Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stripped headlight screw :(
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Stripped headlight screw :( Reply with quote

One of the headlight screws is stripped (see pic.)

Is there a way to get it out without breaking the plastic piece in the back?

Here is the cleaning procedure I plan to do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOWX2yxaKSk

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by tjet on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure that isn't one of the non-adjustable ones?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just a positioning mount - not a headlight aduster. Those adjusters and the entire mounting system can be a pain. Easily replaced with $20 worth of big box hardware and there's a great thread on it. You'll have full adjustability for ever, and clean lights.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - don't remove the headlights from the metal frame. Just take the entire frame out and clean them two at a time and don't mess with old ajusters and fragile plastic mounts. 4 screws and you'll have two headlights in the sink.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks. Will leave em in the frames
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
PS - don't remove the headlights from the metal frame. Just take the entire frame out and clean them two at a time and don't mess with old ajusters and fragile plastic mounts. 4 screws and you'll have two headlights in the sink.

While sound advice, don't be surprised if some adjusters break anyway.

The screw threads get rusty, the White Plastic becomes frighteningly brittle....... thus breakage will happen.

When I removed mine, most of them already were broken or broke at that time.

I felt that $85 for new ones was crazy!

I made my own using simple off the shelf nylon and stainless hardware.

Scroll down......
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=532045&start=220

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to help keep the plastic from getting UV damaged, I slip some heat shrink tube over the ends and shrink it over the ends that will be exposed to sunlight thru the grill. I general leave them be, easy to have them shatter if you try to remove them. replacements are pricey. If I need to turn the adjusters, I give the threads a squirt of silicone lube to ease the screwing process.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not striped and non adjustable as mentioned.

All of the posts can be removed from the metal holder if they are not brittle.
Look at the tabs, push them in and spin the plastic base, done deal, twist to reinsert.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the go westy procedure using mild dishwashing liquid (instead of degreaser), followed by watered down Windex & a thorough rinse. I left them in the buckets as doug suggested. I tried to move the plastic adjusters, but they weren't going to budge. I didnt use a brush, just swished the hot water around. I did a final rinse using warm distilled water because the tap water at my house has lots of minerals. I shook most of the water out & placed them in the oven at 190* (once it got to 190, I turned it off & let them stay in there for a couple of hours). Anyway - they came out looking new. They were cloudy / hazy before I did this.

I also ordered a pair of clear lexan covers - see link below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wam-72-90277

& thx for the tips. Will lube up the screw threads before I put the headlights back in...

Also found a good deal for German bulbs...
H4 Low beams

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Genuine-Philips-Bulb-...mp;vxp=mtr

H3 Hi Beams

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301108565605?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There's also a very small bulb on the side of the low beams (on outboard side of the reflector). I have a p/n, but I'm not finding it on line. It's T4W37R
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look great! A job well done!

I really need to do this as well.........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste your time with those plastic adjuster. Put all the pieces
back in place, broken out not, and use an epoxy glue, to glue them in
place. By now they are all brittle and a heavy wind will break them.
I go over them all, with glue, even if they are in good shape.

The South African grill is an absolute piece of junk. Don't waste your
money on this ether. If you want round head light buy an early model
grill and headlights. A nice upgrade to this grill is the H4 Z beams.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people really like the South African Grill, but it is not nearly as sturdy as the OEM grill found on the 1980-1985 Vanagon. I have installed several of the SA Grill's for friends and they have all really loved the results. So far they have held up pretty well, but it is important to use a delicate touch when installing or removing them since the plastic is considerably thinner than the stock 80-85 grill.

The Cibie Z Beam H4's that 1vw4x4 mentions are definitely a great headlight setup, but they were discontinued years ago. I occasionally keep an eye out for them on eBay, but they have been selling for $200.00-$300.00 a set for NOS condition lately.

The best deal on Cibie 7" round H4 e-Code lenses I have found is from amazon.com http://smile.amazon.com/Cibie-082440-Light-Unit/dp...=cibie+h4. I am running these on my '85 Westy with Osram Hyper 85/80W H4 bulbs and am more than pleased with the results.

These lenses would be a great choice if you do decide to install the SA Grill down the road.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SA grill is not a piece of junk. I have the SA grill on 3 of my vans and I haven't been able to break them or damage them in any way- the oldest being a decade old.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:
The Cibie Z Beam H4's that 1vw4x4 mentions are definitely a great headlight setup, but they were discontinued years ago. I occasionally keep an eye out for them on eBay, but they have been selling for $200.00-$300.00 a set for NOS condition lately.

Thanks (and to 1vw4x4) on the better light assembiles if I install the round lights w/early grille
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with syncrodoka completely, the South African Grill is far from a piece of junk! I would install on one my van without a moment's hesitation.

There is no other readily available solution that will produce better lighting for the front of the Vanagon. With quality 7" outer lenses, good bulbs and proper headlight aiming, stock wattage will produce more than acceptable performance for most people's needs.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1vw4x4 wrote:
A nice upgrade to this grill is the H4 Z beams.

Mine have H4 on the lens. Is that good, or is that how all the retangular ones are?
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rectangular H4's from the European market are about a million times better than the DOT lenses with 9004 bulbs we got in the US, which is why the H4's typically command such a high price in the resale market.

With that said, I still prefer the look and performance of a high quality 7" round headlamp. The Cibie e-Code lens with Osram Hyper 85/80W H4 is the best combination that I have found for the Vanagon in any form of stock headlight configuration.

Most Hella e-Code lights tend to have an unusually wide differential between the low beam and high beam settings. For instance, if you properly aim the headlights on low beam, your beam focus will be up in the trees on high beam. In my experience, the Cibie's tend to have a more constrained focus that creates a very usable beam on both settings.

I am not sure to what degree this is the case for the OEM Vanagon H4 rectangular lights, since I have never personally aimed a set via the common method shown here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SA grill is flimsy and feels like a piece of junk. Mine has lasted several years and who knows how much longer it will last. I agree it is not really junk.

The SA kit is way overpriced and ripe for some 3D printing competition. OTOH, you will not want to wait, so buy it. Or if you have no money but like to waste time on projects, find an '85 or earlier round grill and cut new holes in it as per some threads you can locate here.

I think the real problem with the square stock headlights is the reflector design, and good bulbs (with relays) will merely mitigate the issue somewhat. Round is the way to go.

Toss the square stock headlights in the dumpster as they cannot be recycled -- or give them to an enemy you wish to chastise. Twisted Evil
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The choice of the 9004 bulb, with its transverse filaments, combined with what most people deem to be a less than stellar reflector design for the USDOT lenses both contribute heavily to unsatisfactory lighting results.

Since the OP has the much sought after Euro H4 version of the rectangular lenses, he is way better off than folks with the USDOT version. A large portion of the cost of the SA Grill kit could likely come from selling the Euro lenses to someone strongly attached to the aesthetic of the rectangular lenses.

The idea of a 3D printed grill does seem very appealing, but the cost of a printer large enough to print something the size of the grill would be incredibly expensive. The up front expense of equipment and the routine maintenance to keep it operating properly must be factored into the cost of the parts it produces, even on a contract manufacturing basis.

Long term durability of 3D printed parts constantly exposed to the elements is something worth considering as well.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replys. Anybody have a good part # for the small bulbs that go into the side of these H4 low beams? I believe it's called a "city" light.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: