Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing Scuff marks from a Porsche 912
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
azwildcats7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Removing Scuff marks from a Porsche 912 Reply with quote

I had a friend in my garage and unfortunately he knocked a piece of wood trim into my 1966 912 porsche that left some nice scuff marks on the paint. Lets just say I wasn't too happy about it.

The scuff marks are about 1-2 inches in diameter (I have uploaded an image in the Porsche 911/912 gallary)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1274169

I am certainly no detailer. However, I was planning on washing the car , and figured I would try to remove the scuff marks myself. If I need to, I will take the car to a detailer, but I was going to try to remove these by hand since they aren't too larger. I purchased wolfgang uber compound, some cobra waffle weave microfiber towels, and also a specific applicator for this.

My question is, is there a correct way to try to use the polish, or should I wash the car, apply a couple drops in the affected area, and then rub into? the scratch. I'm not worried about going through the paint since I am doing this by hand (and the reason I wouldn't do it myself if I was going the auto polish route), however, I just don't want to polish swirl marks into the paint into the surrounding area. Please let me know if what I am doing is ok, my mechanic said I shouldn't hurt anything, but I'm picky when it comes to details.

Also, I have a few other small swirl mark areas on the car. Could I also try removing those in a similar fashion.

Any input would be most helpful on this.

Thanks!
Brian Mathe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that you could follow the manufacturers recommendations of how to apply, what type of scratches it works for and then just do it. YouTube the product, I'm sure there are many videos on how to use it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used any expensive compound, i've always used DuPont light (white) or heavy (brown).

I would try some of the white on a damp applicator sponge with very light pressure.

Most manufacturers have 800 Help lines you can call.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to try "old fashioned" tooth paste (not the clear gel type). It is an extremely fine abrasive (finer than polishing compound) and I've used it with great success to remove minor scuffs and stains. Use a clean wet rag, paste and gentle circular motions (then re-wax).
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: