Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cimbria SS Gullwing Coupe
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dandyduct
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Cimbria SS Gullwing Coupe Reply with quote

Everyone who reads all the posting should know my story about this car, the engine builder, the installation and all the problems.

Why my engine would not run in my car:

The new carburetor was faulty, had leaks in the linkage bushings, an open vacuum port.

The intake manifolds were not tight and leaking.
The paper gaskets were all soaked and torn.

I removed the intake manifold and found the fuel line pinched off between the intake manifold left tube and the A/C mounting bracket.

So the engine was starving for gas and was running the float bowl dry.

I removed the 009 Chinese POS distributor and threw it in the trash and installed a nice electronic one.

Install the 4-barrell Webber carb. "The engine builder said would never work".

Now the engine runs pretty damn good.

I have been praying for forgiveness to the engine builder and his company for months.

Jesus is listening.

My life is better.

May the LORD come down upon the engine builder and he makes it right.
dandyduct
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Cimbria SS Gullwing Coupe Reply with quote

Ok, today was a day to fix some items on the engine that the builder did wrong.

I installed new rubber boots on the intake manifolds, rigged up the linkage to the 4-barrel Webber, set the timing static and the engine fired up and ran good.

Test drive after warm up shows good improvement. The front wheels lifted off the ground when the clutch hooked up. Never got out of second gear and never took the RPM over 3500.

I found a oil pressure sender unit for the SW gauge that the builder lost, and installed it, but it only shows 25psi, when I did a mechanical check and it showed over 50 so just need to deal with that and remember the psi is only 1/2.

Now what's left to fix from the builders mistakes is the transmission coupling, front bushing, turn signals wiring, replace the burned up wire harness, and install new exhaust gaskets.

Over a year in the making and over 50 mistakes the builder did to my car, but now today I drove it for the first time since last July.

So the video of the builder saying it had bad gas was a bunch of chit.
Pinched fuel line, bad carb, loose intakes, torn boots, melted spark plug wires on exhaust, melted wiring harness, grounded out points wire to blower housing were just some of the culprits causing the engine to not run.

You get what you pay for, HA.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of the issues, but nobody is taking the bait of your complaints. The only other thread you have is in the engine forum which was locked, so unless someone actively searched for your other posts, we have no idea what's happened to your car. Complaints about the builder should be in the feedback thread, not here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post builder complaints elsewhere.

This is a discussion forum for people giving and needing advice about dunebuggies and kitcars. Your problems are at this point strictly related to engine and transmission problems common to all VW beetles and should be posted in the engine and transmission forum. Since Everett locked your only thread there, I would advise taking another approach in soliciting opinions or finding another forum appropriate for bellyaching about a consumer complaint.

You will encounter problems such as you describe over and over again. Its an old car. Its nobody's fault but time. Good luck with your build.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: