Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Florida Owners
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rekker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Florida Owners Reply with quote

Tried to do some searching of the forums but didn't see any lists if there are any.

Any vanagon owners in or around Hillsborough or Pasco county? Finally have some time to myself and looking to learn a thing or two about working on vanagons. If you're working on something and need an extra pair of hands or some company I'd be willing to help/ hang out and swap stories. I'm no mechanic by any means but eager to learn.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Clearwater, my parents have a place in Brooksville. I drive 1990 Carat and I also own a 1990 Doka, and some older air cooled stuff of course. I rarely see any Vanagons in Pinellas county, but lately a few have been buzzing around. It would be cool to have a regular get together for sure. I have a shop in Clearwater where I work on my own vans. The old days when I drove a Split Window Bus we had weekly taco Tuesdays and always had the shop full of hooligans.
Tony
Call any time
727-443-4563
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citrus County area, have a pack of diesel vanagon variants!
about an hour north of Tampa and always looking to meet up and learn
from other owners. (I've had to learn trial by fire here in Florida!) Embarassed
PM me if you want to meet up.
Jeff
ryecatcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearwater/Dunedin area here...you can find me at the Honeymoon island Causeway more often than not Wink
Rekker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
I am in Clearwater, my parents have a place in Brooksville. I drive 1990 Carat and I also own a 1990 Doka, and some older air cooled stuff of course. I rarely see any Vanagons in Pinellas county, but lately a few have been buzzing around. It would be cool to have a regular get together for sure. I have a shop in Clearwater where I work on my own vans. The old days when I drove a Split Window Bus we had weekly taco Tuesdays and always had the shop full of hooligans.
Tony
Call any time
727-443-4563

A regular get together would be awesome, most of the VW Scene around here is older buses. My '87 Vanagon had been running rough lately and decided to lose power at the pedal on me the other day. Been trying to troubleshoot it for a week. While everyone on Samba is helpful to a degree, just having someone local to bounce ideas off or get another pair of eyes is invaluable to me. I had a '67 Camaro about 15 yrs ago I did a fair job maintaining, but this van is a different beast all together.

Rick
813-384-8291

Call or text anytime
Rekker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weisswurst wrote:
Citrus County area, have a pack of diesel vanagon variants!
about an hour north of Tampa and always looking to meet up and learn
from other owners. (I've had to learn trial by fire here in Florida!) Embarassed
PM me if you want to meet up.
Jeff

I know even less about diesels than water cooled, but I'd be willing to help out Very Happy

I'm in Zephyrhills and parents are in Wesley Chapel, not too far from Citrus. Do you drive the whole "pack" or are they projects? I hear ya about trial by fire, I'm more error less trial Embarassed
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in south Pasco in the Odessa area. I have a late bay, but I have added a radiator to it if that helps Laughing

I would be up for some wrenching sessions/weekend camping, get togethers etc.

I run a large facebook group dedicated to all years VW's in this area. The group is called Local Volks. Feel free to join. We have more than a few vanagon owners in the group.

I'll be at Bug Jam in a Local Volks shirt, hopefully in our 78 sage green westy.

We should all arrange to meet somewhere at Bug Jam so we can swap contact info and see what happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
I know even less about diesels than water cooled, but I'd be willing to help out Very Happy

I'm in Zephyrhills and parents are in Wesley Chapel, not too far from Citrus. Do you drive the whole "pack" or are they projects? I hear ya about trial by fire, I'm more error less trial Embarassed[/quote]

I drive the whole pack switching around the days to run errands, take the boy to school or just about anything I can make up to get behind the wheel! Cool
They are a slow bunch I tells ya, but driving them that way helps me relax and
it's a kind of therapy for me.
I'm also not to technical but, have Bentley will travel, right?
I'm game to host a get together on my property now the cool weather is almost here!
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fellas are the perfect people to ask this question. In March I will be visiting Florida and we will
be renting two buses in the Tampa area and then drive them to Key West. Any suggestions where to stop
along the way, site seeing and camping? I don't want to hijack this thread, so would appreciate any info
you could send in a PM. Thanks in advance! Tim
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fellas are the perfect people to ask this question. In March I will be visiting Florida and we will
be renting two buses in the Tampa area and then drive them to Key West. Any suggestions where to stop
along the way, site seeing and camping? I don't want to hijack this thread, so would appreciate any info
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
vela123321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

I just saw this on a travel channel or food network program... It looked interesting... I like the history.

http://thehuntmagazine.com/traveler/2013/02/stepping-back-in-time-in-everglades-city/

1987 Westfalia Vanagon 2.1 automatic
2014 VW TDi Jetta Sportwagen (Dieselgate)
2016 BMW 328i

1967 Bug... given to a friend
others not VW... Toyota, Audi, Volvo, Datsun, International Harvester
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vela123321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

I just saw this on a travel channel or food network program... It looked interesting... I like the history.

http://thehuntmagazine.com/traveler/2013/02/stepping-back-in-time-in-everglades-city/

1987 Westfalia Vanagon 2.1 automatic
2014 VW TDi Jetta Sportwagen (Dieselgate)
2016 BMW 328i

1967 Bug... given to a friend
others not VW... Toyota, Audi, Volvo, Datsun, International Harvester
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

Depends on which side of the coast your on!
Ocala National Forest is worth a stop if you have time and a way to cut across the state.
Check the NASA websites to see if they are launching any rockets when your near there-always worth the time!
The space museum what ever it's name is (I'm not sure what it's name is!)
Obvious Disneyland experience.
Airboat rides in the Everglades $45.00 per person are a good deal. Out of Fort Lauderdale.
There is a place where you can swim with the dolphins as you go down the keys.
If your going down the keys make sure your vehicle is running well as there is only one way out of there and if you break down it's going to cost you!
If I have time I'll see if I can find out some more info.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

I would book at least one night at Fort Desoto Park. It's at the south end of Pinellas county, so right next to Tampa. Consistently rated one of the top beaches in the nation. There is a small fort you can look at, but being able to camp RIGHT ON THE GULF in clear blue water is the major draw. Book as soon as you can, it fills up quick!

Further south, any of the barrier islands are nice, and not very far from I-75 (the most direct way between Tampa and the keys).

Also, do a tour of the everglades, preferably via air boat. It's totally different than anything else in this country. I-75 through the everglades is called Alligator Alley, and it's very appropriately named. Drive through there during the day, and you'll spot well over 100 gators on the sides of the highway (luckily, on the other side of the fence).

Depending on when in March you are here, you can attend the Lakeland VW classic. It's usually 150ish cars, but free to camp for the night (in a parking lot with no hook ups, but it's a great vibe).
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic. I have a major project going on, but am too far south that could use some hands. Anyhow, there is a website called [url]fullmoonbusclub.com[/url] The last few years we have been going to a GTG on the Suwanee river at a place called Convict Springs. It is scheduled for the last weekend in January. I'd say an equal number of Vanagons and Busses show up. If your van is running come and meet some friendly VW folks.

As far as going to the keys in a camper. We prefer the mom and pop motels peppered along HWY 1 to the idea of camping. If you insist though, there are some non commercial campgrounds in the Keys. Penekamp in Key Largo, Long Key state park, and Bahia Honda state park.

If you are ex-military, I understand there is a campground in Key West for veterans. Otherwise, there are commercial campgrounds all along the way.

Don't leave your food out. It won't be bears, but raccoons. They have mastered opening anything.
Rekker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Back on topic. I have a major project going on, but am too far south that could use some hands. Anyhow, there is a website called [url]fullmoonbusclub.com[/url] The last few years we have been going to a GTG on the Suwanee river at a place called Convict Springs. It is scheduled for the last weekend in January. I'd say an equal number of Vanagons and Busses show up. If your van is running come and meet some friendly VW folks.

As far as going to the keys in a camper. We prefer the mom and pop motels peppered along HWY 1 to the idea of camping. If you insist though, there are some non commercial campgrounds in the Keys. Penekamp in Key Largo, Long Key state park, and Bahia Honda state park.

If you are ex-military, I understand there is a campground in Key West for veterans. Otherwise, there are commercial campgrounds all along the way.

Don't leave your food out. It won't be bears, but raccoons. They have mastered opening anything.

Where are you located? I don't mind making a trip to help out if I can plan for it. I've got 5 kids so spontaneity is not in my play book Laughing if I can't figure out what's going on with my van I think I'm going to try what used to be Sunray Bugs in Dade City, if I can figure it out I don't need an excuse to tool around in it. What are you working on? If I recall correctly you gave me some help a while back with adjusting my shift rod and replacing the guide ears that had broken off. If I can return the favor and learn something in the process I will.
Rekker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

If you're starting out in Tampa, Bush Gardens is fun. We have passes and go several times a month. I'm a roller coaster nut and they have some awesome rides. There's a lot of other things to see or do if you're not into rides though. If you decide to go msg me and I'll use my passes to get you discounted tickets.

I second Ocala National Forrest, great nature walks for sight seeing and camping. There are numerous springs you can swim in, you're from Maine so I'm assuming that a little cool water won't bother you Very Happy Cape Canavarel is also a good idea for the space museum.

Butterfly World in Ft. Lauderdale is a nice botanical garden.http://www.bonnethouse.org/history/ The Bonnett House is beautiful too.
weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

Tim, I would like to suggest the Citrus County area for your beginning or your end when you turn in the vans in Tampa.
Thanksgiving to the first weekend in March is our Manatee season here in Homosassa Springs and Crystal River (our 2 underground spring heads that form a river and empty into the Gulf of Mexico. These 2 cities are the last place that you can legally swim with a booked tour or own your own (my preference) in the wild with Manatees. I try not use use the word "Magical" much but man on man it's a life changing experience to swim with these prehistoric gentle giants and your kids will LOVE it.
I can lend a hand and help with the details if you like. Here is a pic of a swim we did for you to check it out but it's all just a google search away for you to explore first and be sure to check out the Homosassa Springs Wildlife Park and Three Sisters Springs in Crystal River that is hands down one of the best unmolested spring that has 2 blue holes and is only 4 feet deep in most areas too.
Enjoy it and hope to meet you on your trip!
jeff
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here is one chewing on my anchor rope with his one big tooth!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

all photos taken with a underwater disposable Walgreens camera too!
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
Tony
Call any time
727-443-4563

Your not driving that 1990 into New Port Richey are you? Around the Trinity area?
LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LP
Every Thursday I am in Trinity and New Port Richey for Work. So, yep I am there every week. Have you seen me driving?
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: