the cheapest depending on the price

look for a good used engine from someone who did a conversion... and do it as swap... no head scratching on what part to go where, tolerance etc...

btw.. be careful when you call us "haters"... we are NOT haters... and you never know when you need us... be cool...
callmeclive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie - WBX Engine Rebuild - how far do i take it? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
From what I've read, the 1.9 is reputed as having a very strong bottom end. If the 2.1 is coming out anyways, I'd put the 1.9 in and see what happens. If the 1.9 has any issues above the case halves then deal with it as needed.

Thanks Neil,

It's a 1.9 coming out too. Not 2.1.

My plan is to compression test the new one while on the stand. If psi is good, I'll throw it in. Are there any specific diagnostics I can/should do to the heads (without removing them) before installing? I'll pull the valve covers and check the lifters rockers Springs etc.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be a bitch to find out that after you had the engine installed that the head seals leak?

Not sure how you'd find that out on the bench--without tearing the heads off prior to installation, and taking a look at the seal & the area's it's sealing.

There isn't a magic wand waving that you could do to verify this.
callmeclive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Pull the heads, look around, and hope there's no worms in the can...

There's going to be worms. I'll take some pictures and chronicle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: