Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roof rack weight limit?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Roof rack weight limit? Reply with quote

I've done several searches here and elsewhere. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms.

Does anyone know what a split bus weight limit would be for a rack mounted to the drip rails? Specifically a 1962 double cab with 3 leg rack but realistically ANY overall advised roof weight limit from the factory.

I saw 220lbs somewhere but wasn't sure

Thanks in advance.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would depend on the manufacture of the rack. Anywhere from 100 to 300 Lbs..
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me go check my ZVW rack sticker on my 6' VWoA rack, be right back...

OK, I'm back, and as stated earlier- it's is marked 220lbs. I'm sure that really means up to around 350 evenly distributed, as VW notoriously underrated their capacities for such things.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....., I can't see anything in the splitty manuals but the early bay ones say 165 lbs for the DC under roof capacity (220 for bus), the drip rails are really similar so I'll bet that's the same for a split. They say "evenly distributed" so more legs on the rack is better, I doubt it's the strength of the drip rails that are the issue as much as handling unless you also have a heavy load in the back to balance things out.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

350-400 lbs
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

about the same... maybe more.

I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really appreciate the feedback. I was looking into one of those rooftop tents and was curious if it could handle the tent +2 adults (on a DC). It would be a Yakima rack, so the rack really isn't the problem. Its more of a matter if the rails can handle it.

I'm just a bit too long for the bed to lay down and it would be fun to have it up there for the kids.

I wonder if there was a way to tell if the rails were overstressed
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a related noted I know that HWE racks much like the ones that EZCamper makes originally came with a weight load sticker. IS anyone repopping them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sdmjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen racks that doubled as an observation deck. Not sure how much they hold but seems like you could put a tent on one. Here's a link to a guy that makes repro sundial/caravelle decks...pretty sweet.

http://customautoracks.com/vwracks.htm
mtb7001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your'e using 1A raingutter towers just use MORE sets. Mount 4 bars on 4 towers. Four contact points, each capable of holding 200-300lbs easily. It would be interesting to see an actual test on how much it would take for a rail to fail.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtb7001 wrote:
If your'e using 1A raingutter towers just use MORE sets. Mount 4 bars on 4 towers. Four contact points, each capable of holding 200-300lbs easily. It would be interesting to see an actual test on how much it would take for a rail to fail.

Ding Ding Ding! The perfect answer. On my Vanagon, I simply ran three 1A bars- I could stack two daycare centers up there and had enough capacity for a spare nursing home- all full of diapers.

Really though, the 1A towers distribute the weight with their wide feet on the gutters better than any VW rack. More importantly, and mtb7001 knows this one... the rack's clips handle the PULL against the gutters very well. It is this pulling force when on the highway that cause more stress to roof racks and gutters than the weight ON the gutters. If you catch my drift.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Really appreciate the feedback. I was looking into one of those rooftop tents and was curious if it could handle the tent +2 adults (on a DC). It would be a Yakima rack, so the rack really isn't the problem. Its more of a matter if the rails can handle it.

I'm just a bit too long for the bed to lay down and it would be fun to have it up there for the kids.

I wonder if there was a way to tell if the rails were overstressed

You mean like this?-

I have camped with two kids and 1.75 adults (my wife & I). I wouldn't recommend that many people up there. Not because of the drip rails. But because it turns into a Monkey House and you can die if you fall out!

I don't have pics, but I made a rack that would hold the Camp'otel in the bed at the same height as an HWE halfrack. I never camped in it that way, but it was a better solution than so high on the roof. Easier to get in and out of and a slightly lower profile. My plan was to mount a piece of plywood in the rack and fab up a cover for it so we could sit up there. I called it "The PORCHE".

There was plenty of storage under the camper and up on the rack. Ialso made chains to hold the gates level when disconnected for a handy place to cook, store coolers, etc. I would be camping in it like a Boss if the economy hadn't kicked my ass.

In the pic you can one of the VW bus jacks that I used in the jackpoints to both level up the bus and stabilize it. That worked great.

And to answer the OP's question, a rack that positions the legs over the A & B pillars and the posts between the side windows will hold several 100 pounds. I don't think it is the bus structure that will limit you. It will most likely be the rack bending.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks! Great info all around. Really appreciate it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: