Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

veteran Thing owners
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: veteran Thing owners Reply with quote

To my friends who served.
Numerous restaurant chains offer free breakfast, lunch, dinners or desserts to veterans on Tuesday. Last year my Jar-head friend Cenon and I hit a lot of establishments and pigged out plenty. It is also a great time to chat with other veterans. Peggy will tell you it Veterans can tell better tales than fisherman, and she enjoys listening to all of us. Our favorite has been Olive Garden for dinner. We have noticed many places are offering deals on either Sunday or Monday, also, so plan for a weekend of good eats at a price that recognizes our Veterans.
Cecil

Here are a couple sites that will give you the deals in your area.
http://militarybenefits.info/veterans-day-discounts-sales-deals-free-meals/
http://www.military.com/veterans-day/veterans-day-military-discounts.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the Vets for all you have done.

You won't come back from Dead Bugs Cure unless you have a 181!

Only Things survive. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

| _______
| |_______| '73 Thing "481"
| _\_\_|_/_/_
| |O||_4_||O|
| [ ]=====[ ]
http://vwthingregistry.com
https://doublecabshaka.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Cecil!!!

Thank you to All my brothers and sisters out there!! Cool

Remember those establishments are doing this to show support, allow them to bless you when they offer!! I've had some argue that it's taking advantage of them to let them give you a courtesy meal.... I disagree!
And appreciate their gesture!!

I'll be in Indianapolis for work all next week, so I'll look up who's offering meals there!

Thank you Very much to those that serve(d)!!!!

Remember your oath!!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, we live in a Military town. And get a lot of dicounts year round by just asking if they have a Military discout. Most all the hardware stores offer one and lots of the major stores also. Almost all the parts stores also a discount. I figure after 22 years service they can pay the California Tax when we buy. I got to all the car shows that are for the veterans and also help at a couple of Vet Dinners.Like to talk to the Vets as we all have great stories.
Bill, 22 years USAF
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Good post Cecil!!!

Thank you to All my brothers and sisters out there!!
Remember those establishments are doing this to show support, allow them to bless you when they offer!! I've had some argue that it's taking advantage of them to let them give you a courtesy meal.... I disagree!
And appreciate their gesture!!
I'll be in Indianapolis for work all next week, so I'll look up who's offering meals there!
Thank you Very much to those that serve(d)!!!!
Remember your oath!!

I spent 31 years in uniform and ate a lot of cold powdered eggs and mystery meat in the field. If someone wants to offer me an upgrade or a meal to thank me, I am happy to oblige them.

I don't go out of my way to find them, but if they exist, I might consider them.
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strelnik wrote:
I spent 31 years in uniform and ate a lot of cold powdered eggs and mystery meat in the field.

Your note brought back the memories of Ham and Eggs, Chopped from C-Rations. Even the ants wouldn't eat it after I dropped it next to their ant hill.

I got so good with C-Rations I could open a case of twelve boxes and pick out the one that had the fruit cocktail in it. I lived on that stuff.

It was too bad the three pack of cigarettes was finally eliminated. They were great for trading material.

I still have a P38 on my keyring.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobie16 wrote:
strelnik wrote:
I spent 31 years in uniform and ate a lot of cold powdered eggs and mystery meat in the field.

Your note brought back the memories of Ham and Eggs, Chopped from C-Rations. Even the ants wouldn't eat it after I dropped it next to their ant hill.

I still have a P38 on my keyring.

I occasionally carry mine in a shoulder holster, prefer the Russian Makarov.
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper Fi my brothers!

"If it works, don't fix it....let it break on its own."
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strelnik wrote:

I do believe he was referring to this P38

hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
strelnik wrote:

I do believe he was referring to this P38

Yes I was.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
bald_dude43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I still carry the P38 that I used in basic training back in '83 on my key chain. I've only had to sharpen it twice I think.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my Dad’s “US Speaker” P 38 from his basic training on my short chain with my dog tags... I recently bought a bunch of vintage p-38s online (not to be confused with the P 51) as gifts for my family members... You can tell a WWII era P-38 by its logo J.W. Speaker Corporation (stamped "US Speaker”) Later during Vietnam era the P 38 logo changed to Mallin Hardware (now defunct) of Shelby, Ohio and were variously stamped "US Mallin Shelby O." or "U.S. Shelby Co.”
The P 38 named for being tough like the dual fuselage P-38 spy plane and it is 38 mm long
Additionally it takes 38 cranks to open a can of c rations..
The P 51 is the
larger opener for large cans... Was named for the P 51 Mustang and yes it is 51 mm long.. That is it for can opener trivia..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late in on this one, but Thanks also from Georgia for those that served so well!

I so dreamed of a P38 also growing up, but one I could sit in! I wanted so badly to become a USAF fighter pilot, as was my uncle for whom I am named. He was killed in the crash of an F86D 2 years before I was born. While I was healthy as could be, I did have spinal fusions which kept me out of all branches. Would have loved the opportunity.

I must brag though: My youngest child, and only son decided after a poor showing in college, and nearly a year of serving sandwiches that the United States Marine Core was where he needed to be! He is also named for his grandfather (my uncles brother) who took the same path in the early 50's!

He will be graduating USMC SOI on the 20th. We had agreed that since we got to experience the MCRT graduation, and that time is limited at SOI that we would not make the 8 hour drive for the ceremony. He called last Wednesday (11- 12) and asked his mom "Do you think you and dad might be able to come anyway?"

When all was told, we find that MY SON was chosen as the TOP honor graduate of 4 platoons! I have to say, I am one proud papa!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: