Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

epoxy primer with matt clear.
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Maingot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: epoxy primer with matt clear. Reply with quote

Have completed body work and took car down to bare metal, epoxy primed then did light filler work and putty and then smoothed all over and did a final of 2 coats of epoxy primer.I used Sikkens EP II grey. The car is now ready for paint and I planned to use a matt grey anyway but I like the look of the matt grey primer and would like to know if it would be reasonable to just use a matt clear coat over this and leave it at that. Is there any reason that the epoxy primer with matt clearcoat would not standup to tropical elements?
Thanks for any advice.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like you need to contact the paint manufacturer on that. I have used the primer as a base & cleared over it, but that was for the movies & it only needs to last until they call cut.
Stuart Maingot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that is the best advice however my local dealer wants to sell paint so they are not giving me any explanation why it would not work except to say NO.
So I will be trying this by applying a final reduced coat of the epoxy primer as a sealer and then shoot the matt clear over.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray 3 thin coats of clear on it in one day and call it finished! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart Maingot wrote:
I suppose that is the best advice however my local dealer wants to sell paint so they are not giving me any explanation why it would not work except to say NO.
So I will be trying this by applying a final reduced coat of the epoxy primer as a sealer and then shoot the matt clear over.

Your paint "jobber" isn't giving you any info, not because he wants to sell some paint, but rather the epoxy doesn't have any UV stability in it (why it must be painted). But, since you're covering it with clear, you MIGHT be able to get away with just clearing the primer (it's technically sealed). I'm not saying you can do it, because it MIGHT not hold out colorwise under the clear. Without the clear, the epoxy will chalk due to the UV rays from the sun.
IF you really like the color of the primer, then I'd either do a "spray out" card, and have the color custom mixed. Or, I'd take the car to the paint supply, and have them "read" the color, and custom mix some paint for it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Stuart Maingot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your points wrt the UV stability is well noted. I guess there is no shortcutting here without risk. I may just have to go the regular route of base /clear over the epoxy. Still deciding.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: