Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

locked out of my 67
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eriebugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: locked out of my 67 Reply with quote

Locked my bug last night, now won't unlock. Lock cyl turns and there is slight movement of knob inside but that's it. Passenger side lock hasn't worked since I bought the car. PO removed vent windows & installed 1 pc windows so I can't try to get anything in through there. Any suggestions how to get in?
MY first attempt to post so I hope I'm doing this right.
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some degreaser lubricant in the lock spray a bunch inside it especially if you have the long nozzle type for it sometimes that loosens it right up on my 67.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put both palms against the solid part of the drivers door just above the handle and give it a firm push. If it doesn't work the first time try again. Just don't push on the trim piece. I had the same issue until I discovered the secret.

I've got a Brazilian seal on the drivers door. If I do not close it firm enough the latch will not allow the lock cylinder to fully turn.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran

Last edited by shortride on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problems on 2 67's I own..
It happened when temps dropped below 50.
It is gummy grease in the latch and lock mechanism.

I agree with 6Kabrio7 a good penetrating lube works to free things up.

In reality the lock needs to come out and be cleaned.
Also...tweaking the "U" lock channel (part seen through hole when the handle is removed) so the "foot" of the worn cylinder will make more positive contact.

As for getting in now.. try warming the door in the latch area with a hair dryer or hot lamp... or wait until the sun hits it..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In various degrees of desperation...

Can you pop the front hood, or is it open now? You might get to the inside passenger handle after removing the glove box.

Are your rear quarter window seals bad anyway? Cut one out, get in, and then replace the seals with new ones.

Is your windshield pitted from highway driving anyway, and you were planning on replacing it soon anyway? Mr. Hammer to the rescue.

Do you hate one-piece windows? Hammer. Viola! The install original wing window hardware.
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many already know, there is a pin on the inside of a 67 door handle is subject to breakage as it is made from a soft pot metal. Once it brakes, it is very difficult to unlock a 67 door. Try turning the key as if to un-lock the door. While holding the key in that "up" position, without depressing the round button lift slightly on the round key cylinder. This trick might put some compression on the striker mechanism and lift the door lock pull from the inside, thus unlocking the door.

Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eriebugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips. Tried them all. I was close to getting out the hammer when my son got lucky. While turning the key part way he felt a spot and pushed the knob at the same time & it popped open. Yea!!! Have to admit, he is a better mechanic than me. Now that the door is open, I have removed the outside door handle but don't see anything wrong there. Tried spraying lots of lube on the latch assembly but no improvement there either. Guess I'll take the door apart and try to remove the latch assembly. Where exactly is this pin that breaks? I don't see any sign of anything broken so far.
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!! I would look at the "U" shaped channel that the door handle shifts when turning the key cylinder. If it is bent, it could be not moving far enough to release the lock knob. With the door handle removed, you can slide it up and down locking the unlocking the door. If it is spongy, or sticky, clean it and re-lube it. it should be parallel to the opening if it is bent or looks lopsided, adjust it and test, just test it with the other side unlocked!! Very Happy

The pin that brakes is on the door handle. With the handle removed, depress the button and see if a pin pushes out the rear side through the housing. It has a spring on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if pin is broken you can replace it using a binders post. is o-ring missing on button? it helps align the round button to housing.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: