Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Someone save these! Fresno, CA VW junkyard being crushed
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Crushing VW in California Reply with quote

Scootty wrote:
Don't Panic... Probably just a Grab for Attention..

Auto junk yards can not crush vehicles in California now with out the appropriate permits, which means they need appropriate SCAQMD and EPA equipment. This is mostly due to the fugitive Fuels, Oils left in the engine block, transmission, and radiator (if applicable).

By that I mean, they require a Fume Collection Hood, Large 50,000 CFM or so Centrifugal Blower, a Cyclone and Dust Collector, Mist Eliminator (grease Filter) and a Large Regenerative or Recuperative Thermal Oxidizer (incinerator basically).. and of course THE CRUSHER. All told nearly One Million Dollars worth of Crusher and Air Pollution Control Equipment. I doubt they have that. Otherwise they would have to haul all these VW's to a Permitted site for crushing and recycling. Moving all these fine VW's would be expensive, unless they get top dollar scrap value. Interesting...

True on the regulations....but thats not how it actually works.

Its that way in almost all states to one degree or another.....but how it actually works (and I have seen this in numerous cities in different states including here in Des Moines Iowa last year)....

......is that when the city moves to not re-up a permit for an "undesirable" business....or if zoning changes....or even more frequently the actual land its on has either changed hands or reverted to state custody due to a family death where it wasn't properly administered in the will or property taxes are owed......the city or state will order the land vacated by "X" date.

That means the stuff gets hauled off....to an environmental abatement company that does all of what you note.

Also....about half of what you listed must already be done by virtually all salvage yards in the 49 states.

If you look carefully, they have several tanks....one with anti-freeze liberated from radiators and blocks when the car first enters the yard on a forklift, a tank for mixed oils (its been 30 years since I have bought and engine or trans in a modern junkyard that actually had oil still in it...in at least a dozen states).....a battery collection point....a cat converter collection bin etc etc.

Usually if an inspection deems that a yard has "generally" complied with all of the norms listed above....they just scrape it clean and haul it to a crusher.

You will probably find in the end that the nice fellow who knew the end was coming and sold his interest...sold it to some guys who could not pay the tax lien either. My bet is that its reverting to the state, city or county...and you should be able to find a record at the county tax assessors office of whats going on.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evlwevl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A old coworker/friend of mine owns a VW junkyard in Merced right off Hwy 99 on Childs. The name of his yard is called ProVolks Ranch. Anyone ever hear of it? I'm sure he would have taken the drive to pick some of those up if he knew about that yard closing.

55 Prostreet Bug
59 Daily Driver Bug
63 Baja
00 Turbo New Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StevieLBCA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Fresno Junkyard Reply with quote

Im leaving Orange county this Saturday, passing thru Fresno going to Elko Nevada and back thru Fresno going home to Huntington Beach. If anyone needs anything I can bring it back for you. Please get back to me ASAP....Steve
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Crushing VW in California Reply with quote

Scootty wrote:
Don't Panic... Probably just a Grab for Attention..

Auto junk yards can not crush vehicles in California now with out the appropriate permits, which means they need appropriate SCAQMD and EPA equipment. This is mostly due to the fugitive Fuels, Oils left in the engine block, transmission, and radiator (if applicable).

By that I mean, they require a Fume Collection Hood, Large 50,000 CFM or so Centrifugal Blower, a Cyclone and Dust Collector, Mist Eliminator (grease Filter) and a Large Regenerative or Recuperative Thermal Oxidizer (incinerator basically).. and of course THE CRUSHER. All told nearly One Million Dollars worth of Crusher and Air Pollution Control Equipment. I doubt they have that. Otherwise they would have to haul all these VW's to a Permitted site for crushing and recycling. Moving all these fine VW's would be expensive, unless they get top dollar scrap value. Interesting...

They don't 'crush' anything there, they just send their junk bodies... and other accumulated crap... to their next door neighbor:

http://www.sarecycling.com/locations/scrap-metal-p...e-y32.aspx

Which is where most of this stuff will likely end up... they sent one beat to shit late baywindow (completely stripped) to SA Recycling last month. As far as environmental concerns, be advised none of those buses or bugs you see have engines mounted in them anymore, and only one Vanagon still had its transmission. Batteries? Long gone. About the only hazardous material left are tires.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if this guy has done his crushing yet? Can't get the "reply" to work in the Craiglist ad. Will be heading through the area tomorrow and was thinking of stopping by if the hulks are still there.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went there today, hadn't been by in awhile. Another chapter closes. I felt cheated, old and troubled. That's the way the ball bounces, I guess.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like they missed a few, too bad Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, those are sold, awaiting pick-up. They have an array of bug doors, and a few misc. parts on the shelves.
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they say where they went? Are they all crushed?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the new guy ran the Craigslist ad, they got calls from all over. People came from many places around the state. Some of it was collected by the folks across the pond again, also. Chunks of bodies went to the crusher. Today, there were two 55 gallon drums of carburetors and other die cast metal parts that were headed to the scrapper next door. Six Vanagon bodies went to a local guy. The late 1971 body I had my eye on was sold to a local, too.

The distributors and thermostats were sold and I don't know what happened to the two bus loads of tin and heater boxes. A lot of it was crushed, I think a lot of the beetles went to the scrapper. There are still two ghia bodies and a fastback.
wardwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: anybody know a Randy outside Fresno with vw graveyard? Reply with quote

Saw on Am. Pickers tonight. Lots of split buses & some beetles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: