Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater ignition coil -anyone use after market?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Heater ignition coil -anyone use after market? Reply with quote

My heater coil isn't working I did the tests on it and it the resistance is too high on it . and it does not spark even when I ground terminal 1. So has any one used the aftermarket version? The price is a little steep but I need to have the heater working the part number is UF-381. Rockauto has them.
http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,154,partnum,UF381,d,STANDARD_MOTOR_PRODUCTS_UF381.html
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They actually have them? Nice to know!
I have a bucket of them. I will check them when I get home tomorrow. If you need one pm me. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, i put it in and it fired right up. now to gt it to burn off all the cud that may be in it from none use and the rust preventative wax the got sprayed everywhere under the car...just when i finally got the heat exchangers to not smell so bad.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you are at this....the best safest mod to do is get a 3/16" brass pressure union, polish one end slightly larger on the ferrule and hole in the nut so it fits on the heater fuel inlet. Then get about 8' of 3/16 steel line and make a steel fuel line running all the way back through the fuel line loops in the body.....and connect to the pump with about 3" of rubber line and two clamps.

Back in the days of good fuel line the heater fuel line had to be replaced religiously every other, year in heavy usage because the heat rots it out, quick at the heater fuel connection.

I dont trust modern rubber line at all. I went to a steel line about mid 1990s and never had 5o replace it again.
the ferrule and nut stays on the beater inlet permanently. Just add some teclon tape to the nut threads anyyime you have it loose. Much safer. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the wires for my gas heater. (PO cut all the wiring and bypassed the fuel line). Also, had the combustion motor out and points are opening and closing properly. Verified clean contact surfaces on points with Ohm meter.

Issue: Heater fans, fuel pump and glow plug all working. Smell gas coming into combustion chamber. However, the spark portion of glow plug isn't sparking. I also took a spare spark plug (one for a car engine, not heater) and hooked that up. No spark there either. Any suggestions?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of interconnects here.
It could be the coil.
It could be one of the small yellow and clear inductors....those things that look like capacitors inside of each set of points.....
.it could be timing out (it has a,safety switch/timer that stops ignition if it takes too long to start combustion.....but it should stop fuel pump as well)

Is the fuel pump,clicking.....but you are not getting combustion?

The gas smell is caused......as long as you have no internal rust throughs of any kind.....which are exceedingly rare...... by leakage of the o-rings at the combustion blower joint and possibly minor damage to the fiberglass mantle just inside of the combustion blower inlet. This allows the fuel which is not igniting....to run back down, leak past the o-ringed area and get sucked into outer chamber which has the heated air in it.

I know it sounds like a lot of work.....but the best way i have found to make sure the joint between blower and heat exchanger is correct....is to disconnect all of the wires snd fuel line, disconnect the exhaust pipe.....and remove the four 10mm nuts holding the unit in. Pull the unit out.....and reconnect the blower properly with new o-rings (actually i use high temp silicone).......this is also important because the blower unit has an exact clock position it must be installed in....and there is a registration notch that must be precisely engaged or it will leak fuel into the air exchange chamber.

Also....if its not combusting.....the only parts that should still be running within a minute or so.....is the combustion blower and the air circulation blower inside of the engine compartment. The fuel puml and spark/glow plug should cease if there is no combustion.

This feature is checked and acted on by the combustion chamber probe installed to the left of the combustion blower when you arr looking right at the combustion blower from the left side of the car.

If a couple of minutes go by.....and the pump is still clicking and there is no combustion happening....then something is either wrong with the probe or wires are not connected....or not connected properly.

When you turn on the unit it starts a timing circuit inside of the dash switch that allows an initial run of the fuel pump and glow plug . A certain short interval of run time is given by the switch in the dash.

If the initial run interval expires and the resulting combustion heat not yet closed the thermo switch inside of the combustion probe......glow plug AND fuel pump should cease to function. This is a safty function.

Typically if the heater has not run for quite a while....there will be no fuel in the fuel line and it takes a while to fill it back up with the metering pump. So.....its common that the system times out before fuel reaches the chamber. If this happens.....turn it all the way off.....and reatart it. Its kind of like blipping the fuel pump on the fuel injection.

Once fuel reaches the combustion chamber....and if the glow/spark plug is working.....combustion starts right away and temperature rises quickly and connection is made at the combustion chamber probe.

You have more than one issue going on right now.
1. It sounds like either you have a bad coil or a bad spark plug.....or incorrect or bad connections to either. In that case .....fuel will reach the combustion chamber.....but upon no ignition.....will quickly shut down both fuel pump and coil operation and the blower will contjnue to run for a timed period to clear fuel from the combustion chamber.

2. You have the classic o-ring leak at the combustion blower to heater chamber joint...2hich is allowing fuel vapor into the heated air exchanger.

Also.....make note. It sometimes takes a while as i noted....for the line to fill up and combustion to begin. Everything may,be workkng correctly. .....and you are leaking fuel at the blower joint.
Make a note to observe whether the fuel pump is still clicking and the fan running....and no combustion is happening. If that is the case.....you have a wiring or temp probe projlem and its VERY dangerous. Turn it off now!

WARNING!

While you are working this out....keep a fire extinguisher around.....and for Gods sake....make sure you have new fuel lines.....and a small hose clamp has been installed at the top end inlet near the glow plug. If not....fuel commonly leaks here as the hose gets hot and expands....and has burned many cars to the ground this way.

This may be what the whole problem is....and its,very common. If the fuel line is,leaking at the inlet elbow near the glow plug......its only getting a small portion of the fuel into the chamber. Combustion will start....but put out only very low heat.

Meanwhile....fuel is running all over the heater top and dripping down.....and when it gets hot enough....your car will go up in smoke.

Also....make sure the coil wires are hooked up properly. There are + and minus markings on it. Also the brown ground wire for the glow plug goes the center. Make sure its hooked up properly. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Its not timing out, as it will do that after about 10 minutes and I recognize that condition..

2) Fuel pump is clicking with no combustion.

3) To clafify, the reason I smell gas is because I took out glow plug, disconnected it and put my nose in glow plug hole when heater was running. It is getting gas up there.

4) Would a car spark plug work to check coil operation? (Ground spark plug, turn off fuel pump, start up heater and check for spark)?? If not any suggestions for a coil function test?

5) Vice-versa, if I hooked glow plug up to one of the engine dizzy wires, would I be able to verify if it's spark operation? Note: Glow plug portion works.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
1) Its not timing out, as it will do that after about 10 minutes and I recognize that condition..

2) Fuel pump is clicking with no combustion.

3) To clafify, the reason I smell gas is because I took out glow plug, disconnected it and put my nose in glow plug hole when heater was running. It is getting gas up there.

4) Would a car spark plug work to check coil operation? (Ground spark plug, turn off fuel pump, start up heater and check for spark)?? If not any suggestions for a coil function test?

5) Vice-versa, if I hooked glow plug up to one of the engine dizzy wires, would I be able to verify if it's spark operation? Note: Glow plug portion works.

OK...so you know the glow portion operates right?....it has resistance checked with a volt meter or you have gotten it to glow by hooking power to it?

Something is not correct. Yes...looking back it can take a while for time out to happen...but it should not be ten minutes. About 5 minutes max. I'll have to check. It may vary from switch model to switch model.

The reason I say this....is that time out happens because you have no heating/combustion. So if the pump is still clicking....meaning you are feeding it fuel.....it should time out pretty quickly if there is no combustion happening for any reason....like bad coil...bad spark points, bad or disconnected wire to coil etc.

You need to check the temp probe and trace the connections from it...and make sure that under the rubber boot on the probe...no wires have gotten loose or are touching each other...which happens...and can make a connection that allows the fuel pump to run even if there is no combustion.

Also check the connections to the temp probe down in the heater channel. Make sure they are connected correctly.

As for whether a spark plug could be used to test the coil with....yes.

Also again...make sure the wires to the glow plug are correctly installed. If memory serves...the yellow and white wire goes to the center and is the power for the glow plug....and I think the brown goes to the edge of the plug for positive. With a volt meter check to see that the brown ground wire is actually going to ground.

Dont quote me on the order until I check my book. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, yes the wires to glow plug are on correctly. If they get reversed, the red fuse under the seat will constantly blow. (learned this the hard way). I had the glow plug unscrewed and noticed it does indeed glow bright orange.

Connections to heat probe under car check out. If they are unplugged, fuel pump will not click. I did the resistance check and that is Ok.

We were both sorta right with the cut-off. Mine shuts off after 7 minutes of not firing. Exhaust pipe smells like fuel.

I hope its not the coil, lol. It looks like a bear to get to. I think I can get the combustion motor out again if need be without removing the rear suspension.

Will try spark plug test today. Thanks so much
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting power to the coil. (around 11 volts) Still no ignition. Any idea as to next step or how to test coil?

Thanks, -Ron
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to dig through my notes. You need to make sure the points and inductor in the fan unit are working and the fan plug is providing power through that connection. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking into this, Ray. I'm almost positive that the points are functioning correctly as I tested them (on both sides of combustion motor) and they opened and closed.

So, if I have power to the coil. (enough to run a car air compressor) I'm thinking that either coil is faulty or the glow-spark plug is.

reluctantartist: Do you recall what resistance test you performed to determine coil was bad? Thanks
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Thanks for looking into this, Ray. I'm almost positive that the points are functioning correctly as I tested them (on both sides of combustion motor) and they opened and closed.

So, if I have power to the coil. (enough to run a car air compressor) I'm thinking that either coil is faulty or the glow-spark plug is.

reluctantartist: Do you recall what resistance test you performed to determine coil was bad? Thanks

The issue could also be the inductor. That little gold colored capacitor looking thing inside of the trigger point area.

Long ago I had one fail...and it produced this result. I figured it was a capacitor just like the condensor in the engine ignition...but had an electronics guy...and this was like 1980...tell me from the markings that it was an inductor and was an odd metric value. I used one from another fan unit and it worked.

I will have to look at one and figure out how to test it. Ray
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Heater ignition coil -anyone use after market? Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
My heater coil isn't working I did the tests on it and it the resistance is too high on it . and it does not spark even when I ground terminal 1. So has any one used the aftermarket version? The price is a little steep but I need to have the heater working the part number is UF-381. Rockauto has them.
http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,154,partnum,UF381,d,STANDARD_MOTOR_PRODUCTS_UF381.html

So that's what those things are. i have a few NOS ones.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: