Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Someone to check a vehicle over in CA and nearby
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncletravelingjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Someone to check a vehicle over in CA and nearby Reply with quote

I am considering buying a vehicle from California and surrounding states.

I will be mostly looking at type 2 and karmann Ghia's so a knowledge of these vehicle and where they are prone to rust would be an advantage but not essential as I know the parts I want checked.

I am unable to inspect the vehicle myself so I am wanting to get I touch with mechanics / garage's who would visit and inspect vehicles for me.

Obviously I'd be paying you for your time.

If you can do this please get in touch with me and let me know how much you'd charge to inspect a vehicle for me and how far you're willing to travel and we'll take it from there.

Thanks

J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's in Phoenix, Arizona I can probably check it out, depending on the exact location.
(The Phoenix, AZ is huge so it could be 15 minutes away or it could be 90 minutes away)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toydude111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can handle So. Cal. Price varies by distance traveled.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to help you. Located near Fresno, CA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

down for SD to Barstow

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett - What about a sticky of qualified "inspectors"? I'd even be willing to use one locally that is more knowledgeable than I. (I have a thread up in this section asking for the same thing.) Seems like a great service to offer.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure who would decide they are qualified.

I have inspected a couple cars for people but I don't trust myself to catch everything possible. All I can do is go look and take a crapload of photos of anything I can think of, then talk to the person on the phone about what I saw or the seller said to me in person.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I have inspected a couple cars for people but I don't trust myself to catch everything possible. All I can do is go look and take a crapload of photos of anything I can think of, then talk to the person on the phone about what I saw or the seller said to me in person.

That's better than some uneducated idiot like me. Wink Maybe a list of known mechanics in the area that will do that service? I don't know. I found one guy in my area that does do it. But he's busy on the weekends alot.
Longrifle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, Randy Carlson of Oldbug.com does inspections for a fee and I'll bet he is qualified Smile

67’ sedan
66’ SO-42
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longrifle wrote:
IIRC, Randy Carlson of Oldbug.com does inspections for a fee and I'll bet he is qualified Smile

If he only returned emails. Smile He was my first msg out about this. I got a great guy from here named Taribi to go with me (bugguy1967). I highly recommend him! He saved my ass today. The car was a no go.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

One consideration is WHAT they will be checking for . . .
OP does not mention that the vehicle to be inspected is a worn-out car for a project or if it is a 100 point restoration or something in between.
When I look at a car, I am checking for what is damaged or deteriorated and how much work will need to be done to repair it . . . usually on cars that are intended as my projects, and sometimes partially or completely disassembled.
That's far different from looking over someone's pride-and-joy "restoration"!
How will I be able to tell if that lower quarter panel with the fresh paint on it is held on with pop-rivets and Bondo?
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy1967 did a great job for me this weekend. Found enough wrong with the car in the first 15 minutes. That we knew it wasn't right for what I was looking for.

I think you have to find someone that is comfortable with what you are looking for. And as equally comfortable as you are with them. It was a great value for me to have someone along with the knowledge I didn't have. And even if it had worked out. He would have given me plenty of ammunition to negotiate the price down. This guy in question was asking way to much for what he was not honest about in the first place. Was easy insurance to have a good VW mechanic/engine builder with me. To point out all the mechanical flaws that I did not understand.

This car had glaring flaws though. If your looking for a show car to be evaluated. I think there are probably nationally renowned car judges or the like that you could hire for that. But just to make sure a better than average or good car is what they say it is. It's invaluable to have someone knowledgeable on your side. And certainly better than taking a stab in the dark.
uncletravelingjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
EverettB wrote:

One consideration is WHAT they will be checking for . . .
OP does not mention that the vehicle to be inspected is a worn-out car for a project or if it is a 100 point restoration or something in between.
When I look at a car, I am checking for what is damaged or deteriorated and how much work will need to be done to repair it . . . usually on cars that are intended as my projects, and sometimes partially or completely disassembled.
That's far different from looking over someone's pride-and-joy "restoration"!
How will I be able to tell if that lower quarter panel with the fresh paint on it is held on with pop-rivets and Bondo?

hello,

I thought I'd revive this thread and answer this question, as it is a good point.

for me personally I am looking to buy a car that is in good road worthy condition.

i appreciate that the air cooled cars are getting on. the cars in my price range are not show winners but i would like to think I can see something worth buying but of course there's some things like checking end float, engine may look clean but if there play there, it could prove costly.

normally you can tell if a car has been filled by tapping and listening to the change of sounds as you go along the panels , checking with a magnet or looking at the other side of a panel to see if there's damage or how bad the damage is.

the big problem I have is rust, and it is what I really am looking to avoid.

I am looking for good solid OG cars.

Brian
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:45 pm Post subject:
down for SD to Barstow

do you mean san Diego to barstow ?

thats a big area !

is there anybody up near south san fransisco that could help out ?

Thanks

J
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: