Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you built trans at home?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
langan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Can you built trans at home? Reply with quote

If a guy wanted to build a Freeway flyer trans at home where could he find parts an info?
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a transmission forum over at www.ShopTalkForums.Com if you're really serious. But keep in mind, the required specialty tools alone will cost more than one trans.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bentley repair manuals have a complete chapter with pictures and a list of all the special tools you will need on rebuilding a VW transaxle. Long Enterprises sells a DVD on rebuilding them.

If your only going to rebuild one transaxle it will cost you more to buy all the special tools and jigs then to pay a shop to do it for you.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything above, plus u need access to a hydraulic press. You'll need to build about 5- 6 gear boxes to make the purchase of specialty tools worth it. This also includes the "learning curve" or more popularly known as the oops factor.
I bought my trainer discs from Long and I buy parts from them, geno boyd and Rich robertson. Others to purchase are erco , rancho, and weddle.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure...if you have all the tools, press, jigs and other machines to refurbish the middle housing.

If for no other reason other than you want to learn how to do it, practice on a dummy transmission. Just take it apart and clean and see if it is what you want to do. It is quite a bit of money to get going in the trans rebuilding.

But I would not recommend setting up the whole bit and just do one. Not worth it.

I already had my machines and toolings so it was a natural progression for me to do transmissions.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
langan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're do you buy the tools and parts?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...you have to collect them all! Laughing

LIke I said...it is not worth if only doing 1 or 2 units. YOu are better off paying for a trans.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can rent some of the tools here: http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/home.php?cat=453
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you learn how to use bluing and read the gears you can get buy without many of the fixtures. It is a slower process this way and requires sometimes many assembly /reassembly cycles, but it can be done. If your only doing one tranny and have the time that is a good way to go.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the tools you'll also need a large selection of shim washers to mix and match to find the correct combination for your box, another reason to let a pro with the existing parts stash do it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....and no.....

I am not a transmission expert but I have worked on and rebuilt more than a handful.

I think there needs to be a bit more Q&A before just saying its too expensive to do only one transmission.

Everyone immediately assumed it was a type 1 based transaxle (probably is.... but still).
What Kind is it?

Yes....building a freeway flier (meaning changing gear ratios and/or R&P) will require quite a bit of measuring....
......but for the benefit of those reading who are not changing ratios but who may be just doing a general reburb.

Its fully possible to to that without a lot more than the intermediate plate jig and a good set of micrometers, good torque wrenches in inch lbs, dial indicators and extensions/mounts/clamps etc.

Yes...you need a press. A serviceable one can be had from HF for between $125 and $200

This means changing bearings, setting pre-load, lash and measuring synchros.

The real question is what other than the obvious needs to be done on this guys freeway flier.
Usually if you are doing more than just extending the life of the transaxle.....meaning doing a FULL rebuild.....which will require a ton of tools......then yeah....send it out.

I note this because the transmissions I spend most of my time working on are type 4....004.
Year ago I would have paid a pile of money to have someone rebuild one for me.
I could not find any shop anywhere to do so. This reasons given for this are because:

1. 004 parts are rare or unobtanium (not valid to me because I had all parts needed).....

2. there were numerous special VW jigs for measuring main gear stack tolerance and at least three special tools for adjusting the differential.....and they are unique to the type 4....so no one has them (valid)

3. None of these guys....Long, Rancho...you name...had ever been inside one. (valid)

I have been fully through at least 6 of them now. It took very little in cost...just time and thoughtful disassembly of the first two I did....to adapt dial indicators and micrometers to measure what was needed for differential and main gear measurements.

All else is similar to other VW types....inspection of synchro wear, checking R&P Fit with dye etc etc.

The $500 or so I spent on tools that I needed....and use in many other places...is still less than it would have cost me for a full rebuild if someone else had done it for me.
If you are willing to spend the money for a rebuild.....for about the same money you can buy the basics and make your own jigs (when possible)...and you are not in a hurry. Ray
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes less tools and time to do a vw trans than an engine.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you built trans at home? Reply with quote

langan wrote:
If a guy wanted to build a Freeway flyer trans at home where could he find parts an info?

It depends on what you have and how you are trying to make a FF. Are you just trying to change the ring and pinion to a 3.88? Or are you changing gears sets? Is this a swingaxle or IRS? Some only require simple changes. Others require you to change the entire diff and/or gear carrier.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
It takes less tools and time to do a vw trans than an engine.

yeah I agree but it all depends on the builder .... I think a experienced builder can do allot with almost no tools . there is allot of little tricks and especially knowing what to look for and how to make adjustments . I built my own and im no tranny expert in the sense that im not doing it day in and day out but I have messed around with them allot . it can be done ...
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all the parts that fall out of the used tranny are all within specs, sure - you can most def make a decent OVERHAUL.

If you are talking REBUILD - you have to modify parts like cleanup the hubs coz the gears have eaten into it....clean up the faces on the gears themselves.
To do accurate cleanup on these you need a minimum of a decent lathe. The hubs are soft and can be cleaned up w/ just cutters. But the gears are hardened -will need a toolpost grinder. Or a flywheel grinder to grind out the galled areas.

You can also use a flat piece of glass and sandpaper to clean up the gear faces. But the hub faces are deep in the recess -how are you going to clean that up by hand??

To bring everything back to factory specs -which is what a rebuild is- will need good tools and machines.

If you just want to go thru it that is an overhaul, not rebuild.
langan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys I do have a machine shop and a sheet metal shop. I was mostly looking for where to get the tools and parts and know how to do trans. Just never see adds for trans parts. I will just buy one done and be at the mersey of the builder.
EvileNV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/TRANS-A-JIG-Transmission-Tool-Kit-7065-20-p/7065-20.htm

$260 at aircooled.net, obviously you need a press and other tools but if you're wanting to rebuild your own trans then you probably own a lot already...
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Everything above, plus u need access to a hydraulic press. You'll need to build about 5- 6 gear boxes to make the purchase of specialty tools worth it. This also includes the "learning curve" or more popularly known as the oops factor.

You know, that's actually not too bad... Think
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is odd that it says it will not work on late t-2's, the plate is drilled for t-2 and the pins are the same length as late t-1.
To the OP, 90 % of people on this site believe that the vw trans is made of some type of voodoo and will tell you to stay away and "pay a pro" to do it. That is fine, I build these things for a living, more than 1000 t-1 boxes alone. So should you pay me, or do it your self? You will need some specific tools, just as you do for an engine. And there may be some machining involved, just as if you were building an engine. It is not voodoo.
I would have a hard time listening to someone giving you advise on an engine build but telling you to stay away from a gearbox because it takes special machine work.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive rebuilt many trans at home,mostly automatic for racing,chevy/gm, ford&mopar. motorcycle&a few others&many rearends. I have yet to dive into my vw trans.mostly because I dont currently have room to do it(toomuch v8 racing shit in my shop) and of corse I dont have all the tools needed and dont know all the tricks needed to do it "right".I have 3 jigs thats it.so i still need to get a few other things and room to do it. all my v8 racing stuff is for sale including a new unfinished car and many trick engines and parts. when there all gone I can start doing a lot more on my stuff again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: