Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Updated alternatives to Dynamat.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:
Most of the tar boards appears to be much thicker than these new products

our 73 super had the stock tar boards and they were a layer of thick tar paper top and bottom with white styrofoam between. The ones from the 61' were just layers of tar and thick paper but thinner overall. Either way they were terrible for keeping dirt and moisture hidden under them in the grooves.

if you want to get a bucket of tar and some tar paper to duplicate the 40-50 year old system, then have at it. I think there are better products to insulate with now that weigh less and do a better job.

^^^+1
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
I see no issues other than when batteries charge they "breathe" a bit & you want to evacuate those fumes (explosive fumes). I ran a similar box & put a vent tube in the box & ran the tube out of the car. A bit of piece of mind. Wink

Someone left an old license plate under the back seat of my old super beetle. And one day I was driving around and all this smoke started coming from inside the back of the car. I pulled over and started ripping the back seat out. To discover that the license plate had made it's way to sitting atop the battery across both terminals. And was smoking hot. Luckily it moved enough as I pulled the seat out. To slide the plate a bit off of one terminal. Scared the crap out of me. But no harm done. I flipped the battery out of the car. Still smoking. Pretty stupid. I was in my early 20's. Didn't know any better to check what the hell was stored in there.

I swear I drove that car into the ground. Never did any maintenance on it. And it just kept going. Got me out of the Marine Corps and through college. I loved that car. Was that disgusting bright green color too. But it had a sunroof. I had no idea at the time how rare that was. To have a sunroof. Only thing I ever fixed was the accelerator cable. That thing broke at the end about once every six months it seemed like. Probably from the hard way I drove it. lol! Wrecked it three times. And used the insurance money each time to help me get thru school. That car just gave and gave and gave.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: