Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

convert my Thing from left to right hand drive...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninosvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: convert my Thing from left to right hand drive... Reply with quote

I want to convert my Thing from left to right hand drive. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I need steering box or i can change only the pitman arm...???
1.A complete dash.
2.Speedometer cable
3.Master cylinder
4.Pedal assembly
5. ??????????
Thanks
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this years ago with an MG Midget. I put the steering rack and pinion in upside down and made a gearbox to reverse the direction of the steering shaft. Pedals were easier, there was some provision for it, the car being from a right hand drive country. Made my own dash out of mahogany plywood. Offhand it strikes me the thing would be easier, I would probably try to fab up a mount for the existing steering box on the other side and reverse the tie rods, and try to source a used pedal set from a right hand drive country, beetle or whatever. Make a mount for the steering damper. Cut open the tunnel and move the cable tubes. Longer speedometer cable. Damn, now you've got me thinking about it Smile

I have to wonder if it would make much practical difference if you just used the existing pitman arm, I don't remember it having much offset (I'm not home where I can look). I don't know but since these don't use a center link it seems to me there's probably some error in it while turning anyway. (I'm prepared to be totally wrong)
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a lowered Thing that was converted to RHD here a few years ago. I'm not sure there was a build thread. I want to say it was built in the Bay Area and then sold to a guy in Florida.

Edit: Found a picture
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had a friend in the Cal Look Bug days of the 80's who went RHD with his Bug. I think he bought a pedal assembly, cut a hole in the tunnel and fabbed a mounting location for the pedals. Relocate the master to the right side, cutting into the bulkhead and fabbing a mount. New brake lines up front and the main line to the rear. I believe they moved the steering box and flipped the pitman arm? And of course moving the steering assembly. Probably 30 years ago, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

Maybe a search in the Type 1 section will help. Wink
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: convert my Thing from left to right hand drive... Reply with quote

ninosvw wrote:
I want to convert my Thing from left to right hand drive. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I need steering box or i can change only the pitman arm...???
1.A complete dash.
2.Speedometer cable
3.Master cylinder
4.Pedal assembly
5. ??????????
Thanks

Hello
You just need to change the pitman arm .
If you need one and pedal assembly PM me Cool
tkelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post...Oops

Last edited by tkelley on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
tkelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned the RHD thing pictured above a good friend owns it now. It had a left hand drive pitman arm with a shortened driver's side tie rod and lengthened passenger side tie rod. Also the master cylinder was rotated 90 degrees in order to fit on the right side. It did have a rhd drive pedal assembly.
I didn't do the conversion, but if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Btw: This car lives down the street from me in Greenville, SC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: