Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Someone save these! Fresno, CA VW junkyard being crushed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Someone save these! Fresno, CA VW junkyard being crushed Reply with quote

Don't let them get crushed

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4733254706.html
DanFromCt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would kill to get to that yard... I could use a lot of that metal.
But... one heck of a hike!
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanFromCt wrote:
I would kill to get to that yard... I could use a lot of that metal.
But... one heck of a hike!

Same....cal is wayyyyyyyyyy too far
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called today- almost made a trip. They're open until 4 on weekdays.

A1 Auto Wrecking
3465 S. Chestnut
Fresno CA 93725
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is lame. I watch the Central Valley CL all the time on VW buses - to run an ad monday and say we crush all next week is terrible. If this fellow wanted to sell these things he should have let everyone know months ago. I would have been glad to go down and catalog the things they have so people could send him orders. In fact, in 10 years of chasing VW buses and parts I've never seen one ad from him nor heard one bus owner in the valley mention his name. The Google maps does show it is a legit yard.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's stupid and wasteful. there's probably a bunch of parts I could use if I had time to arrange it....
tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
that is lame. I watch the Central Valley CL all the time on VW buses - to run an ad monday and say we crush all next week is terrible. If this fellow wanted to sell these things he should have let everyone know months ago. I would have been glad to go down and catalog the things they have so people could send him orders. In fact, in 10 years of chasing VW buses and parts I've never seen one ad from him nor heard one bus owner in the valley mention his name. The Google maps does show it is a legit yard.

well if you read the whole ad it says under NEW ownership. look at the pics and see every good bay door is gone. numerous Brits hit that yard every time they are on the West Coast so I bet most if not all of the good parts are gone already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Fresno V.W. wrecking yard Reply with quote

I am pretty sure the 'old owner's' name was George or Guy.
and posted here many years ago.

Also there probably a chance someone could call and delay the inevitable
fate of these V.W.'s

If only Karl was here now he would tell us since that yard was in business when
he lived in Fresno.... Crying or Very sad
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a little surprising. Abe and John partnered up with a younger fellow who was going to start bringing in Hondas, etc. The VW stuff was supposed to stay.

I am frequently at that yard. Abe and John have *always* given me a square deal. This is a sole proprietor, father and son business. Life is not always fair or even handed, and tough calls need to be made. Abe is well into his retirement years, but he is still actively helping people get what he has. The original business name was Continental Auto Wrecking. Their phone number is (559) 268-4623, so let your fingers do the walking.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the western European crowd hits this yard a couple of times a year, so yeah, there gets to be less and less choices available. But there was no secret that this yard had a clouded future. They had a For Lease sign on the property for about a year now, and if you sat and talked with Abe for any length of time, he'd tell you so.

I like visiting there, even if I have no need to haggle, trade barbs, lies or otherwise. You could sit under the entrance porch and have a cool water while Abe tried to sell you a used part for ten million dollars, only to walk out very happy for far less than what you would have paid on EBay... or just about anywhere else... and with no strings attached, no bitterness. At least that's how it always has been for me.

They have a lot of glass, front ends, doors and tin... but most of the bay window front doors went back to Europe. A lot of stuff is also inside on shelves. Your best bet is to make a list of what you need and then call.

Get down there and bring your cash. No checks or debit cards tendered, no ATM on site, no internet, no cell phones, no online catalogue. Just your once-typical American junkyard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know any shops or other parts yards that could help out? Get contacting your friends out there. Too far for me :(
PS any slider windows?
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, what a shame...

If I lived closer I'd adopt a bus... or two!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can swing it, there is a pretty dry October 1971 bus with 1972 taillights... missing the two front doors, though. Look for the one that is dark green and white. Still pretty straight.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if they get crushed the value of mine goes up.
It is sad to see stuff go bye bye.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Well if they get crushed the value of mine goes up.
It is sad to see stuff go bye bye.

To me a vintage car only has value so long as you can drive it. Once the parts to keep it going are gone, mine will follow the others to the crusher. Crushing this number of buses just hastens that day.
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just called to verify if it is tomorrow Thursday or next week Thursday that they were going to crush these vws and the guy told me it was going to be tomorrow but they were unable to do it this week so it will be next Thursday. They're open on Saturday 9 to 3.

Sad He didn't have the bits I need.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:
Sad He didn't have the bits I need.

another reason they are going to the crusher, the good parts are are long gone
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Most of the good was taken out of these busses. This yard was not some unknown place, and it served its people and busses well. I think that we need to just acknowledge that these busses lived a purposeful life, donated their fair share of parts, and find a new yard. There are still plenty of air cooled salvages that don't look like they are going anywhere anytime soon.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sucks is all the rust free metal on the body shells. We all watch people try to fit up the horrible aftermarket metal made for bays. I think people are figuring out fast that it's much easier to fit used, original metal off donor's than to fit the thin, poorly stamped metal sold today.

If I lived closer, I'd probably go visit the yard and cut good donor sections off the remaining bus's that often rust out.

Oh well.. I'm sure 50 years ago people were bummed when all the old cars from the 20's and 30's were being crushed. I should say, the remaining cars from that period that we still around after the World War II scrap metal drives.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were close to me, I would look for a good body and trailer it home. Clean it up and paint it and then swap all the mechanics over.
Scootty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Crushing VW in California Reply with quote

Don't Panic... Probably just a Grab for Attention..

Auto junk yards can not crush vehicles in California now with out the appropriate permits, which means they need appropriate SCAQMD and EPA equipment. This is mostly due to the fugitive Fuels, Oils left in the engine block, transmission, and radiator (if applicable).

By that I mean, they require a Fume Collection Hood, Large 50,000 CFM or so Centrifugal Blower, a Cyclone and Dust Collector, Mist Eliminator (grease Filter) and a Large Regenerative or Recuperative Thermal Oxidizer (incinerator basically).. and of course THE CRUSHER. All told nearly One Million Dollars worth of Crusher and Air Pollution Control Equipment. I doubt they have that. Otherwise they would have to haul all these VW's to a Permitted site for crushing and recycling. Moving all these fine VW's would be expensive, unless they get top dollar scrap value. Interesting...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: