Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hi guys, new to the "vintage" world
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishybastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Hi guys, new to the "vintage" world Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I am new to the vintage speed stuff. I am more into sandrails etc. However, I have taken over a rather large horde of single port stuff. I do not know ANYTHING about this stuff. I figured out this would be a good place to start. I have always wanted to build an old style farm/dune buggy and I just happen to have a shortened swing axle pan(came with this deal) that I would like to use one of the single port motors on. I will be picking up most of the parts this week and was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what I actually have. Thanks in advance!
fishybastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went and got the parts last night. One of the motors is a 36hp the other 4 are 40hp. 3 of them turn and all but one are 80% or more complete. Two have dune buggy style exhaust the others have stock. I am still digging through the massive pile of misc parts I got with it. At least a few swing axles, couple irs and one split case.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post pics if you want some identification help.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fishybastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wont let me upload pics to the gallery from my phone. Engine numbers are as follows: 3076397(1960), 5289253(with w1 stamped under)(1961), 8377958 (with w4 stamped under)(1964 or 65?), F0593315(66), F0766602(66). I think I have them all decoded to what year they are. Any of these a desirable motor?
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the F case motors are (or were) 1300 single port motors, as far as I know the US got them in 1966 only. there might be some stock guys looking for one or a spare for their car.

they are all desirable in one way or other and all have their advantages and disadvantages. I think which you start with all depends on what you want in the end.

36hp. the oldest, plenty of options as far as period performance stuff, but none are cheap, probably the hardest to get hp out of due to it's design and as it starts out with the lowest hp.

40hp. still old enough to have "cred", plenty of period options for the outside but you can use some of the easily available off the shelf internals aka cams. (and a lot more with some more internal changes). a more solid foundation to make power off. 50 years of formula vee motors to get ideas/bits from.

1300sp not traditionally seen as a vintage speed (but can be imho), the hardest to find period twin carb kits for but there are huge amounts of options for centre mount twin throat carbs and 70's or later twin carb kits. they have smaller oil galleries than the later motors but apart from that restriction you can do basically anything to them that you can to a 1600dp motor. for that reason it is a tricky path to take to keep it "vintage speed" rather than just building a hot single port.

which ever way you go it sounds like you have plenty of stuff to swap/sell to help fund your build and plenty of fun to be had. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fishybastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I plan on building a "period correct" shorted tunnel buggy and putting one of these on it. I think ill probably end up with one of the 40s or the 36. One of the 1300s has an insane amount of crank play in it. The other 1300 would run very easily I think.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: