Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recommended fuel sender for 70 bus? Vendor/brand?**Update**
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volktales wrote:
Just received fuel gauge sender from CIP. Their ad clearly shows a VDO sender and the implication that it is equal to original quality. What arrived was that generic white box China? crap. When questioned CIP states that the no name is all that is available now. I tried to disassemble the intermittent working original sender, but the tube portion is refusing to release itself from the top casting. Any ideas? I would much rather have an original part repaired then more garbage. Have been burned by CIP's misleading ads WAY too many times, now...

That sucks, don't waste your time on the new one.

If the nut is off the bottom there isn't much holding the tube on aside from about 1/8" slip fit up into the cap. If you can't clamp the top in a vise you might try screwing it to the tank upside down to hold it while you grab the tube and wiggle it side to side or round and round as you pull it off. Just be cautious that when it does come loose it has to come straight off so it doesn't damage the hair wires.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks busdaddy. I will give it another go and hope it works. Would be much happier with original parts...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempt two on the fuel sender tonight. The tube portion of the sender came apart easily once bolted upside down to the tank per busdaddy's suggestion. I also drilled the hole in the top as others have done and soldered an extra ground wire directly to the copper disc. It worked just fine and dandy. Mine was easier to access as the sender I was fixing was installed in a Type III. Won't be as much fun in my '72 bus however...

Given the crap quality of the repro senders, I would recommend anyone to at least try to repair your original. You will be glad you did...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I got my bus, the fuel level sender was not working so I got one from my local FLAPS. It was a generic unit in a plain box. It never red correctly but at least (until it failed) read something.

After about a year it stopped working. I got a replacement (same generic unit) and tried this one. Same lousy results.

After another year (about 3 weeks ago) it went bad. Tried a different FLAPS who had the VDO units made in Czechoslovakia. I installed it and immediately noticed better readings and much more accurate over the volume of the tank. We will see how this one lasts.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HarryFD wrote:
when I got my bus, the fuel level sender was not working so I got one from my local FLAPS. It was a generic unit in a plain box. It never red correctly but at least (until it failed) read something.

After about a year it stopped working. I got a replacement (same generic unit) and tried this one. Same lousy results.

After another year (about 3 weeks ago) it went bad. Tried a different FLAPS who had the VDO units made in Czechoslovakia. I installed it and immediately noticed better readings and much more accurate over the volume of the tank. We will see how this one lasts.

What year bus are you referring to? Which flaps had that in stock?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
HarryFD wrote:

Hi Bill:

As noted in my Signature line, I have a 1970.

Here in Portland, Oregon, I got the VDO unit from Discount Import Parts.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HarryFD wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
HarryFD wrote:

Hi Bill:

As noted in my Signature line, I have a 1970.

Here in Portland, Oregon, I got the VDO unit from Discount Import Parts.

Interesting in that the fuel sender was made in Europe vs. Brazil. The one I bought was a VDO from Brazil from Bus Depot. It looked like a nice part though my gauge is reading a quarter tank lower than it is. I'm not sure if it's the sender (it checked out fine when I checked it outside of the tank) or the gauge.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

real VDO or repop? It says VDO in the photo.

http://www.kieftenklok.nl/shop/index.php/en/t2-196...-73-detail
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the poor pictures.

Old dead generic sender:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New VDO Sender

SGKent, I looked at the link you posted. I noted that unit is Brazilian and includes a red gasket. My new unit did not come with a gasket.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended fuel sender for 70 bus? Vendor/brand?**Update** Reply with quote

Does anybody have one of these out and nearby that they could measure the length of? I'm working on a possible substitute part in the mean time, and I want to get the length correct… I have 8", 8.5", and 9" models ready.

Thanks in advance!
SunkenFloatRobbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended fuel sender for 70 bus? Vendor/brand?**Update** Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Does anybody have one of these out and nearby that they could measure the length of? I'm working on a possible substitute part in the mean time, and I want to get the length correct… I have 8", 8.5", and 9" models ready.

Thanks in advance!
SunkenFloatRobbie

first page broski

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
it should be 8 1/4 measured from the factory seal to the end of the tube

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended fuel sender for 70 bus? Vendor/brand?**Update** Reply with quote

first page broski

Reminds me off

"I am an FBI agent!"

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended fuel sender for 70 bus? Vendor/brand?**Update** Reply with quote

Laughing

Robbie's kool....asked him if he wanted to cut the access hole for his sender while he was here, but his rear mat was pretty well glued down. guess the lack of a fuel gauge finally pushed him over the edge

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended fuel sender for 70 bus? Vendor/brand?**Update** Reply with quote

Laughing

Robbie's kool....asked him if he wanted to cut the access hole for his sender while he was here, but his rear mat was pretty well glued down. guess the lack of a fuel gauge finally pushed him over the edge

Wait, he drove all over the country without a working gas gauge? Wow, I'm way too lazy to want to do that math all the time! Laughing

I'm two years now with the VDO Brazilian made sender. No issues at all with it. From this thread and what others have said, you either buy the VDO brand or suffer CONSTANT failures from the Chinese made POS's that most vendors pawn off.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended fuel sender for 70 bus? Vendor/brand?**Update** Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Laughing

Wait, he drove all over the country without a working gas gauge? Wow, I'm way too lazy to want to do that math all the time! Laughing

I'm two years now with the VDO Brazilian made sender. No issues at all with it. From this thread and what others have said, you either buy the VDO brand or suffer CONSTANT failures from the Chinese made POS's that most vendors pawn off.

Yeah, my rear carpet is beaaauuuuutiful and beautifully glued to the floor……… So I don't want to cut a hole YET. But I figure I'll be removing the engine to clean the compartment and polish all the tin once I hit California, so I might as well have a good sender ready to go.

$59 for a VDO-brand sender:
7.9" long
0 ohms full, 90 ohms empty
Neoprene gasket included.

I'll do the testing to make sure it all works (and is actually VDO brand) before I spill the beans.

"When you strike platinum you don't yell 'Eureka!'"
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended fuel sender for 70 bus? Vendor/brand?**Update** Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
$59 for a VDO-brand sender:
7.9" long
0 ohms full, 90 ohms empty
Neoprene gasket included.

Sounds rather stubby, sure that's the right one?

My reworked OG one is still going strong Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended fuel sender for 70 bus? Vendor/brand?**Update** Reply with quote

Stubby, yes, but apparently the OG tubes are 8.25"? That's close enough for me. I just drove a continent at 200-mile fillip intervals. Embarassed

And my OG sender is in somebody else's bus right now; last year when my generic replacement still worked, I sold it for $5 to some poor sap because he asked....

Robbie
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended fuel sender for 70 bus? Vendor/brand?**Update** Reply with quote

If it's too shorts I keep seeing advertisements on the internet to extend your rod, maybe that's what they're talking about?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended fuel sender for 70 bus? Vendor/brand?**Update** Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Stubby, yes, but apparently the OG tubes are 8.25"? That's close enough for me. I just drove a continent at 200-mile fillip intervals. Embarassed

And my OG sender is in somebody else's bus right now; last year when my generic replacement still worked, I sold it for $5 to some poor sap because he asked....

Robbie

My suggestion... crack your un-employed, I'm wandering the country wallet and buy the VDO brand sender. The latest VDO senders appear to be made in Europe again. I didn't want to cut an access hole in my bus so I bought the VDO and don't expect to have any issues for years to come. We will see..

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended fuel sender for 70 bus? Vendor/brand?**Update** Reply with quote

Folks, we have here a near exact replacement for the stock sender, made by VDO. 90 ohms empty and 0 ohms full, means your gauge should be accurate. It is less than a half inch shorter than the stock sender that Skills measured. We can't all have our tubes as long as him apparently……… $70 here:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vdo-224-220

In the next few weeks, I should have test results back on a NEW brand of sender that hasn't hit the market yet. Several hours of phone calls might have paid off… We'll see……

Robbie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: