Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stripped exhaust stud - options?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Stripped exhaust stud - options? Reply with quote

I was driving my VW to work this morning and heard exhaust leak, so I pulled over and noticed the gasket had blown out. I had a couple spare gaskets at home so I thought no problem, pull the exhaust, replace the gaskets and I'm good to go. Unfortunately, one of the nuts was turning and not getting tight. I pulled the exhaust back off and it's apparent one of the studs is stripped about half way down. Can I dremel a slot into the stud, remove it with a screwdriver and replace the stud? Or do I have to use a time sert on the existing stud? Can I leave the head in place, or do I need to remove it from the engine? Would appreciate some feedback Smile

Thanks!
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing a stripped or broken stud is a pain. Sometimes it is easy & sometimes....not. A dremel may work for you. I would try to warm it up a bit & work it out with a pair of vice grips.
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get two nuts on it before doing the slotting with the dremmel, then i'd try that first. I'd even try welding a nut onto the stud before slotting it.
68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "weld a nut on" system works well, the heat warms it up enough to turn it out pretty easy after it's cooled a bit.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with welding a nut to the top of it. That is a great method of removing studs. Maybe a bit of PB blaster to soak on it before welding
JesusGreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just run a die over the stud and recreate new threads and use two nuts, no welding or removing of the stud
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers, guys. The stud came out pretty easily once I tightened the two nuts together and backed out the inner nut. Fortunately none of the threads in the head were damaged. I had an extra stud lying around so I was able to swap it out without making a run to the parts store. But now I know for next time what my options are.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: