Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A little bouncy...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRS, you are correct in that there is so much info out there on suspensions but at the end of the day, its your car, do what you like, I did. I lowered mine via adjustable beam only. I could not use drop spindles as my AC Industries disc brakes won't allow me, so mine is lowered about 3.5" up front, not slammed. I'm running 145's up front and 195's in the rear. I don't like to be worried about bottoming out or scraping everywhere. Volkswagnut is probably right in that if you want to slam your bug, you will get a harsh ride. I didn't want to worry about ripping off my extra large sump in the back or not be able to fully turn my wheels to make a U-turn. I will post a pic of my car these evening so you can see where mine sits. With so many opinions out there, do yourself a favor and talk to someone with tons of experience on air cooled suspensions like Airkweld. They have it down to a science. They are great people who will explain to you in detail how the suspension works even if you don't buy anything from them. Just my 2 cents worth....
PS: that's a SWEET looking bug! I like the chrome wheels on it!! How bout some interior pics!
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2" narrowed beam ghia rides pretty stiff at the front. Much more so than the shortening of the torsion springs by an inch would account for. After dropping it around 2" the trailing arms look fairly parallel to the ground, so I am not sure that would account for it either. Beats me, but it sure handles great. No anti sway bar, and it rides like its on rails. 195/60/r15 tires.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krs, your new wheel/tire combination and vehicle stance looks excellent. What size tires are on there now? The wheels are 4.5" wide Porsche 356 replicas. I rarely see them painted in body color, which looks good on yours and makes the car actually look older than with the chromed wider wheels. Hope you keep this combination and can enjoy your ride.
krs.br79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
krs, your new wheel/tire combination and vehicle stance looks excellent. What size tires are on there now? The wheels are 4.5" wide Porsche 356 replicas. I rarely see them painted in body color, which looks good on yours and makes the car actually look older than with the chromed wider wheels. Hope you keep this combination and can enjoy your ride.

Wow, I guess that explains the spare having a Porsche center cap, I thought they were stock wheels with 165's on them. Kind of interesting tidbit, thanks for that.

I like the feel and the height of my last pictures, and I think that's about how I will keep it. I have ordered up a set of caster shims along with a few other pieces, and will look at getting them put on, then do my alignment as best I can.

I appreciate all the feedback, and pointers, and areas and parts to look at. While I am not a personal fan of the slammed to the pan look, I have always been a fan of a functional, lowered look on all my cars. I have also never ridden in a stock trim bug to know what one rides like for comparison.

But again, I think most my questions were answered, and again I have been able to add to my iKnowledge on certain components of the car.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatcha got for an engine, to have the $$ vintage speed exhaust?
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRS, hit me up when you are ready to do your alignment. I can show you how to do it the way I did mine, turned out perfect. Very simple, just have 2 jack stands and some fishing line and tape measure handy, that's all you will need.
krs.br79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Whatcha got for an engine, to have the $$ vintage speed exhaust?

I have more exhaust than I do engine right now. I just needed to ditch the terrible stinger with rusted out merge collector that came with the car. I'd like to build an engine next year, and since I didn't want to double spend on an exhaust, I just purchased the VS exhaust now.

But to answer your question, it's a 1600dp.
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRS, any luck with the alignment? Just curious.
krs.br79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThingBeast wrote:
KRS, any luck with the alignment? Just curious.

Yes, I think...

I installed the caster shims, and did the alignment like we talked about. Took it on the freeway and all seems straight. I think I need to do a little adjusting on the steering box, but other than that it's feeling good.

Cool
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news glad I could help. Hopefully it was as easy as I explained.
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news glad I could help. Hopefully it was as easy as I explained.
krs.br79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

I have fixed my suspension issue, but this was in regards to the Porsche replica wheels.

I finally pulled the old tires off these rims and did some looking around. I guess this was a good find, as these are 1956 Lemmerz Wheels, from what I gather these were for the Porsche 356, not just a replica.

Good thing I didn't scrap them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: A little bouncy... Reply with quote

Great information : I don't want or need a lowered bug , but it is always good to know how it all works . THANKS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: