Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja 1000 5/1600
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MontanaBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Baja 1000 5/1600 Reply with quote

Hello. I'm new to this site and to VW's in general, though I did own a 1995 VW jetta.

In the last month or so, I became interested in the Baja1000 again, it had been something I wanted to do as a kid and now that I'm an adult I can start building my own vehicle to race.

As I did some research I found that the 5/1600 class called to me, so I'd like to start putting one together. With it being so close to this years 1000, I decided I'll wait to buy the score rule book until after.

But I have several questions for those men, and women who have tried, completed and or won the Baja 1000.

Number one: Awesome Experience?

Number Two: When you raced what parts were the most likely to go out?

Number Three: I was told the BITD Rules and regs for their 5/1600 class was similar, so I down loaded that, but... How similar are they?

Number Four: What is the best Type 1 Year to buy?

-------------------------------------------

I'mma turn this into my project build thing.

Last edited by MontanaBaja on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too aspire to race one of these days. But I can say this:

I don't think it matters what year you buy. Anything but a super beetle will do. In todays world of racecars you're going to have a pretty nice cage stuffed in there. You can use whatever type of front suspension in the front because it will tie into the cage. a 5/1600 car is basically a roll cage with a bug body on it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KrAzY-BaJa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best idea would be buy a complete car.
ForYotaWagen: A Ford/Toyota/Volkswagen http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4871576&highlight=#4871576
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome experience to say the least except I truly didn't appreciate it until the day after.... when I recovered a little bit Lol. It is addicting because for me I just kept coming back for more. I probably sacrificed too much in my personal life to achieve that thrill over and over but that's me.. it was an addiction. If you plan on Baja you might as well join Score and get the rule book from them as things can change every year and might not reflect all the same among the other Org. but they follow pretty close. If you plan on going 5/1600 which I would love to see that class come back, It would be much easier on the pocket book to buy one that was done right from the get go, but you really have to know what you are looking at before you buy, and being aware of the quality of parts and build you are buying. A website you can look at to get a good idea of what you are looking at and the effort and quality involved, is a team I really like just because of their dedication to the class and the effort. Mark and Trevor Anderson at www.gonzoracing.net. They are ready for this years Baja 1.2k and they stand a good chance as they are prior winners and have prepped their car well. A shameless Plug but I think they are a great team. Their website can give you some ideas on critical areas that fail because they have seen it and they prep for it. It will also show maybe the best choice for the pan because you can see how much will have to be modded to get it right to fit the Trans, rear suspension and the front end mods.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MontanaBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrAzY-BaJa: Thanks for the advice, though it would be cheaper and probably less time consuming and better odds at finishing. But I feel building it from scratch is all apart of the experience. plus I have two years to build, plan and test.

I'm a recently single male in his low twenties who has some extra cash from his job, I've got the burning to build a bug, and to finish the baja 1000, if I have to push it so be it... kidding. But seriously. I'll push.

When I'm back in the states, I plan on picking up a VW I've been eyeing for the last week or so, then I'm headed back home for a good month off work, which I plan on cleaning everything.

oldschool5er: I'm really excited to hear that from you. I can't wait to go check out the baja 1000, the website is amazing. Are those your bugs?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1615567

I've been eyeballing this thing for a while. But that would make a good 5/1600

Also most people who race have sponsors. Like decent sponsors. I make an okay amount but have a goal of 10 years to start. Good luck.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should hook up with a team and go to a couple races and see what it is all about. Not sure you realize how much just the car will cost. I wish you luck. start out with a 200 mile race before going to the superbowl (Baja 1000)

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

250, 500 then 1000

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
MontanaBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the team idea, doesn't seem like a bad Idea. And depending on when I can I might hit up the smaller ones.

So Ten years is your goal to hit the Baja 1k?

How long have you been building so far?
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the fuel bill for the baja 1000 will send some sreaming into the night. how much do you think a 5/1600 motor will run ya ?

It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the fuel bill for the baja 1000 will send some sreaming into the night. how much do you think a 5/1600 motor will run ya ?

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a well built 5/1600 motor can easily run you in the hole.

My mark is that long because I have no support and haven't started a build.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
QurtysLyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit up some local(ish) races before hand to get your feet wet.
BRAT Motorsports #936
MontanaBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a play thing: So here is what I've got for the fuel logistics.

It is roughly 1560 miles from Bozeman, MT ( I live near there ), to Baja California, Mexico. I'm going to bump the mileage up too 1700, encase of detours, being lost and other odds and ends. If the fuel isn't the lovely 2.70 per gallon in two year I'll be sad, but I'm planning for it to be around 3.15ish. Another thing to note is I'll be bringing four trucks down, three for hauling one for mechanical rescuing. They're Three quarter tons so I'm going to say at best they'll get 14 at worst 9-10, but I'm going to go with ten because of simplification. Thats about $535 per truck, one way. So add all of that together...its $2,140 dollars. Then I gotta come back...$4,280. So thats just for getting sleeping quarters, parts and the bug/truck down there.

The bug, stock and in good working order would be 25-30ish. So I'll cut it in half and say 15 miles per gallon. I want to use exclusively Sunoco, so I'll go for one of their more expensive racing fuels ( I'd like to run different octane levels through the engine before hand to see how the bug handles each one. )

So lets say the sunoco fuel is $10.30 per gallon, the Baja 1000 is between 1000, and 1100. I'll go with the bigger of the two. So that'll be 73.333 gallons I'll need to finish the race with out stops, and any sort of foul ups. Obviously that won't happen. So I'll triple that number in case of a worst case senario ( Ruptured fuel cell ) or I end up burning more fuel than anticipated also encase the course is truly longer. So 220 Gallons, and that'll come out to be $2266. Total cost of fuel? $6,546 And I planned all of that in like twenty minutes. Obviously I'll take more care when its time for the real trip.

There are some other things I need to do before then too also, I mean it would be silly not to do any research on any of this before making a commitment.

Brian: Its a sweet hobby and I'm pretty jealous of your cage. I'm currently over seas so I can't exactly pick anything up or build or buy anything yet. But when I get state side I'm going to do some scavaging. I think I found a nice little $600 dollar bug I want to snatch up.

Qurtyslyn: I would love too, but everything I want to race in is pretty far away. Though I'm trying to hit the 250, and the 500. I would like to get me some of those points I was reading about

I'm putting a list of things I have and don't have so that when it comes time to do the dirty I'm ready ( build )

What I have:
two 3/4 ton trucks
A goose neck trailer
A car trailer
Tools ( Fab and mechanic )
Miles of wire
A decent amount of metal for fab (Used to Run Demolition derbies)
A half team ( See above Parenthesis )

What I need
A VW Bug
Two more 3/4 tons
Camper ( Or a truck camper? )
Parts for said VW ( including all upgrades )
Score Rule book ( waiting till 1K is over so I can have it shipped )
A another part of a Team. ( Driver, Navigator and a couple more mechanics )
VW bugs for Dummies.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell I wish I had that cage.

What desert are you in?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
MontanaBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently stuck in the middle east. Enjoying some sun and long hours.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming military, in which case thank you for everything your doing and have done.
MontanaBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thank you for your appreciation!

Hopefully when I get back state side this bug will still be there and I'll snag it up along with a little car dolly. pick up two extra tires and make my 37 hour drive back home.
QurtysLyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come down to some BOR races in Utah some time next year if you can, a lot less of a drive than going down to Baja (we race in Wendover). I'm sure we can get you in on a Pit crew, and there is a 5-1600 that races with us that posts on here once and a while.

If we pull off the race in Jackpot again this year, that's even closer.
BRAT Motorsports #936
DSTMULE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's A BALLPARK PRICE FOR A MANX CAGE??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: