Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beginner buggy build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow it has been a while. life strikes again in more ways than one. just jumped into the housing market which was unexpected but exciting. Also had a little scare with my young daughter who fell very ill. many doctors visits later she is well and back to mischief but we are not in the clear yet, much more ahead. the buggy has seen a few hrs but not enough to stay on schedule. I was able to get brake lines run but had to pull the front trailing arms off again. noticed the bushings which I thought were in good shape had some cracking which I was not good with so I got some new ones and when I saw the new ones I found that the old one were much worse with a side by side comparison. also got the pedal cluster done which was a lot more work than I anticipated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got a fair amount of engine work done. I got the new clutch and flywheel in and the endplay set. not a terrible job to do but the learning curve ate some time to get the shims just right then I realized after the got the gland nut torqued that I didn't put the O-ring in Brick wall I was then able to get the engine mounted and went to work on the new alternator kit. I found another short cut taken but the PO. the plates that mount the alternator to the fan shroud was missing two of the pieces and the generator was not secured to the shroud so the shroud and fan were mounted independent of each other causing intermittent rubbing between the two. anyways its now properly mounted and I got a new degree wheel on the crank shaft. while the fan shroud was off I did a lot of cleaning under there and got all the bugs, dirt and nut and bolts hurled from the fan onto the cylinders.
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:
i may have missed it
but i was wondering where you got your main hoop for your roll bar. what are the specs on it if i you dont mind

my main hoop came with the car originally I just modified it to mount seat belts and the rear cage. the main hoop is just a standard one that you can still buy from any distributor.
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1600buggy wrote:
Amazing work!! I too am a beginner with a stick welder. old crapsman. i was wondering what rod and amperage you use generally. we'll say for the installation of the floor pans. thanks

thanks for the compliments. as far as welding I used Lincoln 6011 3/32" electrodes for just about everything. I found it so easy to use that I never use anything else anymore. as for amperage I would probably not be helpful as I doubt the markings on my welder are accurate. one thing I will say is I spent a lot of time with trial and error to get my beads just right. you may already know but a few things you can look for is your arc should be easy to strike and not stick a lot or your amps may be low. if your welds look burned or a blackened color then its too hot. you need to look at depth as well. if your bead looks like its sitting on top of the metal then its not hot enough but if your burning away a lot of metal then its too hot but a lot of that can be controlled by your speed too. weld a lot and fine tune to your welder. here is a decent guide to a good bead

dbsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spot welded the pan in. Popped holes about 1.5 apart. Came out solid

Your build is coming along nicely. Life always seems to get in the the way. But keep at it.

David

#127 Manxter - 99.5% done....
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well we found a new house so the buggy got packed up with all its loose parts fortunately at this point the buggy is at least as useful as a trailer. kind of Clampetts style but two good things came of this move. I got to see what it looks like put together and it made it all the way there without a break down! seriously though it was actually very smooth on the road and tracked very well.

here it is in its new home. nice upgrade the new garage is 4ft deeper and 4 ft wider. the problem is with a new house comes a new yard so I have a new summer project and no buggy to drive. oh well. I guess with a little patience I will eventually have a nice ride. as I have said before. life happens.

one thing I will say is this project will not go by the wayside. this car is not going to be doomed to the list of incomplete projects in my garage.
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done some amazing work! I am inspired to try and do my own build one day. I took the easy route, and had one built. I know there is a ton of pride with doing your own work, and one day, when life allows, I will do my own ground up build. I'm just too impatient (and too scared to jump in feet first) to have done that with mine.

Next one will be all me.

Great work, and glad to see you charging along, even with life's issues hitting you full force. I hope all goes well with your daughter, and look forward to reading/seeing your future posts.
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house looks great! Think of how good your buggy will look parked in your awesome yard! Smile

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
impaleale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea! Burn the new house down to collect insurance money to finish the buggy! Why didn't I think of that?
Steve A W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Look how clean that garage is ! Laughing
I've been following Your thread, Your doing a great job.
Good Luck with the new house.
Moving is a bummer, I'm in the middle of that now.
Keep up the good work.

Steve A W

delux68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read, any updates?
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delux68 wrote:
Good read, any updates?

As a matter of fact I do have an update. this summer I had to do landscaping on our new house and 2 weeks ago we had our 3rd child so it has been Crazy busy but with the beginning of winter for some reason affords me time to work on the buggy project.

As I have mentioned in the past many times over the previous owner botched the fiberglass repair. the holes for the headlights and the cutouts for the taillights were both fixed the same way. A single layer of FG was layed down on the paint instead of mating it with fresh fiberglass then the hole was smoothed over with Bondo. This eventually mad a nice outline in the paint job so you could see where the old tail light was

I began the itchy project of fiberglass work. I made one colossal mistake and that was wearing a short sleeve shirt.

so the molded space for the headlight mount was filled in with bondo as i mention before and the fiberglass around it was in bad shape but the basic shape was good so with no experience the method i came up with was to sand around the area so i could get a layer of FG in a large area and when it hardened I flipped it over and with a die grinder from the bottom I ground out all the bondo and bad fiberglass leaving only my new layer of FG on top them from the bottom I added 4 layers of FG to build it back up and thus maintaining my headlight mounts.

im sure this is not a technique that I cleverly came up with but this may help another Jr. buggy builder in the future.

I spent about $50 on FG supplies and spent about 6 hrs and got about half of the repairs done on the body.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it will be a good repair.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammocan, you have some mad fab skills, I hope mine turns out half as good as yours.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how high is it to the top of your seat mounts now? i seen that you half about a 1/2"difference front to back but how high are they?
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:
how high is it to the top of your seat mounts now? i seen that you half about a 1/2"difference front to back but how high are they?

the front is 1 1/2" tall and the back is 1" this is the angle that felt good to me but I would suggest doing a garage test for yourself on the angle. The angle will also change based on the seat you are using and the length of your seat mounts.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ammocan wrote:
cdnltded wrote:

the front is 1 1/2" tall and the back is 1" this is the angle that felt good to me but I would suggest doing a garage test for yourself on the angle. The angle will also change based on the seat you are using and the length of your seat mounts.

thanks
i am using razr seats as well i will try the 1 1/2 and 1
thanks again
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 hrs of work and got more repairs done. I discovered a front end collision that was not repaired correctly and got the hood and dash nearly repaired. Probably have 2 more days of this damn itch fest. I seriously had to work up some motivation to go outside today.
I burned through the first can of resin really fast and I wasted a ton because the resin would start to set before I could use it all. Today I cracked open a new can of resin and I marked 2oz on several cups and only mixed 2oz at time and I was able to always use everything I mixed. I also realized that the resin goes much further than you think. With this method I will literally get 4 times as many repairs out of a can of resin

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:
ammocan wrote:
cdnltded wrote:

thanks
thanks again

i am finally getting back on my buggy. and was looking at my rzr seats tonight and was having a hard time visioning the mount for them. i know you have done yours do you think you could get a picture that shows how and where you mounted yours?
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:
cdnltded wrote:
ammocan wrote:
cdnltded wrote:

thanks
thanks again

i am finally getting back on my buggy. and was looking at my rzr seats tonight and was having a hard time visioning the mount for them. i know you have done yours do you think you could get a picture that shows how and where you mounted yours?

These are similar universal seat tracks I used and bolted to the bottom of the seats and below that is a picture of the mounts I welded to my floor pan. Really pretty simple but it was also difficult for me to figure out how I was going to do it till I got the adjustable tracks bolted to the seat and after that it seemed pretty obvious.
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Beginner buggy build Reply with quote

Here are also some slider seat mounts I have used a couple times and had good luck with. Like the way ammocan incorporated the mounts on the pans.

www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Seat-Sliders,7103.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: