Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing issue
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cb747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Timing issue Reply with quote

Hi all first post here and I am completely new to bugs Smile I have a quick question. Would the engine run if the firing order was wrong as in #3 firing instead of #1. I got the car non running and hasn't run in years. I got it started but it runs like total crap which is to be expected.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obtain service manuals before proceeding. That way you will be able to set up the timing valves carb etc.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know how to confirm that the engine is ready for #1 to fire (and not #3) by looking at the valves as you move the crankshaft around TDC?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Do you know how to confirm that the engine is ready for #1 to fire (and not #3) by looking at the valves as you move the crankshaft around TDC?

Cb747,

Randy asks an important question. You don't want to be kinda sure- you want to know and check it then confirm it. It will save you a ton of headaches and head scratching. (I finally followed this advice Laughing )

If you know, I don't mean to question your knowledge. If not, lots of great info on here. Also great videos on classicvwbugs.com for timing.

Keith
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb747, welcome

To directly answer your question...it depends on what distributor you have.

The original 1970 and earlier distributors all used single vacuum single advance (SVSA) and they all had No3 cylinder 3 degrees retarded (on the distribtuor cam lobes) to take a bit of heat load off that cylinder - the old style cooling system gave the worst cooling to No3 cylinder. So if you DID time it on No3 and ARE using an old SVSA distributor, then your timing is off.

If you are using a more recent SVDA, DVDA or 009 distributor, then using No3 to time it is OK.

But that's why we always use No1 for timing - it works for ANY distributor.

You need to know what cylinder you are using, and it's easy to do. Put the timing marks near the top of the pulley and pull of the right side valve cover. The front cylinder there is No1 (front is front of car). If both valves are loose (shut) then you have the timing marks on No1. If the No1 exhaust valve spring is compressed (open), then you have the timing marks on No3 and need to turn the engine through 360 degrees and check the No1 valve springs again.

Enjoy your "new" car.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea Any VW that has not run in ages so to speak will more issues then just the firing order which is 1-4-3-2

#1 RF, #2 RR, #3 LF, #4 LR (backwards 1-2-3-4( while the firing order is a 1-4-3-2.

Knowing where the TDC on the pully is a important factor.

With that TDC your dis rotor will be pointing at #1 or #3 spk plug wire/cyl.

That being said it is very possible for a cyl NOT to fire depending on the spk plug itself or the wires or maybe the valves TOO tight from lack of the engine having been run for a while and with a valve open the cyy will have NO compression thus only running on 3 cyls...many variables to mention with a poor running engine...everything needs to be checked carfefully.

A VW book would help loads or maybe with help from another VW person.

It will take a while.

(VW mechanic Retired)
cb747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I do know a good amount about cars (have a 75 Duster 360 that I've rebuilt) but basically nothing about VW motors. Ive read that I could have the 1st cylinder on the wrong stroke. I am just wondering that if that is the case would the car still run? Im not sure what distributor is in it other than its a single vacuum advance. I have put new plus and wires, cap, rotor. points ands condenser in. I am sure I have carb issues as well. It was parked in 99. Allegedly started in 2005 and has sat ever sense. I pulled the gas tank out and it looks in good shape and was bone dry surprisingly.
cb747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy no I do not. How hard is it to pull the valve cover with the engine in the car?
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab the wire clip with your fingers or a screwdriver. Pull it down and the valve cover will fall into your hand unless it's glued, in which case you have to grab it and pull.

Use good cork gaskets, no glue but grease, and they will not leak when you put them back on, and be easy to remove.

TDC is often marked by a round dimple on the rear edge of the fan belt pulley. Static timing mark is on the edge of the pulley closer to the motor and is not round, but v shaped. .004" intake, .006" exhaust. No timing chain, rotate the engine any direction you want. Set timing to 30 degrees BTDC at full advance. You should forget trying to static time it. Too many distributors over the years , too many hands on every bug, to know for sure which one your mark is for. 4-3-2-1 clockwise starting in lower left, right two distributor spots to the right cylinders and the left two to the left side if it is set right.
cb747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow didn't realize it was that simple LOL I will do that tomorrow or next time I work on the car Smile
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been here?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4921443
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good site is...

http://vw-resource.com/
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing issue Reply with quote

cb747 wrote:
I have a quick question. Would the engine run if the firing order was wrong as in #3 firing instead of #1.

Yes. It will run badly and you will probably need to open the throttle to keep it running, but it will run.

I've also seen them run with 1 or 2 cylinders not firing. These are very robust engines.

So just because you engine starts and runs... doesn't mean the timing is correct.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harleyelf wrote:

TDC is often marked by a round dimple on the rear edge of the fan belt pulley. Static timing mark is on the edge of the pulley closer to the motor and is not round, but v shaped. .004" intake, .006" exhaust. No timing chain, rotate the engine any direction you want. Set timing to 30 degrees BTDC at full advance. You should forget trying to static time it. Too many distributors over the years , too many hands on every bug, to know for sure which one your mark is for. 4-3-2-1 clockwise starting in lower left, right two distributor spots to the right cylinders and the left two to the left side if it is set right.

But to set 30 degrees you STILL need to know where TDC is first. And you can NOT set SVSA (single vacuum single advance) distributors to 30BTDC since they actually produce up to 40-42 degrees with no mechanical component, so MUST be set static and let the distributor make all the advance it wants for the rpms and load.

There are at least 4 different sets of timing marks on VW engine pulleys. Some include a TDC mark, others do not.

Once you have a TDC mark, you only need 4 other marks to time ANY VW bug engine -
TDC for USA 67/68/69 1500s using the SVSA distributor for those years,

7.5BTDC for other countries 67-70 1300/1500s using similar SVSA distributors, plus 71+ SVDA distributors used outside the USA, and 74+ SVDA distributors used inside the USA.

10BTDC for most 1200s using SVSA distributors,

5ATDC for 71-73 DVDA distributors used in the USA

30BTDC for 009 or other centrifugal distributors

Once you have TDC, any other marks can be added (or checked to see what they are).

5ATDC is 7mm to the left of TDC
7.5BTDC is 11mm to the right of TDC
10BTDC is 15mm to the right of TDC
30BTDC is 46.5mm to the right of TDC, around the rim.

So how you you check for a TDC mark?

Remove right side valve cover, rotate engine so the timing marks are near the top and both No1 valves are loose (shut), remove No1 spark plug and place a straw into the plug hole (nothing hard which can break or catch on the plug thread please) and feel for the piston top. Now rotate the engine back and forwards to find the "null" spot - the centre of the point where the straw is not moved by the piston top. That's within a degree or two of TDC so NOW you can look at the pulley marks and work out from the list above what they are.

Some pulleys have two notches close together, usually 7.5BTDC and 10BTDC.

Some have three notches, one further to the left and two close together to the right, should be TDC, 7.5BTDC and 10BTDC.

Some have a single notch - usually 5ATDC.

Some have a dimple on the rearmost rim and a notch to the right on the foremost rim - should be TDC and 7.5BTDC.

There may be other versions I'm not familiar with too, but this method WILL tell you what you have and timing then becomes much easier.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cb747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys rock! Thank you!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you are in there....

Using a model airplane paint brush and some white or silver paint, I like to make a thin mark "l" on the pulley for TDC and a double line "ll" for BDC. Handy for adjusting valves. I also put just a tiny drop of paint, "o" for 30º TDC and one at the correct timing mark 7.5º BTDC or 5º ATDC (for the distributor that you are running).

Easier to see with the timing light. Sort of like this for Amskeptic's 73 type 4 engine looking at the idle timing for cylinder 2 at 10º ATDC....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cb747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotsa rain today and heading for a cold snap tomorrow. It may have to wait a few days Sad
cb747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok got it going where it actually idled for a few mins. Progress! Now im quite sure I need to rebuild the carb. After sitting for so many years im willing to bet its all munged up inside. Where is a good place to get a rebuild kit from?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I would just send it off to Tim at Volksbitz and have him go through it. Money well spent.

http://volkzbitz.com/
cb747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ill give him a ring Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: