Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A little bouncy...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
krs.br79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: A little bouncy... Reply with quote

So, I just finished putting together the front end on my '63, and things seem a little bouncy. Not to the point of causing kidney pains, but they remind me of my first lowered Honda Civic back in the late 90's.

Here is a rundown of what was just put in.

-New scratch built 4" narrowed beam, with shock towers, sway away adjusters.
-New beam bushings
-New, narrowed tie rods with new tie rod ends
-New TRW steering box
-CB drop spindles and front disc brakes
-New german link and king pins
-New KYB GR'2's stock sized front and rear

The wheels are 15x6.5 with front's being Nankang N803's with a size of 145R15 78S, rears are 195/50R15's. (not a fan of the staggered sizes)

I understand the handling characteristics change with lowering a vehicle. I do not know what a stock height bug feels like. I started off with all this replacing a old beam with a nasty select-a-drop adjuster, and some monster sized shocks. All of these new components "bounce" just as much as the old stuff did.

As for the rear, I have not had a chance to check and see if it's been messed with, but I'd gather from the ride height I would say no? Thoughts?

Oh, and I wanted to wait to get the car on the alignment rack to figure how much I need to fix the caster, so currently there are no caster plates.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The adjusters are adjusted pretty high, and I guess my main question is this;

Is it possible to adjust each adjuster unevenly, to the point that the springs could be working against one another? Is it possible to adjust them to high, where the geometry of the springs are not able to properly do their job?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the rear, if you don't know how it is set up in the rear, for all we know it has not been touched since last in Germany. From the photos, it looks close to stock height, but the low profile tires may be distorting my view.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
krs.br79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Check the rear, if you don't know how it is set up in the rear, for all we know it has not been touched since last in Germany. From the photos, it looks close to stock height, but the low profile tires may be distorting my view.

Maybe I'll head to Harbor Freight tomorrow and get my free flashlight, and a angle gauge and check it out. I was going to put the stock wheels and tires on tomorrow to see how they fit in the rear, and changed the ride characteristics.

Would the un-even setup like this cause extra bounce?
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYB GR2's on a 4inch beam are going to be stiff, a oil shock would be better. Also double check that you are not bottoming out the shocks. With that much rake you are going to need caster shims.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A set of used stock shocks work best. I think your probem is that the shocks are too long. check to see if they are bottoming out. I use modified stock shocks on mine. I removed the cover sleeve and shortened them 2". With a full tank of fuel it rides smooth.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narrow beams ride stiff
If the beam has urethane bushings, it rides stiff
If the bump stops are still attached it rides stiff
If the shocks are too long or gas... it rides stiff.
Less sidewall tires ride stiff.

The rear looks high but its because it has low profile rear tires...TOO low for good transaxle gearing...

Take the front shocks off and see how it rides... if its better either leave them off or find worn out used oil shocks.

Add Caster shims behind the lower tube..... its gonna need it regardless...

Yes.. the springs can be adjusted independently to "tune" the ride..
One high and one low..
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post above mine nailed it...remove the front shocks to see if they are the issue.

I would lower your rear 1 spline
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to disagree that a narrowed adjustable beam "rides stiff". KRS, first thing i would check to see if you had installed castor shims behind the beam. If not, the geometry of the front end is all jacked up and could cause locking up of the steering wheel and jamming up the tie rods. You need to bring the geometry back to normal as much as possible. Second, i would get rid of the red polyurethane bushings and go with delrin bushings. The red bushings are meant for sandrails with very light front ends. Then like someone else said, check your shocks, go with oil. Next, align it yourself, you don't need to go to some high end shop to do it for you. Just go to youtube and look around, its very easy to do. I can walk you thru it if you wish. I replaced my front stock beam with a new 4" narrowed adjustable beam from CIP1 with all new components just like you. The only thing i didn't replace was my steering box. I aligned it myself too and turned out perfect. My bug is dropped all the way the beam allows me to and drives straight and true, no pulling, drifting, shaking or shimmying. How about some pics from underneath? Oh, also, be absolutely sure the adjusters are at the same height and angle, do NOT let them fight against each other....
krs.br79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks everyone for the pointers.

So, I prefer not to have this much rake on the car, and I'd like to even the height out some. The current wheels and tires were put on by the PO, so I am not sure of their thought process behind them. I do have the stock wheels, which I will go put on today as well, to see how bad the rake is, and see how the rears sit.

In regards to caster shims, will one pair suffice? I was under the impression they needed to be added based off how far off your caster was, but from what I'm hearing I should add one shim regardless?

I will pull the front shocks off and go for a drive and see how it feels. if it improves, great, if not...I will look for oil filled shocks for the front. I don't feel like I am bottoming out the current shocks, based off measurements and past experiences on other vehicles that have bottomed out. But I will take a look at them again. Oh, and not sure if there is a difference, but the GR2 shocks I'm seeing in the classifieds say GR2 and are silver. These are black and say Excel G. Same thing?

In regards to the torsion springs, I read one comment that says they can be "tuned" independently, and another that said make sure they match. I've spent some time trying to run searches in regards to this, but cannot find adequate info on this.

For alignment, I struggle with trying to get the measurements while the car is sitting on the tires. Up on jack stands no problem. I'll look into this more for best used process to get it done.

Here are some pictures of what I have;

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the torsion bars are shortened, they simply resist to twist as easy..
A narrowed beam will ride stiffer when compared to a stock length beam.
Thats just the facts..

As for adjusting one spring independently of the other..
It's perfectly fine to do this. Its a method thats been used for years in the kit car and racing world....as well as the lowered world..
Its doesnt seem to make sense on paper... but in the real world... it does in fact work.. with no adverse effects.
You generally dont want to adjust one to force down while the other is forcing up... thats counteractive.....and yes they fight each other..

Granted.. the odd spring adjustment doesnt quite react as well on narrowed beams...but it does and can help.

(Search the kit car forum for many results on softening the suspension..)

Removing the front shocks alone may very well improve the feel.
Its not uncommon for narrowed beams... to not use shocks at all
That said I prefer rather have some very light worn oil shocks anyway.

With drop spindles.. I doubt the shocks are bottoming out...but they could simply be too stiff..

Oil shocks do more for rebound than compression dampening.. Takes the oscillating effect out of the suspension.

Gas shock will firm up and provides compression dampening and rebound dampening.
On a light weight nose of a VW gas shocks tend to be take a bump harsh and feel a bit stiff, but can provide more control.

Thats a preference thing for the driver...

Caster Shims... 1 pair help stability... even on a stock VW..
So for me.. as a tech at one of those high end (79.95) alignment shops... Confused
Stock to mild rake gets 1 pair, and lots of rake get 2 pair of Caster shims..

It looks like your beam is adjusted 3/4 to all the way up... for both tubes and the car is raked..
I hope you have enough adjustment to be able to tune. With drop spindles its best to have the adjusters installed in the center position stock height to provide some fine tuning of the springs for both ride.. and height.
If they were installed at full lowering... you may be screwed for tuning adjust-ability with drop spindles.
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krs.br79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, makes more sense now. I'll do some perusing in the kit forum and see what I can find.

Also, yes the adjusters are currently maxed out. I just went out and turned them the rest of the way. I could get another few turns if I were to get slimmer locking nut, but that's it. I told the shop that was building the beam that I was not going with a slammed look, and would have drop spindles, but neglected to ask specifically to weld them in towards the middle adjustment. Live and learn on that.

However, I also put the stock wheels/tires on and took it for a drive. Raising the adjusters all the way, and the better tire combo has made the feel a LOT better, and looks better too (aside from the color contrast).

Next I'll pull the shocks off and give it a go. I don't like doing everything at once, as then I can't see what seems to be the fix.

Thanks
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volkswagnut is correct about adding a pair of caster shims to the beam. The only reason i said that narrowed beams don't all ride stiff is simply because after i did my front end, my bug turned out just fine and feels like a stock ride, no bumpiness or stiffness. I don't scrape anywhere on the car. Another thing i would probably look at if the changes don't work is try removing the front wheels. Grab both upper and lower control arms and see if you can rotate them from a 3 o'clock position to a 1 o'clock position by hand. It should be firm not flimsy. If it's far too hard to move, you may have to remove the spindles and try this again. The polyurathane bushings may be to big possibly, that's why i recommended delrin...just my 2 cents worth..
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThingBeast wrote:
VGrab both upper and lower control arms and see if you can rotate them from a 3 o'clock position to a 1 o'clock position by hand. It should be firm not flimsy. If it's far too hard to move, you may have to remove the spindles and try this again. The polyurathane bushings may be to big possibly, that's why i recommended delrin...just my 2 cents worth..

Very good points...
If the arms are hard to rotate in a short distance.. the torsion arm bushings can and will add stiffness to the suspension.. as well as too tight link pins...
Delrin is th best choice..

krs.br79 wrote:

Next I'll pull the shocks off and give it a go. I don't like doing everything at once, as then I can't see what seems to be the fix.

Thanks

Excellent approach...

Pull the front shocks... and report.. Wink

Usually and often edited
krs.br79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThingBeast wrote:
Volkswagnut is correct about adding a pair of caster shims to the beam. The only reason i said that narrowed beams don't all ride stiff is simply because after i did my front end, my bug turned out just fine and feels like a stock ride, no bumpiness or stiffness. I don't scrape anywhere on the car. Another thing i would probably look at if the changes don't work is try removing the front wheels. Grab both upper and lower control arms and see if you can rotate them from a 3 o'clock position to a 1 o'clock position by hand. It should be firm not flimsy. If it's far too hard to move, you may have to remove the spindles and try this again. The polyurathane bushings may be to big possibly, that's why i recommended delrin...just my 2 cents worth..

Okay, so I checked this video out on youtube; http://youtu.be/Ou2q3idNAHY showing how easy they arms are to rotate. While I don't think mine rotated that easily, they weren't very stiff either. I did need to finesse them in place with a rubber mallet, but I can grab the hub and push up and down to roughly a 3-1 position...

So the Delrin bushings are the red bushings? For some reason I always thought those were the urethane bushings. I'll do some looking around.

So, I pulled the shocks off, and I cannot say I really felt that much of a difference from earlier. I did feel what may have felt like slight wheel bounce on one wheel after hitting a water culvert cover, but could not really replicate the feeling again.
littleredwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your tire psi, they might be higher than they need to be.
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krs, the red or black bushings are usually made of polyurethane material. You need to go online to Saco Performance. Com and order yourself a set of the white delrin bushings. Delrin is self lubricating unlike polyurethane. Also, the control arms won't sag when inserted into the beam but rather keep a tight and uniform fit all around. When u remove the control arms, take a pair of calipers and measure all around the beam ends to get a good measurement, then order the correct size from the list on the site. Like volkswagnut said, u need 1 pair of caster shims per 2" of rake compared to the rear height.  
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of incorrect info here. I also suggest you search deeper on the sight too.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have been getting some great info & it will help others as well. You may want to try one thing & test drive to see if there is a change. It is the simple things that usually make the big changes & try to drive the same routes during your test drives. Keep us posted
krs.br79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace wrote:
A bit of incorrect info here. I also suggest you search deeper on the sight too.

Thanks, if I took everything as gospel in life I'd be running around in circles.

I think that's the great part about the discussion forums, as there is all sorts of information for or against any issue presented, especially one as old as this site. Sometimes the search feature here is way to cumbersome to navigate and find what you're looking for, but with current discussions it has helped me narrow my information search and knowledge base.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be another case.. of... it is what it is..

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
I'll say it again..... Laughing
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
You know the saying ..... change 1 thing it effects 10...

Found with a quick search

drscope wrote:
Everyone has a different opinion of what a decent ride is.

To some its simply the ability to make it to the end of the block with out killing yourself.

Others would rather have a nice marshmellow comfortable ride along with the ability to take that highway entrance ramp at 80mph.

Unfortunately, many VW owners go after the look long before they understand the basics of how the suspension works. This usually ends poorly.

Lowering a VW can be done easily. Lowering it properly to get decent results is a completely different story.

You have to first understand that the swing axle VW is one of the most evil handling cars on the planet. Camber and toe both change drastically as the rear wheels move up and down. That means the rear wheels of the car are trying to change directions as the suspension moves.

This doesn't make for a very predictable ride.

Up front you will run into a few problems when you start doing beam modifications.

First if you go narrow you screw up the Ackerman which is built into the stock design. The more narrow you go the more you disturb the Ackerman.

For those confused at this point, Ackerman is what makes the inside wheel turn a tighter radius then the outside wheel in a turn. This is important so that each tire is tracking on the proper radius of the corner.

If Ackerman is not correct, then the front tires begin to fight each other for which one will have grip and do the steering. This is may be not too big a problem if you drive on a pool table. But in the real world, we have to deal with pavement that is not always smooth or consistent in its grip. Then we also have to deal with changes in the weather.

Poor Ackerman on an unsmooth pavement in the wet can be a real killer.

The other thing to keep in mind as you narrow the beam the spring rate goes up. So the more you cut off the torsion leaves, the stiffer the suspension becomes.

Then as you go lower, most adjusters do this by rotating the anchor point for the torsion leaves. This effectively moves the suspension geometry out of it’s acceptable range of motion.

So you are in effect diminishing the suspension travel which contributes to a much rougher riding car.

So you really need to look at what your goals are and what the intended use of the car will be.

If it going to be your daily driver, then setting it up on the conservative side will be a much smarter way to go.

But if you only plan to knock reflectors off the pavement on your way to and from the Cruise In once in a while, then you can get more aggressive with your modifications.

Just keep in mind its easy to make one change and then have to make several band aid type modifications to correct the problems you created with that one change.

Probably the nest set up for a daily driver is to leave everything stock and simply install drop spindles which you have done.

If you go with adjusters, then you will quickly find the need to axe off the bump stops and also install shorter shocks when you want to drop it. Then if you want to raise it back up, you need to go back to your stock length shocks.

Going narrow you can get away with 4 inches, but you may need to alter the shock towers.

Going without shocks will take you directly back to the argument of what a decent ride is. And basically that doesn’t fit my idea of a decent ride or a safe ride.

smitty24 wrote:

I don't even want to say anything because these suspension questions always get into a pissing match between skunks! Like the Doc said= leave it stock if you want stock ride. You cannot have a 4" beam that rides soft AND handles like stock. It isnt possible. You shorten tie rod too much you get funky angles and bump steer as a result. It IS possible to have an OK ride, but it wont be awesome. I had a 5.5" shockless dumped beam on one of my rides...there was a way to make it ride soft, but then all handling was out the window.

Too many people get on here and don't bother to research suspension. They slam their car, then EXPECT it to ride like a Caddy, and handle like a Carrera.

The trick with any lowered beam is to let the spindles and tires do 70-80% of the drop...the beam adjusters just barely clean up the rest. If you slam the adjusters or go out of comfortable torsion leaf range, you get harsh ride.

I have done a ton of experiments for myself over the past couple years to find the perfect medium for handling street bugs. The perfect match of both worlds is a 2" CB beam with spindles and a swaybar. 2 sets of caster shims, CB narrowed swaybar, and either Kyb gr2 (lowered)-lowered oil shocks--or lowered Barndoor bus oil shocks (if you are too low only). I personally like the KYB for faster performance. Oil shocks ride softer but dont help when it comes to speed and handling. Gr2s are perfect for street bugs.

Now, in your case--you have a BJ front end. This also changes things. This is NOT king and link pin. You CANNOT go as low or you get a harsh ride. This is due to the joint design. I had a slammed '67 bug years ago that went through (4) different suspension makeovers! Dropped spindles and MINIMAL beam notches is all you can do. The joints ride harsh if you go low, even with the "extra travel" ones. It is the design of the front end and how the joint works. A 4" lowered kingpin bug will NOT ride the same as a 4" lowered. BJ bug.

The points here= plan wisely! Set the bastard up how you will use it daily. If you live in a place full of shat roads, dont go as low. If you are a big guy with a car full of shit, dont go as low.

Tires are very important as well. A lot can be done with handling/ride/lowering/raising. People often build the suspensions and do the tires last. I dropped my '67 splitty 2" by just slapping some tires on. Very important.
\
Also= the Doc is one of the few on the Samba that knows anything about suspension. Theres a reason why he fills these type of posts.

Usually and often edited
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: