Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ok, New Fuel pump AND tank and everything and still slow...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
the craigness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not whats happening. It did this crap with BOTH tanks. I feels like a fuel delivery problem but i'm not 100% sure. I do not think it's a fuel volume problem. The recovery on pressure on a hard fast rev is immidiate.

It could be the vacuum advance. I need a hand pump to check the advance diaphragm.

I might advance the timing a bit to see if that helps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A DigiTool diagnostic run to verify all sensors, ECU, coil and various other components would cut to the chase wiring and electronically.

Check the 10cent timing article for a fast and easy setting procedure.
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the craigness wrote:
I feels like a fuel delivery problem but i'm not 100% sure. I do not think it's a fuel volume problem.

I agree. I am sure you are right. But, why not just do the test? It does not take long, all you have to do is disconnect the fuel return line from the fuel pressure regulator, attach some tube and run it in to a container. Remove the fuel pump relay and jumper the contacts. Time for 30 seconds and measure the amount of fuel pumped. Watch the fuel pressure while you are doing this.

Takes 30 minutes max, you already have the pressure gauge. This way you will be 100% sure, and you will know it is not a fuel delivery problem. Check that one off your list of possibles.

RonC
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel quantity test IS the important fuel delivery test. Most of what you are seeing in the pressure gauge needle behavior is probably just due to the vacuum line effects. You can test this easily enough by seeing what the needle does with the vacuum line off and plugged when you blip the throttle in the same ways.

RPM isn't what determines how much fuel is needed. Power production is what determines that. Simply increasing the rpm while parked doesn't demand nearly the amount of fuel that driving the van does.

Mark

the craigness wrote:
Thats not whats happening. It did this crap with BOTH tanks. I feels like a fuel delivery problem but i'm not 100% sure. I do not think it's a fuel volume problem. The recovery on pressure on a hard fast rev is immidiate. .....
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put that fuel pressure gauge back on the fuel rail.
Take the vanagon for a ride with someone in the engine compartment
keeping an eye on the fuel pressure. I've done this many times.
This basically will test the entire fuel system, and rules out
everything at one time. Ether you have a fuel system problem or
you don't, and go look else where. Its not hard. To much BS here!
Do the test or give up.
the craigness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do the latter with a slave, err, helper...

What should the needle read under load? How much should it drop under heavy acceleration? And how fast should it recover.

I drive it on the highway for about 3 hours yesterday. Van gets to 75mph (Via GPS, not that crappy speedo) on flat highway. It seems to have no low end torque. You have to rev it to 2500rpm off the line or you might stall coming off the clutch too fast. When it ran well, you could start off in 2nd just feathering the clutch a bit. A lot more low end. I did advance the timing a bit (5-7" degrees) and that helped with highway top speed but now the van no longer wants to start on the key without a bit of gas. Perhaps a trade off?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you checked compression?
the craigness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. compression is great. Near spec.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is sounds on par with a used WBX.
Vanagons don't set land speed reconds...unless they are H6 powered Wink
extender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have done thorough fuel leak check. Nothing wrong there.

As anyone heard about checking air leaks by using a music fog machine. what would I do? Fog the inside of the motor area and see if I see the fog dissipating somewhere which would I would guess indicate an air leak.

Also does anyone know about a baffle of some kind in the muffler that closes shut sometimes and, if there is such a thing, how to check it?

Any, any ideas would certainly be worth a try. I have put so much money in this van. It's just beautiful and, until a few months ago, worked so well. Two air-cooled vw mechanics have worked on it and done all the tests and checked everything over and over that they can think of, so any new ideas would be great.
extender
Samba Member

As anyone heard about checking air leaks by using a music fog machine. what would I do? Fog the inside of the motor area and see if I see the fog dissipating somewhere which would I would guess indicate an air leak.

Also does anyone know about a baffle of some kind in the muffler that closes shut sometimes and, if there is such a thing, how to check it?

Any, any ideas would certainly be worth a try. I have put so much money in this van. It's just beautiful and, until a few months ago, worked so well. Two air-cooled vw mechanics have worked on it and done all the tests and checked everything over and over that they can think of, so any new ideas would be great.
extender
Samba Member

extender
Samba Member

extender
Samba Member

Any, any ideas would certainly be worth a try. I have put so much money in this van. It's just beautiful and, until a few months ago, worked so well. Two air-cooled vw mechanics have worked on it and done all the tests and checked everything over and over that they can think of, so any new ideas would be great

extender
Samba Member

Any, any ideas would certainly be worth a try. I have put so much money in this van. It's just beautiful and, until a few months ago, worked so well. Two air-cooled vw mechanics have worked on it and done all the tests and checked everything over and over that they can think of, so any new ideas would be great

extender
Samba Member

extender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's really wrong here is "failure to communicate."
There must be some sort of big time fog over your keyboard--I'd give that look see first.

Yes, you are the Great Extender--pretending that your doing well, your need is such , you extend to much, your lonely but no one can tell.
extender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your great help. Have yourself a nice day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: