Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why you don't wear jewelry while working on your car.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73super-steph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaosisme wrote:
In high school my auto shop teacher told us never to wear watches or jewelry when working on cars for that exact same reason because the same thing happened to him.

Yeah my dad arced his watch across a corvette coil and actually blew his watch apart one time, That is why he always told me never to wear jewelry while working on cars, Guess some lessons just have to be learned the hard way.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to show this to my wife. She thinks I am kidding when working with rings etc can ruin your day

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
73super-steph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I am going to show this to my wife. She thinks I am kidding when working with rings etc can ruin your day

That's a good idea. I encourage everyone to learn from my mistake.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So listen up, men! When you go to the bar, be sure to take off your ring, just in case you have to help someone with their car in the parking lot. Be safe!
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73super-steph wrote:
hitest wrote:
My buddy arced under his dash with a ring he had for scoring a hat trick in bowling! It had three rubies, so when it burned his finger it left three really cool diamond-shaped white arc-delete sections- just like a small Mitsubishi emblem!

Cool

This thread would be so much better with some photos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Why you don't wear jewelry while working on your car. Reply with quote

73super-steph wrote:
So pulled the car out yesterday and turned it off I check the oil. When I got back in to start it. Wouldn't start, popped the back seat to look at the wiring and see what was wrong.
Here is where the story gets interesting.
I noticed a wire had come loose from my hard start button, so I reached down to tighten it back up, and I had forgotten to take my watch off.
When I reached in, my watch touched the positive side of the battery, and arced through the metal wristband to a ground. Well in this process, the clasp got very very hot (red hot to be exact), I tried to pull it off only to realize that the arc made a spot weld on the clasp keeping me from opening it. At this point I am in allot of pain, I can hear my arm sizzling. Finally I got my knife out and managed to pry the clasp open and get the watch off. But the damage was already done, I have a second degree burn about the size of a half dollar, and a third degree burn the size of a dime, on my left wrist.
Heading to the doc tomorrow to get it checked out. Wish me luck.

pics or it didn't happen....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73super-steph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Why you don't wear jewelry while working on your car. Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
73super-steph wrote:
So pulled the car out yesterday and turned it off I check the oil. When I got back in to start it. Wouldn't start, popped the back seat to look at the wiring and see what was wrong.
I noticed a wire had come loose from my hard start button, so I reached down to tighten it back up, and I had forgotten to take my watch off.
When I reached in, my watch touched the positive side of the battery, and arced through the metal wristband to a ground. Well in this process, the clasp got very very hot (red hot to be exact), I tried to pull it off only to realize that the arc made a spot weld on the clasp keeping me from opening it. At this point I am in allot of pain, I can hear my arm sizzling. Finally I got my knife out and managed to pry the clasp open and get the watch off. But the damage was already done, I have a second degree burn about the size of a half dollar, and a third degree burn the size of a dime, on my left wrist.

I would but I don't knowing how to upload pics.
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Why you don't wear jewelry while working on your car. Reply with quote

73super-steph wrote:
blankmange wrote:
73super-steph wrote:

read up:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me to the wedding ring chorus. Ring got snagged twice. Very lucky not to loose my finger second time. Don't wear the ring anymore.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73super-steph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Why you don't wear jewelry while working on your car. Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
73super-steph wrote:
blankmange wrote:
73super-steph wrote:

read up:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Yeah I tried that but for some reason it's not happy on my phone. Ills re what I can do.
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing a couple years back. Was test fitting a new repro 'vert W decklid and slid my left hand over the top of the alternator. Saw a flash, heard a pop, then a sizzling noise. Then pain. I was wearing my work watch, a steel Timex. It welded 3 links together instantly, and I couldn't get the watch off fast enough to prevent bad burns. I have pics for the curious...lol
Yes, the watch still works.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a land surveyor I have to jump the occasional fence. Several years ago my wedding ring got caught on a fence, no real damage done luckily. But what does stick in my mind was a picture on the back page of an Air Force mechanics magazine, it was a hand with all the skin ripped off the ring finger of some guy who had worn a ring. Nothing but bone on that finger. I only wear my wedding ring when the wife and I go out.
73super-steph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustforlife wrote:
I did the same thing a couple years back. Was test fitting a new repro 'vert W decklid and slid my left hand over the top of the alternator. Saw a flash, heard a pop, then a sizzling noise. Then pain. I was wearing my work watch, a steel Timex. It welded 3 links together instantly, and I couldn't get the watch off fast enough to prevent bad burns. I have pics for the curious...lol
Yes, the watch still works.

Ouch.
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm showing my age but remember it like it was yesterday. I was working on a early 70s Ford, positive terminal of the battery next to the fender...ring finger slid between terminal and fender...gold ring lit up like a Christmas tree.
73super-steph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardc wrote:
I'm showing my age but remember it like it was yesterday. I was working on a early 70s Ford, positive terminal of the battery next to the fender...ring finger slid between terminal and fender...gold ring lit up like a Christmas tree.

I bet that got your attention.
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I often a gold bracelet. Laid it over the + terminal of the alternator and the droop of it hit the body of the alt..... BANG. that was the back of my head on the deck lid.

On the finger subject, I'll leave you with this. A fellow I knew in high school thought he'd make it big in basketball. Saw him 25 years later and he was nothing but a drunk. Asked a friend what happened to him?!

He lost a finger on a slam dunk. Ring caught a rim hook for the net.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers are overrated. Four is plenty!
Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Wink

Amen! Laughing Laughing Thanks Jerry!
73super-steph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Wink

Lol
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear my ring and necklace everyday to work, and I am a mechanic. One must be constantly aware when working on cars of potential dangers. It's like a game of chess, really. You have to think ahead of which way things are going to fly when they come loose, etc. My coworkers consider me slow, but I'm not the one with busted up hands, or who punches themselves in the face, or who flings brake fluid in there eye. I've always been like that though, my mom told me when I was little I would lecture my friends not to do things lest they break a bone.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: