Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new paint removal
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deanomont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: new paint removal Reply with quote

Hello,

This is coming from someone that knows very little about paint and body.

The PO quite possibly pulled off the worst paint job I have ever seen! This stuff was peeling off before I bought it, so I knew what I was getting in to.

Its hard to tell from the pic, but the new paint is quite a bit darker than the og Miami blue underneath.

The flakes coming off appear to be clear causing one to believe that it is just clear coat, however I am certain that I'm looking at the original paint underneath, which doesn't look too bad. According to PO the paint looked pretty good before he painted it, just oxidized. Judging by the og paint I see, I think I might be able to cut and buff it back in to shape.

I want to attempt to carefully remove all the new paint down to the original and then see what I have to work with. If it looks like crap then I will decide what to do from there.

Now my question:
How do I safely remove the paint without damaging the og paint underneath. I have seen some folks on here using graffiti remover, but my local paint shop says no way. Would sanding it be a better method? My concerns about sanding is that it will be incredibly difficult to not damage any of the paint I want to keep.

Of course, I think if I left it out in the sun for a few more months all the paint will fall off on its own..lol

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Let me know if you need some more pics. I will be happy to go out and snap a few. This is just one I already had in the gallery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief. That looks like a tricky mess to remove. I would be temped to try some lacquer thinner on a rag and see if it softens and removes only the clear coat. It shouldn't affect the original paint unless it is soaked for a very long period of time. Unless that isn't the original paint underneath. It's risky.
deanomont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on the graffiti remover?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanding.
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe even a low powered pressure washer.
deanomont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What grit sand paper should I use if I sand it? could I use a DA? That sounds riskier than the graffiti remover..

Remember, my objective is to try and save the og paint..

No graffiti remover? The dude in one of the stickys removed all the paint on his bus and was even able to save the og logos that were underneath, but like I said before, a pro body guy told me not to use unless I want to take it down to bare metal (confusion). Maybe I'll try a little on an inconspicuous area..

Just trying to get a clear idea.. that is an awful lot of sanding to do!

Thanks
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used grafitti remover. I was taking off a rattle can paint job and it worked with plenty of elbow grease. did not damage the og VW paint.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
deanomont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another shot of the roof.

It seems that it peels the most when its hot out. Maybe I'll use a heat gun, but then I run the risk of burning something.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
deanomont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I have used grafitti remover. I was taking off a rattle can paint job and it worked with plenty of elbow grease. did not damage the og VW paint.

Can you tell me in a little more detail your method?
How many cans did you use?
How long did it take?

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: