Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'04 beetle no start issue
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fritznbud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: '04 beetle no start issue Reply with quote

Hey all, New kid here! Always loved the bug, now I got stung buying this 2004 2.0 gas new beetle. After removing the door panel and window motor, cleaning the contacts for hatch and gas door, changing the oil, she will crank like usual but has no intention of firing up. I did all of the tricks, + and _ held together, ignition on for an hour, with no luck. There is fuel at the rails but obviously no spark. How can I override this computer to get it started? The yellow car w/ key on dash goes out with the others but the tach does not move while cranking. Thanks for any ideas you may have. If I get fed up, I want to install a good 'ol 1600 air cooled where the spare tire goes.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no tach movement, sounds like it could be the crank position sender, which is down near the oil filter in the block. Check the connector for it, which should be up by the filter flange. Follow the wire. Have someone scan it for codes.
fritznbud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While tearing my way through to check the CPS, I stopped to check the coil pack, I uploaded a pic, corroded with two wires I had to rip out. That might keep it from starting, I ordered a coil pack, plug wires, and have a CPS on the way.

Last edited by fritznbud on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GL with that plan.
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you scan it for faults? Throwing parts at it is a waste of money if you don't know what the problem is. Why would VW pay for worn out ignition parts? You'll also never get a modern FI car to run with out the computer.

Central Jersey VW Society
fritznbud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't received my scanner that I ordered, did you look at the pic I posted? 2 and 3 corroded coil pack, FI car needs a computer to run, of course we know that but thanks for the heads up. Back to problem, I have a gut feeling there is more to come. Would you throw parts at it that are obviously shot? Thanks for the help 73sports: coil packs are on recall list, that's why VW would pay for worn out parts.

Last edited by fritznbud on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
fritznbud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
GL with that plan.
GL or GLS model? Very helpful SFB, good luck with that
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritznbud wrote:
Haven't received my scanner that I ordered, did you look at the pic I posted? 2 and 3 corroded coil pack, FI car needs a computer to run, of course we know that but thanks for the heads up. Back to problem, I have a gut feeling there is more to come. Would you throw parts at it that are obviously shot? Thanks for the help 73sports: coil packs are on recall list, that's why VW would pay for worn out parts.

VW will pay a certified dealer that did the diagnostics/repair work. I have not heard of them ever reimbursing somebody for work they did that wasn't done in a dealership. And a dealer gets a flat rate for recall work, not market value.
fritznbud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
fritznbud wrote:

VW will pay a certified dealer that did the diagnostics/repair work. I have not heard of them ever reimbursing somebody for work they did that wasn't done in a dealership. And a dealer gets a flat rate for recall work, not market value.
I went back and deleted recall list and paying for worn out parts so I can stay on topic....tech support here, right? Or is this chit-chat, anything on your mind forum. Buh-Bye
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does it run after replacing coil pack? I would think that it would run with the old one, as I assume it did before the oil change. One or two "corroded" terminals would not keep car from running, I would expect to see misfires on a couple of cylinders at worst.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritznbud wrote:
ps2375 wrote:
fritznbud wrote:

I went back and deleted recall list and paying for worn out parts so I can stay on topic....tech support here, right? Or is this chit-chat, anything on your mind forum. Buh-Bye

Well, you don't walk into a party and yell "its all about me" as an entry as you have done here.

Flag to mods to lock and/or delete thread, until perhaps you can learn some manners.

Your loss, because the support Ive received here as a NooB has been great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: