Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you built trans at home?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Sure...if you have ...... machines to refurbish the middle housing.

Or just spend $30 to buy a gear carrier that is already rebushed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or send yours out to be bushed. People don't have a problem sending heads out for machine work, whats the difference?

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trust issues.....hard for me to send any thing out. there are somany scamers out there. thats when you do your home work to be sure your sending your stuff to the right guy. and for me the right guy would be in california accross the country,not down the street or accross town.I wish i had that 388 trans back in the bug.but I dont like bearing noise.and 1 dead bearing leads to more dead shit.so it sits in the storage room and the car has the 412 trans in it.trip to tenn probably wont happen with that 412 in there. does any body know the next winning lottery numbers???I play it about twice a year and need to play now.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Or send yours out to be bushed. People don't have a problem sending heads out for machine work, whats the difference?

For the $9 core charge, it's hardly worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW transmission can cause bi-polar depression.

The story:

So you've finished getting your engine just the way you like it. Smile
But then you notice you haven't done anything to rest of the car. Sad
But then you stumble across transmission upgrades. Very Happy
However, wanting to try it yourself, you search and search and search and can't find the parts. Crying or Very sad
But then, out of the blue you stumble across the Berg 5-speed kit! Drool
But the you begine pricing all the parts. d'oh!
So you decide to go with the freeway flier instead. Cool
Ah, but you cannot seem to find an 3.88 R&P. Confused
But then there it is, and for just a couple hundred dollars! Dancing
Ah! But how do you install one? Anxious
Alas! The Haynes manual has a detailed instruction list for the home mechanic on rebuilding your VW aircooled transmission! Pray
But what's this? It say's not to change the R&P yourself! Mad
Well you break out your Bentley's and see you need some tools to shim it properly. Think
But finally, you find the tools and you realize you're going to be in the thousands again. Brick wall
So you decide this is a job for someone else. And you find someone else across the country who can do it for cheap! Applause
But the you find out what it costs to ship your transmission there and back. :2gunfire:
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
The VW transmission can cause bi-polar depression.

The story:

So you've finished getting your engine just the way you like it. Smile
But then you notice you haven't done anything to rest of the car. Sad
But then you stumble across transmission upgrades. Very Happy
However, wanting to try it yourself, you search and search and search and can't find the parts. Crying or Very sad
But then, out of the blue you stumble across the Berg 5-speed kit! Drool
But the you begine pricing all the parts. d'oh!
So you decide to go with the freeway flier instead. Cool
Ah, but you cannot seem to find an 3.88 R&P. Confused
But then there it is, and for just a couple hundred dollars! Dancing
Ah! But how do you install one? Anxious
Alas! The Haynes manual has a detailed instruction list for the home mechanic on rebuilding your VW aircooled transmission! Pray
But what's this? It say's not to change the R&P yourself! Mad
Well you break out your Bentley's and see you need some tools to shim it properly. Think
But finally, you find the tools and you realize you're going to be in the thousands again. Brick wall
So you decide this is a job for someone else. And you find someone else across the country who can do it for cheap! Applause
But the you find out what it costs to ship your transmission there and back. :2gunfire:

Lol Juanito! In Hawaii a popular saying phrases this whole up -down journey of mini victories and ultimate resignation.... we call it "kill-fight". "No can win".

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to know is if you can build a continuously variable transmission for a Type 1 at home. Eh?
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

As I agree with this, cores are running out. Look at the price of trans cores, it used to be "I'll just pay the core charge and get my trans" Now it's "holey shit! 2-300 bucks for a t-1 core?"
Trans builders used to give away cores just to get the sale, not any more.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
"kill-fight". "No can win".

'aswhyhardbra
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told "you cant build your own automatic transmission" years ago, when I was big into American muscle cars. At the time I rebuilt all my own engines and thought how much harder could it be?

I went to the local performance tranny builder, spoke to him for a while and he said he would order my parts at his cost. So it was game on.

I was building a 2004r, automatic overdrive, commonly found in Buick Grand Nationals and Monte Carlo SS's. I tore apart my junkyard pulled tranny and got to work reading everything I could find. I made all my own tooling despite the fact I was told it had to be bought, and that it was all required and very expensive.

Once I mocked up some of the sub assemblies I realized I needed some new "selective washers" (shims). Back to the tranny shop I went. The head builder there said "Oh, you checked those??", admitting that he NEVER checked clearances or end play on his builds- he just reuses the original shims every time. This is a performance tranny shop, known in my area for building the best performance and race trannies!!

I assembled my tranny, made quite a few modifications, added numerous performance parts (better pump, wider band, better clutches, machined plates, shift kit, billet servo, boost valve, etc) and probably saved at least $1000. It worked flawlessly.

The moral of my story is don't be afraid to try something. The only thing Ive ever paid to have built for me to date is a rear axle. It lasted 20 miles and destroyed everything inside including a rare positraction carrier. Now I wont pay for anything other than machine work- if only I had a mill.....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/448794 (Vette,Nova,Typhoon)
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbnova wrote:
I was told "you cant build your own automatic transmission" years ago, when I was big into American muscle cars. At the time I rebuilt all my own engines and thought how much harder could it be?

I went to the local performance tranny builder, spoke to him for a while and he said he would order my parts at his cost. So it was game on.

I was building a 2004r, automatic overdrive, commonly found in Buick Grand Nationals and Monte Carlo SS's. I tore apart my junkyard pulled tranny and got to work reading everything I could find. I made all my own tooling despite the fact I was told it had to be bought, and that it was all required and very expensive.

Once I mocked up some of the sub assemblies I realized I needed some new "selective washers" (shims). Back to the tranny shop I went. The head builder there said "Oh, you checked those??", admitting that he NEVER checked clearances or end play on his builds- he just reuses the original shims every time. This is a performance tranny shop, known in my area for building the best performance and race trannies!!

I assembled my tranny, made quite a few modifications, added numerous performance parts (better pump, wider band, better clutches, machined plates, shift kit, billet servo, boost valve, etc) and probably saved at least $1000. It worked flawlessly.

The moral of my story is don't be afraid to try something. The only thing Ive ever paid to have built for me to date is a rear axle. It lasted 20 miles and destroyed everything inside including a rare positraction carrier. Now I wont pay for anything other than machine work- if only I had a mill.....

Now I want to make my own transmission tools! Confused

Where do I start?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Bruce wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

As I agree with this, cores are running out. Look at the price of trans cores, it used to be "I'll just pay the core charge and get my trans" Now it's "holey shit! 2-300 bucks for a t-1 core?"

Last year I tried to return a bunch of core gear carriers to Weddle. They told me they didn't want them.
Another supplier (un-named) said he didn't want my gear carrier cores because he assumed they would be badly corroded around the lower studs. I said some are, many aren't. Then when I buy rebushed gear carriers from him, he sends me corroded ones!
What they don't realise is that around here, all the cores are low mileage, so the mainshaft bearing bore is always TIGHT! Not the sloppy ones they send me.
And what's the deal with the previous shops stealing the steel sleeves the springs ride in?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr nova I rebuilt american autos, mostly racing, but lots for std cars&trucks too. there wernt many specilaized tools for them,but there are make it easyer tools for them that make it oh somuch easyer to build them for the trans shop that does a lot or ships out.autos are nothing special,probably easyer than some std's, but they all have tricks to be done so they work better and last longer.it's amazing most auto trans could be rebuilt/repaird for less than $60 including fluid(not including labor, but they dont take a long time to do) and they charge???? we used to buy cores for $10-20. build them in down time and stick them on the shelf. 3 a day is easy if you dont break a sweat.
Ive got to get in gear and build or have a 388 trans to stick back in my bug soon as I noticed the poly mounts are almost gone when I did an oil change yesterday, and if Im pulling the motor it's getten a trans change too.
and no most trans shops dont set end play or even pay attn to the wear on the shims.they dont care as it will go at least a year when it's out of spec. I used to make some bronze shims for the mopar performance trans.some of the crap I got from big performance trans companys was horendious, blue printed race pumps that were wore out, rust pitted pump gears, mis matched housings.like I said there simple and work with all kinds of stuff not up to snuff....but a dead,sliced,cracked or hard seal can kill it all. even just funkey fluid.
when rebuilding a auto,a sharp memory is nice to have.....I may have an issue with that these days... Shocked
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so who has the rebushed carriers for $30+$9 core?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not $30 but check his ads http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=644356
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mistakenly bought some shit from geno. best $100+ lesson I ever spent.pure shit, everything. he told me everything was returnable if I did not like it. he then refuzed the return when it got to him.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
Bruce wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Last year I tried to return a bunch of core gear carriers to Weddle. They told me they didn't want them.
Another supplier (un-named) said he didn't want my gear carrier cores because he assumed they would be badly corroded around the lower studs. I said some are, many aren't. Then when I buy rebushed gear carriers from him, he sends me corroded ones!
What they don't realise is that around here, all the cores are low mileage, so the mainshaft bearing bore is always TIGHT! Not the sloppy ones they send me.
And what's the deal with the previous shops stealing the steel sleeves the springs ride in?

Old thread, but the new gear carriers from Brazil( if you can still find them) did not have the sleeves in them, you had to use the sleeves from your old one. I had about 20 of these carriers some time ago, but none now

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
so who has the rebushed carriers for $30+$9 core?

My secret supplier.

You can do it yourself if you have a drill press and two reamers. One to bore out the hole to press the bronze bushing into, another to finish ream it. I'm going to give it a try in the next few months.
The $30 isn't the incentive. It's the theft of the steel sleeves and the aluminum plugs I find really annoying. Plus the pounded out MS bearing bores they always provide.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then whoo has the wore out bearing bore housings?so I can steer clear of them,dont need no bull. Wink I gotta find some shims&snapring/clips too at some point.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I gotta find some shims&snapring/clips too at some point.

Long Enterprises has all of that stuff
http://www.longenterprises.com/parts_list/partslist_2700.html
I bought their DVD's, and made my own tools to rebuild my first swing axle trans. I've since done two more, it's much easier the second and third times. Maybe I've been lucky, so far the shift rail bores, and bearing bores have been tight .
I've saved these pages. There is some decent info towards the end about making your own tools
http://www.ckoon.org/vw/tranny/tranny.html
Here's a chunk of beetle front beam being turned into a wrench for the pinion bearing

I cannibalized an old case to use as a jig, for setting up the shift forks. Here's looking at the stacks through the cut case

And as I used a different ring and pinion than came with the case, I needed a way to measure the differential to pinion distance. There is a VW tool for this, but I mounted a small indicator to an old diff housing.

You need for both side covers with the bearings to be installed, but this shows you what I'm doing

I'll still send my performance stuff out to someone who knows what they're doing (mcmscott), but if I have the time I'll tackle stock rebuilds.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: