Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Salt Season 2014/15 has begun!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Salt Season 2014/15 has begun! Reply with quote

It seems early but here in the "Mountains" (uneven terrain to you Western Folk) of New Jersey, the first Road Salting of the Season!

Time to put your classics away until Spring!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us that still use ours in winter/salt conditions, rust protection is the key. I am learning more of what others have been telling us about WAX protection.

Insyncro has always talked about Fluid Film, Waxoyl. I used the Fluid Film last season and have purchased Waxoyl for additional protection this winter.

I truly believe that there is something to be learned from the East Coast van owners. Or maybe I am just slow to learn.

Thanks again to those that teach us on this board. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They haven't salted down here in south jersey yet, but the forecast is calling for possible flurries overnight so I wouldn't be surprised if everything is caked in salt on my way home from work tonight. Rolling Eyes

I remember last year they brined 295 mid-October even without any freezing weather in the forecast. I suspect it was some sort of dry run but at least they're waiting longer this year.

Salted roads are definitely in my top 3 of all time hated things.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start/pass a State wide Petition/Initiative to outlaw salt on your roads. Make them use sand instead.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
For those of us that still use ours in winter/salt conditions, rust protection is the key. I am learning more of what others have been telling us about WAX protection.

Insyncro has always talked about Fluid Film, Waxoyl. I used the Fluid Film last season and have purchased Waxoyl for additional protection this winter.

I truly believe that there is something to be learned from the East Coast van owners. Or maybe I am just slow to learn.

Thanks again to those that teach us on this board. Wink

Waxoyl....is ancient technology. It re-wets and flows because it never actually dries..... in hot weather. In the looong term....it pulls in and suspends enough salt, grit and moisture that it causes corrosion.

Its a great product for when it was invented. But I have seen the undersides of many vehicles that it was left on long term...and they had ugly rust damage due to the crap that gets embedded in waxoyl.

If it were easy to remove...which it is not...and could be steam stripped every say...3-5 years....awesome. Other than that I would never use it for something I wanted to protect long term.

Take the time to strip the undercarriage, then epoxy prime, epoxy topcoat....and then go through with a good 25 year rated acrylic weatherstripping caulk and diligently caulk any gap, pore or hole that is too large for the hard shell epoxy.
It doesn't get any better than that.
Ray
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Start/pass a State wide Petition/Initiative to outlaw salt on your roads. Make them use sand instead.

That might work where you're at Mike, but states that use salt do it for a reason, like to melt snow, and ice off the roadways. Too much money to be lost IF they were to close the roads and businesses due to some snow. Rolling Eyes

Road salt is just a part of living in a different part of the country in the winter months.
Just so you know, it's snowing here right now. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

That might work where you're at Mike, but states that use salt do it for a reason, like to melt snow, and ice off the roadways. Too much money to be lost IF they were to close the roads and businesses due to some snow. Rolling Eyes

Road salt is just a part of living in a different part of the country in the winter months.

I don't know about that... I've always wondered why east coast cities use salt. They certainly don't have any more snow that other cities that dont use salt

Actaually, based on quick research, None of the snowiest places in the US are on the east coast where they use salt. All are west coast, Colorado, Washington, Utah, etc where they use sand and gravel

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/snowiest.php jump to Heaviest Yearly Snowfalls

I'd guess it has more to do with salt mines on the east coast
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado, Wyoming and Montana use salt in their mix and have been for years
here it warmed up to 20 today after lows of -25 and the streets are slush as the DOT uses %$# salt with the mix Sad
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have not had snow/salt.... YET !
I hope to drive the '66 tomorrow, but not if we get the expected snow ....

I've been driving this sweet Jeti warrior for 5 winters,

collects all the salt so my old ones don't.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having lived all over the place...and being in the midwest for about 3 years now.....the midwest (call it Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota and some fringes).....I can, tell you that we use more salt in these areas primarily because its generally flatter.....and short of the upper northeast....we have alternating cold and warm-ish....and its windier

The ice/snow tends to have less low areas to run off info once you can melt it. It melts...runs back onto roads and rewets and refreezes over and over.

And....worse than the salt by far is the magnesium chloride spray treatments....but god that stuff works on the roads. Ray
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to drive in salt, snow and wet conditions; Oil undercoating. Plain and simple. Actually hot oil undercoating so it flows into every crevice joint and seam. 100% effective. It's a little messy at first when done properly and needs to be redone yearly but it keeps rust away.
I'm in central Vermont. Nearby is a shop that only performs oil undercoating. He's been doing it for a hundred years and I'm guessing is grandfathered on some environmental roadblocks. The first time through he'll drill and plug holes in cavities such as doors and blast away. I have a 10 year old Silverado that I have oiled very year and there's not a spec of rust on it.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the high country of Arizona it is a MagCloride treatment. DOT used to use cinders for traction. Trust me I would much rather have broken windshield then a rusted out frame.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just like that, we are done. We had some snow flurries and they salted last night.... Crying or Very sad Now in March when the Town/State complains about running out of salt, I'll know why... Confused Sad

Now it's time to start on Winter projects..... Very Happy

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
If you have to drive in salt, snow and wet conditions; Oil undercoating. Plain and simple. Actually hot oil undercoating so it flows into every crevice joint and seam. 100% effective. It's a little messy at first when done properly and needs to be redone yearly but it keeps rust away.
I'm in central Vermont. Nearby is a shop that only performs oil undercoating. He's been doing it for a hundred years and I'm guessing is grandfathered on some environmental roadblocks. The first time through he'll drill and plug holes in cavities such as doors and blast away. I have a 10 year old Silverado that I have oiled very year and there's not a spec of rust on it.

Yes.....this is actually the best bet for heavily salted areas for cars thatcmustcbe driven in it.. It protects extremely well.....and as noted. ...MUST be reapplied every year.....but even better with this process....most shops that I have seen that do it (its been since high school since I have seen it myself)......steam clean the underside first. At, very least they run the far through a high pressure undercarriage wash.

This is part of what makes it work well. They remove the old oil....and most of the salt and grime.... before applying fresh oil.

Thanks for the reminder of this method. I had forgotten about it.

The problem with waxoyl is that its very hard to get off. Also over time it collects lots of bad stuff that always gets through nooks and crannies. Ray
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

I don't know about that... I've always wondered why east coast cities use salt. They certainly don't have any more snow that other cities that dont use salt

Actaually, based on quick research, None of the snowiest places in the US are on the east coast where they use salt. All are west coast, Colorado, Washington, Utah, etc where they use sand and gravel

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/snowiest.php jump to Heaviest Yearly Snowfalls

Actually google cities with a population of 100,000 people or more and probably 1/2 are east coast with wonderful Erie being number 1 last year, yay!

We got 12 inches last Thursday and more expected for the next week, salt is a necessary evil. The lake effect snow machine is an nasty mistress. We couldn't afford to allow the city and surrounding area to rely on sand when you are getting snow at a rate of a foot in just a few hours. They were expecting rain last Thursday so PennDOT wasn't prepared and it was a mess. Kids were stuck on buses for over three hours trying to get home from school.

It was 70 degrees on Wednesday and I saw a lot of classic cars out for their last use before next May.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us Aussies don't have to deal with this type of conditions, ever, so we get to enjoy or classics year-round. The most we have to deal with is a few weeks of rain!

Salt... what harm does that do to rivers/lakes etc?
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

I don't know where you got your information about Utah using sand and gravel, but you must have never been there in the winter. According to utah.gov, they use 210,000 tons of salt per year on the roads there. I go to Utah quite often in the winter. The roads up to the state line will be icy, but once you cross the line, you hit the salted roads and you have no ice.

FU#3
utahclaimjumper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utah also uses salt brine out of the great salt lake on the roads in SLC.>>>Dan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a threat of ice the other day..... Got rain...

But boy did they ever salt!

Dried car drippings on my garage floor..... Crystallized Salt!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunate I get to drive mine year-round.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: